• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Georgia prosecutor reveals timeline for Trump criminal investigation

ouch

Air Muscle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
At least we have one DA walking the walk for justice. June 1, 2022!! 🍿 (y) 🍿

Fulton County's district attorney said she expects witness testimonies to begin June 1 in a criminal investigation into whether former President Donald Trump tried to overturn the 2020 election results illegally in Georgia.

Selection for a special purpose grand jury will begin May 2, but witness testimonies won't start until after the Georgia primaries on May 24, District Attorney Fani Willis told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"I don’t want anyone to say, ‘Oh, she’s doing this because she wants to influence the outcome of this upcoming election,'" Willis said in an interview Monday. "The people will decide the outcome of this upcoming election. It will have nothing to do with this district attorney’s office.”

Fulton County's district attorney said she expects witness testimonies to begin June 1 in a criminal investigation into whether former President Donald Trump tried to overturn the 2020 election results illegally in Georgia.

Selection for a special purpose grand jury will begin May 2, but witness testimonies won't start until after the Georgia primaries on May 24, District Attorney Fani Willis told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"I don’t want anyone to say, ‘Oh, she’s doing this because she wants to influence the outcome of this upcoming election,'" Willis said in an interview Monday. "The people will decide the outcome of this upcoming election. It will have nothing to do with this district attorney’s office.”
I sure hope Merrick Garland is seeing this and perhaps a little embarrassed by it. But the reality is, it should have never taken this long for The Fulton County DA to get going with this.

What in the hell is going on with these people? What are they so afraid of?

Even if the DA were to get a criminal indictment, I find it impossible that there wouldn't be at least on Trumper on the jury. And one, is all it takes!

Hmm yes, wouldn't want revelations of someone trying to steal an election to be shared with the masses, that might affect their decisions!

Her first witness should be Raffensperger. Let's see if he perjures himself.

Even if the DA were to get a criminal indictment, I find it impossible that there wouldn't be at least on Trumper on the jury. And one, is all it takes!
Your likely right about that especially in Georgia. But does that mean Trump just goes free because some juror might vote to acquit? These prosecutors need to grow some gonads and go for it. If they take a loss, so be it. There are so many possible cases against Trump, all it takes is one conviction and decent sentence to be rid of this guy.

There's always the possibility that Trump may feel overwhelmed and take a plea to a lesser charge. Still a conviction.

Your likely right about that especially in Georgia.

That's why I mentioned it.

But does that mean Trump just goes free because some juror might vote to acquit? These prosecutors need to grow some gonads and go for it. If they take a loss, so be it. There are so many possible cases against Trump, all it takes is one conviction and decent sentence to be rid of this guy.

There's always the possibility that Trump may feel overwhelmed and take a plea to a lesser charge. Still a conviction.

Yes.

Well, 'yes' if there's a trial. I'm not saying that likelihood should deter the trial, however. Just as the Senate acquitting did not deter the House from impeaching Trump - twice!

I sure hope Merrick Garland is seeing this and perhaps a little embarrassed by it. But the reality is, it should have never taken this long for The Fulton County DA to get going with this.

Garland will wait until the 1/6 congressional investigation is done before starting in earnest.

...then he gets tried again, knowing X jurors voted to convict. He can plead it out, meanwhile the evidence with bleed out.

Last edited:
Kemp will just pardon him..watch

...then he gets tried again, knowing X jurors voted to convict. He can plead it out, meanwhile the evidence with bleed out.

That would be Double Jeopardy.

I share in your frustration about this dragging out. If not mistaken, didn't Ms Willis receive a lot of death threats, when she first announced bringing this case against DJT? There may have been a time-consuming effort to increase security with both where her office is and her home, in which also would include protection for her family members. That possibly contributed to the delay.

Yup, it just takes one dimwit to spoil this path to justice. On the upside to this, even if that "one" prevents what's coming to DJT, there should be more exposure of evidence to reach the news for all to see. DJT won't be the first corrupt criminal to walk freely in our society, but they do so with a blk cloud that follows them. In DJT's case, his blk cloud will grow larger.

