• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Georgia's Stone Mountain Park shuts down ahead of anticipated militia rally

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Georgia's Stone Mountain Park shuts down ahead of anticipated militia rally - Reuters

TLANTA (Reuters) - With internet rumors of a looming conflict between an anti-government militia, white supremacist rally-goers and counter-protesters, Georgia state officials said Stone Mountain Park, famed for its huge rock carving of Confederate leaders, will be closed to the public on Saturday.

The Three Percenters militia had applied last month to hold a more than 2,000-strong rally “to defend and protect our history and second Amendment rights” on Aug. 15 at the park northeast of Atlanta. The application was denied by state officials, who cited violence at a similar event in 2016.

But several online groups, including one dubbed “Defending Stone Mountain,” vowed to march in the park anyway and asked participants to come with Confederate and U.S. flags. Another group, the Atlanta Antifacists, vowed to hold a counter-protest.
===================================================================================
This edifice needs to go before there is more violence.

Georgia's Stone Mountain Park shuts down ahead of anticipated militia rally - Reuters

TLANTA (Reuters) - With internet rumors of a looming conflict between an anti-government militia, white supremacist rally-goers and counter-protesters, Georgia state officials said Stone Mountain Park, famed for its huge rock carving of Confederate leaders, will be closed to the public on Saturday.

The Three Percenters militia had applied last month to hold a more than 2,000-strong rally “to defend and protect our history and second Amendment rights” on Aug. 15 at the park northeast of Atlanta. The application was denied by state officials, who cited violence at a similar event in 2016.

But several online groups, including one dubbed “Defending Stone Mountain,” vowed to march in the park anyway and asked participants to come with Confederate and U.S. flags. Another group, the Atlanta Antifacists, vowed to hold a counter-protest.
===================================================================================

So, the black militia was allowed to hold their rally last month in the same location, but the white militia is not? You want to "talk" racism?!?

black-militia-at-stone-mountain-park-ga-july-4-2020.-from-wxia.-e1594149521842.png

So, the black militia was allowed to hold their rally last month in the same location, but the white militia is not? You want to "talk" racism?!?

black-militia-at-stone-mountain-park-ga-july-4-2020.-from-wxia.-e1594149521842.png

Were these guys involved in violence in a similar event in 2016 or other time at stone mountain park?

Call me when the “black militia” has killed even a tenth of the people white supremacists— like the Confederates— have over the years.

Otherwise, it’s just hysterical whataboutism from you.

Yawn. It is a big park and a tiny carving

Call me when the “black militia” has killed even a tenth of the people white supremacists— like the Confederates— have over the years.
Otherwise, it’s just hysterical whataboutism from you.

Pot meet kettle ... :lamo

I was watching a video on this earlier and as I looked at that carving in the mountain, really looked at it...it's pretty damned ugly and smacks of amateurism. The faces look cartoonish and there is a lack of consistent perspective and proportion. I've known about it all my life and I have seen pictures before, but now that I take a moment...it's just a joke of a monument to me, and I'm not even talking about the politics surrounding it. Artistically speaking, it is ugly and the only impressive thing about it is that it is large. Just my two cents.

Although, if someone were to plant charges in the middle of the night and blow the whole, ugly thing up, I'd laugh my a$$ off.

Yawn. It is a big park and a tiny carving

To the racist traitor secessionists who continue to worship it, it's their Confederate equivalent to Mt. Rushmore.

Since Trump's dream is smashed of making it onto Rushmore he might have to settle on Stone Mountain which has been called the Confederate Rushmore, although its carving is 78 by 168 feet.

Etched on it are R.E. Lee, Jefferson Davis and Stonewall Jackson who was in fact as deaf as a stone wall and is believed retrospectively to be narcoleptic. Jackson who toppled off his horse repeatedly in sudden seizures of sleep, to include going into battles, believed the Lord forbade fighting on Sunday. He was shot to death by his own men of course who said "oops" ever so dutifully. The hapless Jackson did not hear his staff shout to duck as everyone ducked except Jackson. Davis was a mad slaver and secessionist while Lee got the nick "King of Spades" for his 20 years as an engineer and digger before becoming a traitor.

KKK was restarted on Stone Mountain in 1915 with a crossburning....

An itinerant Methodist preacher named William Joseph Simmons started up the Klan again in Atlanta in 1915. Simmons, an ascetic-looking man, was a fetishist on fraternal organizations. He was already a "colonel" in the Woodmen of the World, but he decided to build an organization all his own. On Thanksgiving Eve 1915, Simmons took 15 friends to the top of Stone Mountain, near Atlanta, built an altar on which he placed an American flag, a Bible and an unsheathed sword, set fire to a crude wooden cross, muttered a few incantations about a "practical fraternity among men," and declared himself Imperial Wizard of the Invisible Empire of the Knights of the Ku Klux Klan.

Stone Mountain - Wikipedia

Stone Mountain Park opened on April 14, 1965 which was 100 years to the day Lincoln was shot. It was also one year after the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the exact year of the Voting Rights Act of 1965.

On a May night in 1928 a mail plane of USPS crashed into the mountain but the pilot got out safely with his mailbag and walked down the mountain hiking trail. God Bless the United States Postal Service and its stellar personnel. Screw the Klan and its mountain.

Pot meet kettle ... :lamo

Like I said before.....call me when the “black militia” you are pissing your pants over has killed even a tenth of the people your beloved white nationalists have.

Back
Top Bottom