• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Georgia’s repulsive new election law is Exhibit A in the GOP’s war on voting rights

But that is the point,republicans are not making 'every effort' to get them one, they are making every effort to make it as difficult as possible to vote.
Well, then you and I both disagree with them on that particular issue.

Please elaborate on how they are making it as difficult as possible to vote, citing the law itself.

Please elaborate on how they are making it as difficult as possible to vote, citing the law itself.

Making it more difficult to vote, is a more correct assessment, as to whether that equals 'as difficult as possible' that would be a value judgement, an opinion,
but making it more difficult is a safe assessment.

The Brennan Center are being fair, noting they listed all of the expansive proposals, as well.

Making it more difficult to vote, is a more correct assessment, as to whether that equals 'as difficult as possible' that would be a value judgement, an opinion,
but making it more difficult is a safe assessment.

The Brennan Center are being fair, noting they listed all of the expansive proposals, as well.
This is the Brennan Center being fair: In a backlash to historic voter turnout in the 2020 general election, and grounded in a rash of baseless and racist allegations of voter fraud and election irregularities,

No axe to grind at all....

Even the slightest security measure is "more difficult" than nothing. The question should be are the security measures unreasonably difficult. Let's look at some of these horrible restrictions:

Georgia lawmakers reportedly plan to introduce bills to require an excuse to cast an absentee ballot, mandate photo ID when returning an absentee ballot, and ban ballot drop boxes, among other harsh restrictions.
Well that's the end of democracy right there. Absentee ballots are less secure than voting in person. Photo ID is not unreasonable. Ballot drop boxes are not particularly secure either.

Let's take a look at some of the rest of the "harsh restrictions":

Witness signatures: Four states have introduced legislation to make it harder to satisfy existing witness requirements. Arizona’s bill would also require all mail ballots to be notarized. South Carolina’s bill would require a witness to include their driver’s license or state voter registration number, and Virginia’s bill would ask witnesses to print their name and provide their residential address.

Having a ballot notarized might be a bit much, but I don't think asking a voter to include their ID number or asking a witness to print their name and address is voter suppression.

New Hampshire has also introduced a bill that would require voters to include a photocopy of their photo ID with their absentee ballot applications and their completed mail ballot

Oh, the horror!

I have said several times the Republican Party is in a heap of trouble. No Republican on this forum has disputed that fact.

The party has spent the first months of the Biden administration rewriting electoral laws to suppress minority votes and denying the truth of Trump's Capitol insurrection.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell unleashed a fearsome attack on "woke" corporations that reacted to a discriminatory voting law in Georgia. McConnell, at least in his rhetoric, sounded a lot like Trump with his countless lies. "Businesses must not use economic blackmail to spread disinformation and push bad ideas that citizens reject at the ballot box," McConnell said.

No one knows what McConnell is talking about. Again, that is reminiscent of Trump's four years in the Oval Office. Half the time, no one knew what he was talking about, either. What economic blackmail and, if so, what caused it? What disinformation? What bad ideas? When did citizens reject bad ideas at the ballot box?

In fact, what Georgia voters rejected at the ballot box -- causing the GOP to change the laws -- was a second term for Trump and two Republican senators.

But, of course, McConnell is speaking to Trump's uninformed, intelligence challenged cult members. They are likely to believe everything McConnell says regardless of reality.

This is the Brennan Center being fair: In a backlash to historic voter turnout in the 2020 general election, and grounded in a rash of baseless and racist allegations of voter fraud and election irregularities,

No axe to grind at all....

Even the slightest security measure is "more difficult" than nothing. The question should be are the security measures unreasonably difficult. Let's look at some of these horrible restrictions:

Georgia lawmakers reportedly plan to introduce bills to require an excuse to cast an absentee ballot, mandate photo ID when returning an absentee ballot, and ban ballot drop boxes, among other harsh restrictions.
Well that's the end of democracy right there. Absentee ballots are less secure than voting in person. Photo ID is not unreasonable. Ballot drop boxes are not particularly secure either.

Let's take a look at some of the rest of the "harsh restrictions":

Witness signatures: Four states have introduced legislation to make it harder to satisfy existing witness requirements. Arizona’s bill would also require all mail ballots to be notarized. South Carolina’s bill would require a witness to include their driver’s license or state voter registration number, and Virginia’s bill would ask witnesses to print their name and provide their residential address.

Having a ballot notarized might be a bit much, but I don't think asking a voter to include their ID number or asking a witness to print their name and address is voter suppression.

New Hampshire has also introduced a bill that would require voters to include a photocopy of their photo ID with their absentee ballot applications and their completed mail ballot

Oh, the horror!

All these requirements are designed to solve a problem that does not exist. Voter fraud does not exist. That was proven recently by 60 court cases, the Supreme Court, countless investigations, and all 50 states certification of voting results.

Voting should be made easy to encourage participation, not harder.

However, no one is fooling anyone. We know why Republican are enacting voter restrictions.

All these requirements are designed to solve a problem that does not exist. Voter fraud does not exist. That was proven recently by 60 court cases, the Supreme Court, countless investigations, and all 50 states certification of voting results.

Voting should be made easy to encourage participation, not harder.

However, no one is fooling anyone. We know why Republican are enacting voter restrictions.
I'm sure you think you do. The question is, is it really to much to ask to have a witness supply their name and address? Is providing a copy of your ID really going to keep you from voting?

Georgia’s repulsive new election law is Exhibit A in the GOP’s war on voting rights

BB1eYxMT.img

Georgia police arresting State Rep. Park Cannon for protesting the state's new JIm Crow voting laws.

This is just despicable, in your face racism by the Georgia Republican Party.

They're going back to 1950 even if they have to destroy democracy to do so.
keep talking about it ....... the bogus GOP right wing nut party is simply anti american ........

Don't hold your breath. All they know is talking points.

Don't hold your breath. All they know is talking points.
I've noticed. I've tried to get people to cite the proposed law directly, but not many takers.

I'm sure you think you do. The question is, is it really to much to ask to have a witness supply their name and address? Is providing a copy of your ID really going to keep you from voting?

Not me, but these restrictions are not meant for someone like me.

And you know it!

Not me, but these restrictions are not meant for someone like me.

And you know it!
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I realize that crying "racism" is the go-to thing these days when you can't come up with a rational answer, but I don't think that writing down your name and address is too much to ask of ANYBODY.

Back
Top Bottom