• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Georgetown undergrads back fee to fund slavery reparations

Master Debator

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Georgetown undergrads back fee to fund slavery reparations - CBS News

The student-led proposal aims to atone for the Jesuit-organized sale of 272 slaves in 1838. Fees would go toward projects in underprivileged communities where some 4,000 descendants live, including Maringouin, Louisiana.

This is a non binding resolution by the student body but another positive story that pushes the conversation forward and creates a national discussion and if we do that we win. Its going to become increasingly difficult for the institutions, companies, and our government to deny there is a financial debt owed to these decendents. Coincidently they've identified over 4,000 decendents from the sale of 272 slaves on 1838, some of whom attend the school now under their legacy program. I guess recent claims from some posters about it being nearly impossible to identify decendents of slaves were slightly exaggerated. Who knew...

This is a non binding resolution by the student body but another positive story that pushes the conversation forward and creates a national discussion and if we do that we win. Its going to become increasingly difficult for the institutions, companies, and our government to deny there is a financial debt owed to these decendents. Coincidently they've identified over 4,000 decendents from the sale of 272 slaves on 1838, some of whom attend the school now under their legacy program. I guess recent claims from some posters about it being nearly impossible to identify decendents of slaves were slightly exaggerated. Who knew...
Define repairations.

Sent from my SM-T587P using Tapatalk

Truly great news - thank you for sharing! :)

Hello?! You out there? If you won't define reparations then how do you expect to discuss it?

Some of my ancestors on my father's side were killed in coal mines. They were Scottish, but were treated as Irish. My mother's side was Jewish, and some of those ancestors died in Hitler's death camps. Reparations? Sure, I'll take them. What? I'm not eligible? Now why is that?

The debt can only be paid by the people that did the injury.
Forcing people who did not do injury to pay for something is technically illegal in this country.

Coincidently they've identified over 4,000 decendents from the sale of 272 slaves on 1838, some of whom attend the school now under their legacy program

those decendents are not slaves though. they suffered no injury of slavery to be awarded anything.

Some of my ancestors on my father's side were killed in coal mines. They were Scottish, but were treated as Irish. My mother's side was Jewish, and some of those ancestors died in Hitler's death camps. Reparations? Sure, I'll take them. What? I'm not eligible? Now why is that?

Why do you say you're not eligible?

Why is that?

Knock yourself out with my support.

:)

Why wouldn't you be eligible for reparations for race slavery?

The debt can only be paid by the people that did the injury.
Forcing people who did not do injury to pay for something is technically illegal in this country.

Coincidently they've identified over 4,000 decendents from the sale of 272 slaves on 1838, some of whom attend the school now under their legacy program

those decendents are not slaves though. they suffered no injury of slavery to be awarded anything.

Who is forcing anyone to pay anything?

Why are so many of the people who oppose reparations so quick to cast themselves as victims of some imaginary demand for payment?

Weird...

They can't even pay their student loans, but they want the rest of us to pay out trillions for something none of us did.

I could see reparations to those who were slaves and perhaps their sons and daughters. 150 years or more after the fact when there isn't a single person alive who was a slave or an immediate decedent of a slave. No one alive today is responsible for what happened 150 plus years ago. I more or less look on this as an effort to extort free money from those who didn't have a thing to do with slavery for those who weren't slaves or their immediate decedents.

The whole idea is asinine. Reparations will do nothing at all to solve this countries racial problem. It nothing more than a feel good idea probably from those whites whose ancestors hadn't even come to this country yet when slavery ended in 1865.

If we are thinking about giving reparations to what, 7th generation of those who were slaves. Then we should give the 7th generation of those who fought for the Union to free the slaves some cash also. Fair is fair.

Build a fire for a man, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for a lifetime. :mrgreen:

I believe that's what they call a thread win.

Who is forcing anyone to pay anything?

Why are so many of the people who oppose reparations so quick to cast themselves as victims of some imaginary demand for payment?

Weird...
Define it!

I want your thoughts....not some vague Google links....could it be that you don't know either?

What are your thoughts?

Let's start there.

Why wouldn't you be eligible for reparations for race slavery?

You answer that. The Irish were held as slaves in the coal mines, and were forced to do the most dangerous work, which killed many of them.

They can't even pay their student loans, but they want the rest of us to pay out trillions for something none of us did.

"They" can't?

"They" do?

Weird...

But yeah, college should be free.

I could see reparations to those who were slaves and perhaps their sons and daughters. 150 years or more after the fact when there isn't a single person alive who was a slave or an immediate decedent of a slave. No one alive today is responsible for what happened 150 plus years ago. I more or less look on this as an effort to extort free money from those who didn't have a thing to do with slavery for those who weren't slaves or their immediate decedents.

The whole idea is asinine. Reparations will do nothing at all to solve this countries racial problem. It nothing more than a feel good idea probably from those whites whose ancestors hadn't even come to this country yet when slavery ended in 1865.

If we are thinking about giving reparations to what, 7th generation of those who were slaves. Then we should give the 7th generation of those who fought for the Union to free the slaves some cash also. Fair is fair.

Weird that there's so much opposition to something so fair and moral.

But some of the naysayers on this also oppose socialized medicine, so maybe it's the same bizarre mindset.

The very real and devastating legacy of slavery?

Meh. :roll:

Some imaginary injury to white people?

End of the world!!!!! :bomb:

Back
Top Bottom