Kemp will just pardon him..watch
ugh!

If that were to happen, hopefully, such action should deservingly pull his political pants down for all to see.

Yup, it just takes one dimwit to spoil this path to justice. On the upside to this, even if that "one" prevents what's coming to DJT, there should be more exposure of evidence to reach the news for all to see. DJT won't be the first corrupt criminal to walk freely in our society, but they do so with a blk cloud that follows them. In DJT's case, his blk cloud will grow larger.

Yep.

The thing is, I strongly support the basic tenets of the judicial process.

So, I can do nothing but accept the results.

Garland will wait until the 1/6 congressional investigation is done before starting in earnest.
Well, we certainly hope so.
ugh!

If that were to happen, hopefully, such action should deservingly pull his political pants down for all to see.
Unlike Trump, I believe Kemp has at least a little shame. I suspect he would steer clear of a pardon for Trump. Though I have been wrong before.

ugh!

To what affect?

Trump pardoned all his criminal cohorts, and his supporters call for more!

We're talking authoritarianism, here.

Your likely right about that especially in Georgia. But does that mean Trump just goes free because some juror might vote to acquit? These prosecutors need to grow some gonads and go for it. If they take a loss, so be it. There are so many possible cases against Trump, all it takes is one conviction and decent sentence to be rid of this guy.

I was recently in an overs-zed jury pool of about 80 citizens, all for a jury of just 12 people. I suppose they anticipated that there would be a large number of "strikes" by the two parties in this civil trial. The Harris County civil case had to do with a republican candidate suing for relief against another republican candidate AND the local County Republican Party head. The voir dire process was hilarious. They came right out and asked for a show of hands of people who identified as democrats, and then [proceeded to ask questions about whether each such Democrat could be impartial in rendering a verdict. Many took that opportunity to say no, they could be impartial, certainly in hopes of being excused from serving.

Why am I telling this tale? Because I suppose the selection of jurors for said trial would start with a jury pool 3 times as large as mine was, and the cross examining voir dire process would take multiple days, and the number of strikes for each side would be a lot. Because it would otherwise lead to easily to mistrial claims.

There are many allegations. Turning one into a 'case' or an charge for a crime would be the first step. Being a jerk, lying, challenging election results, filing lawsuits or even planning to use procedural maneuvers, aren't crimes We are far, far, from talking about juries and plea bargains.

This specific issue has a big obstacle - in that the 'smoking gun' of a conference call was an attorney facilitated settlement conference. They are designed to allow more freedom for the parties to express themselves - the idea being that the courts and the public WANT cases to be settled. The statements there were pretty vague in any case. It's going to require a LOT more than that to bring any type of official oppression charges.

To what affect?

Trump pardoned all his criminal cohorts, and his supporters call for more!

We're talking authoritarianism, here.
Little if any, imo. I get it. We're now in times to which corruption and acts of crime has little effect on people anymore. Especially in the deep South like it has for hundreds of years. Political scumbags are widely accepted as the new normal now - nationally. DJT ran this country of ours through a steroidal amount of scum-baggery, lies and crime that's kept him a popular reality cult leader to this day. There's little that dings politicians in places like Ga. Only when one scoffs at religion do they draw stink eyes. But, for whatever it's worth and if Kemp were to pardon DJT, that still admits a bad smell that continues to expose Ga's moral compass already snortin' for air in their sh*tty swamp. You're basically correct - nothing really changes with the willfully ignorant. I personally won't sink to their level and stand up to the sh*ts with their tell tell pants down around their ankles. (y)

This timeline was set months ago. I'm not sure what the reasoning was, but at least it put a date on the calendar.

Maybe there will be some justice against donald this time? I'm not holding my breath.

Maybe there will be some justice against donald this time? I'm not holding my breath.
There it is. I'd rather it be tried than not - even if it might mean that the slippery lawyered-up sh*t slithers out of another one. Just like how OJ slithered out being officially tagged a criminal murderer - public opinion knows that he is.

Back
Top Bottom