• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Georgia State Patrol trooper charged with murder after shooting a Black man

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Georgia State Patrol trooper charged with murder after shooting a Black man - CNN

A Georgia State Patrol trooper has been arrested and charged with felony murder after fatally shooting a Black man during an attempted traffic stop.

Thompson attempted to stop Julian Edward Roosevelt Lewis, 60, for a traffic-related offense. When he refused to stop, Thompson gave a brief chase before using a "precision Intervention technique," sending the car to a stop in a ditch, according to the GBI.

Thompson then fired one shot, striking Lewis in the face. He was pronounced dead on the scene. An autopsy is being conducted at the GBI Crime Lab, according to the release.
13 days to lay murder charges for a Police Officer

That is greased lightening compared to other cases

Appears GBI is all over these Officer involved shooting???

Seems like an unprovoked shooting that warrants the charge.

I'm sure some law and order types will be along shortly to tell me why I'm wrong.

Might be in a coma??

Seems like an unprovoked shooting that warrants the charge.

I'm sure some law and order types will be along shortly to tell me why I'm wrong.

Of course you're not wrong, since you know all the facts.

That is a HORRIBLE article by CNN. Undisclosed traffic offense... stopped with a maneuver... shot the man in the face. How incredibly vague.

Here's an article that actually describes what happened. If these details are correct, the officer was clearly in the wrong and should be charged.

Julian Edward Roosevelt Lewis death: Jacob Gordon Thompson charged

Johnson said Lewis reportedly was being stopped by Thompson for a blown out taillight. ... The GBI reported Thompson attempted to stop a Nissan Sentra for a traffic offense on Stoney Pond Road. When Lewis did not stop, Thompson began a vehicle pursuit that went down several country roads. Thompson initiated a Precision Intervention Technique (PIT maneuver), causing Lewis’ car to crash into a ditch along the road, and Thompson discharged a round, fatally striking Lewis.

Thompson wrote in a GSP incident report after the shooting that after Lewis’ car wrecked, the trooper stopped his patrol vehicle “approximately even with the violator’s vehicle.” Thompson wrote he drew his weapon as he got out of his patrol car because he was concerned about his safety.

Lewis then revved his engine, Thompson wrote. This reportedly led Thompson to activate the light on his weapon. Thompson’s report said he saw Lewis with both hands on the steering wheel, and then “wrenching the steering wheel in an aggressive back-and-forth manner towards me and my patrol vehicle.” “It appeared to me that the violator was trying to use his vehicle to injure me,” Thompson wrote. “Being in fear for my life and safety, I discharged my weapon once.” The report from Thompson reads that he unsuccessfully tried to help Lewis.

The Georgia Department of Public Safety terminated Thompson due to his “negligence or inefficiency in performing assigned duties; or commission of a felony.”[/quote]

That is a HORRIBLE article by CNN. Undisclosed traffic offense... stopped with a maneuver... shot the man in the face. How incredibly vague.

Here's an article that actually describes what happened. If these details are correct, the officer was clearly in the wrong and should be charged.

Johnson said Lewis reportedly was being stopped by Thompson for a blown out taillight. ... The GBI reported Thompson attempted to stop a Nissan Sentra for a traffic offense on Stoney Pond Road. When Lewis did not stop, Thompson began a vehicle pursuit that went down several country roads. Thompson initiated a Precision Intervention Technique (PIT maneuver), causing Lewis’ car to crash into a ditch along the road, and Thompson discharged a round, fatally striking Lewis.

Thompson wrote in a GSP incident report after the shooting that after Lewis’ car wrecked, the trooper stopped his patrol vehicle “approximately even with the violator’s vehicle.” Thompson wrote he drew his weapon as he got out of his patrol car because he was concerned about his safety.

Lewis then revved his engine, Thompson wrote. This reportedly led Thompson to activate the light on his weapon. Thompson’s report said he saw Lewis with both hands on the steering wheel, and then “wrenching the steering wheel in an aggressive back-and-forth manner towards me and my patrol vehicle.” “It appeared to me that the violator was trying to use his vehicle to injure me,” Thompson wrote. “Being in fear for my life and safety, I discharged my weapon once.” The report from Thompson reads that he unsuccessfully tried to help Lewis.

The Georgia Department of Public Safety terminated Thompson due to his “negligence or inefficiency in performing assigned duties; or commission of a felony.”
[/QUOTE]

I watch pursuits every day on one You Tube channel and the officer never stops his car even with the car being chased.

This officer was grossly under trained.

The Georgia Department of Public Safety terminated Thompson due to his “negligence or inefficiency in performing assigned duties; or commission of a felony.”

Thank you

I was surprised on time from shooting to charges laid, 13 days.

That is incredibly fast with an Officer involved killing

Let me know when an officer kills someone and forgets to claim that he feared for his life.

The car crashed out in a ditch. He doesn't even say it is moving. Just that the guy is moving the wheel around. And that makes him so scared he shoots the guy in the face? He doesn't get back into his cruiser and box the car in...he just blows the guy away, because he was scared at a steering wheel being turned aggressively?

Last edited:

I watch pursuits every day on one You Tube channel and the officer never stops his car even with the car being chased.

This officer was grossly under trained.[/QUOTE]

I agree, it's extremely rare, and done only in very controlled situations, with plenty of support. Lone officer = never.

Let me know when an officer kills someone and forgets to claim that he feared for his life.

The car crashed out in a ditch. He doesn't even say it is moving. Just that the guy is moving the wheel around. And that makes him so scared he shoots the guy in the face? He doesn't get back into his cruiser and box the car in...he just blows the guy away, because he was scared at a steering wheel being turned aggressively?

That caught my attention too. The fact he actually put that in the report shows that he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed.

This officer was grossly under trained.
What usually happens?

What usually happens?

They stop their cars further back and use their doors for cover until the suspect is out of the car and they do a felony arrest.

This lone officer should never have gotten that close until he had the situation under control. It was obvious the guy in the ditch wasn't going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom