• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Georgia Runoff

It's too early to tell.

Way too early to tell. Two major things coming up that will go a long way in how people vote and what turnout in Ga will be like.

The first is some sort of COVID package, if the GOP does not pass something soon that will bring out a lot more people to vote against them.

The second is the government funding. It runs out on Dec 11th I believe. A Govt shutdown right before Christmas would also bring out people to vote against the Repubs

It's 50-50 in both races. Runoffs down here usually get only about half the turnout as during the general election. But this one probably will be different since it the senate involved. Each side has their worries though. Republicans are worried since Trump lost that his supporters won't turn out for the runoffs. That their enthusiasm for voting has waned. Then the democrats since Biden won, they worry about turnout as Democrats are happy with Biden's win and they might not attach much importance to the runoffs. They accomplished their task of getting rid of Trump.

A third worry is independents. They made up 28% of those who voted here in Georgia during the general. They also went to Biden by a 54-43 margin. With all the out of state money flowing into Georgia, estimated at 300 million or more and all the negative ads being run against all four runoff candidates, there's a worry that independents, the non-affiliate won't turnout to vote becoming totally disgusted with all four candidates. Besides, they're non-affiliate, they don't have a horse in this race as that horse was chosen for them, not by them.

The fourth factor is Libertarians, their candidate Hazel received 2.4% of the vote in the general. Usually in a runoff their vote goes to the Republican, but again it becomes a matter of turnout.

No one knows the answer to those four questions.
We'll see. It's also possible that Democrats will be revved up to do it again. Especially since Stacy Abrams will be urging them to get it done.

We'll see. It's also possible that Democrats will be revved up to do it again. Especially since Stacy Abrams will be urging them to get it done.

The actions or inactions by the Senate over the next month will be a huge factor in the outcome.

There are also right wing talking heads that are calling on the Repubs of Ga to punish the GOP for not supporting Trump more in his bid to overturn the election. They are telling rightwingers to stay home or write in Trump's name on the ballot.

Way too early to tell. Two major things coming up that will go a long way in how people vote and what turnout in Ga will be like.

The first is some sort of COVID package, if the GOP does not pass something soon that will bring out a lot more people to vote against them.

The second is the government funding. It runs out on Dec 11th I believe. A Govt shutdown right before Christmas would also bring out people to vote against the Repubs
I think we'll avoid a government shut down. There is a limit to Republican stupidity.

I think we'll avoid a government shut down. There is a limit to Republican stupidity.

but is there a limit to Trump's stupidity and his pettiness?

The actions or inactions by the Senate over the next month will be a huge factor in the outcome.

There are also right wing talking heads that are calling on the Repubs of Ga to punish the GOP for not supporting Trump more in his bid to overturn the election. They are telling rightwingers to stay home or write in Trump's name on the ballot.
Maybe the Maga'ts and the GOP will eat each other, like the Gingham Dog and the Calico Cat. 😁

but is there a limit to Trump's stupidity and his pettiness?
Trump's? Absolutely not. Republicans, though, have a strong sense of personal survival. It's been at the heart of their support for Trump, despite his obvious depravity. If it comes to a choice between themselves and Trump, they'll choose themselves.

Trump's? Absolutely not. Republicans, though, have a strong sense of personal survival. It's been at the heart of their support for Trump, despite his obvious depravity. If it comes to a choice between themselves and Trump, they'll choose themselves.

But Trump has to sign whatever they send him, and that is not a sure thing with his state of mind

But Trump has to sign whatever they send him, and that is not a sure thing with his state of mind
Good point. I don't know if enough Republicans are sane enough to override a veto.

I've come to the conclusion that anything is possible. There's probably at least twenty more possibilities than I listed in my post. The only thing for sure is I am hearing a lot of complaints about all the negative political ads coming hot and heavy from both sides. They will either enhanced turnout or deplete it, flip a coin as to which one.

The only thing sure at this point is each race is 50-50. We've had a fairly large influx of folks from the Northeast, New York, Pennsylvania and the like over the last 10 years or so. It seems they brought their politics with them and along with them they are turning Georgia blue.

I've come to the conclusion that anything is possible. There's probably at least twenty more possibilities than I listed in my post. The only thing for sure is I am hearing a lot of complaints about all the negative political ads coming hot and heavy from both sides. They will either enhanced turnout or deplete it, flip a coin as to which one.

The only thing sure at this point is each race is 50-50. We've had a fairly large influx of folks from the Northeast, New York, Pennsylvania and the like over the last 10 years or so. It seems they brought their politics with them and along with them they are turning Georgia blue.
Strange days indeed. 😁
You have my sympathies for having to endure another month of campaign nastiness.

well its true some big corporations pay no income taxes. but they pay social security and related taxes on their employees (FICA). their employees pay millions in income taxes, FICA payments, sales taxes, property taxes, sales taxes etc.
And I'm not saying there isn't an abundance of different taxes depending on where you live. While you and I discuss those taxes the government is spending billions off the books of our tax dollars. We have the budget and then we have the black budget. We piss money away finding new and ingenious ways to kill each other more accurately. Our politicians line their pockets and when out of politics start lobbying and consulting for different companies. We fight each other over $1200 and in the big scheme of things, that's a drop in the huge bucket.

I would somewhat disagree ... the biggest difference will be Biden's inability to respond to unscripted questions, especially when he's on the hot seat. The beauty of a Biden administration is when they'll be on defense -- when their decisions resonate with the electorate.

inability to respond to scripted questions? Are you ****ing kidding? 😂

Looking good for Republicans in Georgia: Maintain the majority in the Senate and +10 in the House. Too bad Biden won't get to focus on his agenda for at least the next two years.
I agree with you, but the election hasn't been yet: Don't count your chickens before they're hatched

I would somewhat disagree. The biggest difference will be Biden's inability to respond to unscripted questions, especially when he's on the hot seat. The beauty of a Biden administration is when they'll be on defense - when their decisions resonate with the electorate.

It is not possible to know anything about Donald Trump and think you are not perfectly describing him with this statement. You also cannot possibly think Joe Biden will ever be on the hot seat if you know anything about him.

Why do you pretend your fake god is not the one doing this crap?

It is not possible to know anything about Donald Trump and think you are not perfectly describing him with this statement. You also cannot possibly think Joe Biden will ever be on the hot seat if you know anything about him.

Why do you pretend your fake god is not the one doing this crap?

Donald Trump is a thing of the past .. he's irrelevant. Joe Biden is the president elect, and it's very evident his ability to clearly articulate thought unscripted is in significant decline. Looking forward to his future state gaffes and confusion.

straighten the economy out by jacking up taxes to a punitive level and driving corporations and investment out of the USA?

Especially since the democrats make their donors rich by treasonous levels of immigration and free trade. So they drive up taxes and jobs will go away because they’ll cut taxes and tariffs and import restrictions on Chinese goods. Then import workers to take the jobs Americans have left.

Right now I'm mad as hell. After watching the local news it was reported that between 300-500 million dollars from out of state money is flowing into Georgia. Along with visits from every politician in both parties. It seems to me we Georgian's are nothing more than a pawn in this high stakes national game. That we Georgian's really don't have a say in electing our own senators without outside interference and shenanigans in our election.

The only question left is which party will buy Georgia's two senate seats. Georgia or Georgian's don't have much say it seems outside of being used as pawns by both major political parties. Both major parties as far as I'm concerned can stick it where the sun don't shine. I am not about to help either one. To Hell with them.

I thought this video quite interesting.
I found it disturbing, but typical of Trump. It is sad to see the President spread false or misinformation regarding the election.

Back
Top Bottom