• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

German 10-year sovereign bond yields turn negative for first time

The UK would be wise, in my opinion, to leave the EU.

Investors don't park their money and even pay a parking fee in places that are unhealthy. They park them in places they feel to be secure. Which happens to be Germany here.

The connection towards seeing this as a sign of bad health for the whole Union area can only arise from extreme ignorance of the current money markets.

On account of this particular development???

On account that the EU doesn't look out for the UK and seems to increasingly encroach upon the sovereignty of member nations while nations with bad policy and debt (ie Greece) are able to cause damage. If I was a citizen of the UK I would not want the EU making any decisions for my country.

On account that the EU doesn't look out for the UK and seems to increasingly encroach upon the sovereignty of member nations while nations with bad policy and debt (ie Greece) are able to cause damage. If I was a citizen of the UK I would not want the EU making any decisions for my country.
Okay, it seemed as though you were linking to the development of money markets currently reigning wrt German bonds.

Thanks for the clarification.

Then you are pro EU because the EU does not make any decisions for "my country" when it comes to state finances and most other things. Only place it has any influence is in Greece, which anyone can understand why.

And bad policy... since the EU has nothing to do with state finances, then how on earth can the EU be blamed for the poor policies of member nations? The English banking policy is horrible, so is that the EUs fault? The English housing policy is in shambles.. EU fault as well? Is the Spanish unemployment the fault of the EU, or the fault of the pathetically bad labor laws?

The EU is a trade organisation and has nothing to do with each member states over all finances. At best the 28 members have via the EU agreed on a principle set of rules that they all should be following, but the EU has no real enforcement ability because that is how the 28 member nations wanted it. But ever time a member nation has problems due to ****ty national politicians, the EU gets blamed instead of the politicians.. pathetic.

Then you are pro EU because the EU does not make any decisions for "my country" when it comes to state finances and most other things. Only place it has any influence is in Greece, which anyone can understand why.

And bad policy... since the EU has nothing to do with state finances, then how on earth can the EU be blamed for the poor policies of member nations? The English banking policy is horrible, so is that the EUs fault? The English housing policy is in shambles.. EU fault as well? Is the Spanish unemployment the fault of the EU, or the fault of the pathetically bad labor laws?

The EU is a trade organisation and has nothing to do with each member states over all finances. At best the 28 members have via the EU agreed on a principle set of rules that they all should be following, but the EU has no real enforcement ability because that is how the 28 member nations wanted it. But ever time a member nation has problems due to ****ty national politicians, the EU gets blamed instead of the politicians.. pathetic.

Really? Then what is all this one hears about the 3 percent cap on spending and the 60 percent cap on debt? Or are you referring to the fact that the members break the law and ignore the treaties unless they are small like Greece? Then you are right, of course. As "the Commission's president, Jean-Claude Juncker, said it had granted Paris budgetary leeway "because it's France". This has has even upset the Dutch Finance Minister somewhat. But the fact is the fact. The only reason that the EU does not control the finances in the member states is that the member states brake Community law with impunity.

There are nasties out there that could argue that this selective application of fundamental treaties is much worse even, the control signed away in the treaties.

The UK would be wise, in my opinion, to leave the EU.

Though, I am certainly not happy with the EU in its present form and with its historical illicit creep, I do not think that Brexit is the valid response. It would just make it worse, like letting a cancer grow instead of taking the surgery and medicine.

Back
Top Bottom