• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

George Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting, official says

Rhapsody1447

Skeptical Optimist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
George Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting, official says - The Washington Post

Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey plans to announce as early as Wednesday afternoon that she is charging neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in the shooting ofTrayvon Martin, according to a law enforcement official close to the investigation.It was not immediately clear what charge Zimmerman will face.

Martin, 17 and unarmed, was shot and killed Feb. 26 by Zimmerman, who said he was acting in self-defense. Police in Sanford, Fla., where the shooting took place, did not charge Zimmerman, citing the state’s “stand your ground” law.
Corey told reporters Tuesday night that she would hold a news conference about the case within 72 hours. A news release from her office said the event will be held in Sanford or Jacksonville, Fla.
Benjamin Crump, who is representing the Martin family, said this week that Corey’s office had asked where Trayvon’s parents would be each day this week. They arrived Wednesday in Washington for a civil rights conference organized by the Rev. Al Sharpton, where they are scheduled to speak.
The announcement of a charge against Zimmerman would come a day after Zimmerman’s attorneys withdrew from the case, citing their inability to contact Zimmerman.
Lawyers Craig Sonner and Hal Uhrig on Tuesday expressed concern about Zimmerman’s emotional and physical well-being, saying he has taken actions without consulting them. They also said they do not know where Zimmerman is.
“You can stop looking in Florida,” Uhrig told reporters. “Look much further away than that.”
Corey said Monday that she would not bring the case before a grand jury, which was expected to convene this week. She said her decision to forgo the grand jury should not be viewed as a factor in determining whether charges will be filed.
Corey has indicated in recent weeks that she might not need a grand jury to bring charges against Zimmerman.
The lawyers said they stand by their assertions that Zimmerman acted in self-defense when he killed the 17-year-old, who was unarmed, but they acknowledged that they formed their impressions without meeting Zimmerman.

Looks like this will be the next major court case to follow over the next couple years. I can't see anyone being upset by this, both sides should be glad to see the issue vetted in the proper way.

Last edited:
Now we can finally have a trial in a courtroom instead of the media.

Im glad they are doing this

Duh! Once she announced that she wouldn't use a grand jury, you knew she was going to press charges. This is not the proper way, the proper way would of been to present the evidence to a grand jury.

That was smart move... In fact, it was the only way to avoid rioting in my opinion.

That was smart move... In fact, it was the only way to avoid rioting in my opinion.

I sincerely hope that did not factor into the decision.

Duh! Once she announced that she wouldn't use a grand jury, you knew she was going to press charges. This is not the proper way, the proper way would of been to present the evidence to a grand jury.

Uhhhh, no. A Grand Jury is only necessary in Florida if the charge is first-degree murder. Look it up.

Zimmerman's actions were reckless, and he deserves to be charged with manslaughter. However, I believe second degree murder is a little excessive. Could be that the judge will allow the jury to consider manslaughter in their deliberations.

I sincerely hope that did not factor into the decision.

I doubt it. I think she seems like a credible person and highly professional, and analysts said she is tough but consistant. I doubt she is biased or would do anything unprofessional. Hopefully not.

Are you crazy??? You think the media will stop now???

No, but lying lawyers will have to reconcile what they say in the court room with the crap they spew in front of a camera at least.

Because rioting would happen otherwise. That's what they do.

Last edited:
Zimmerman's actions were reckless, and he deserves to be charged with manslaughter. However, I believe second degree murder is a little excessive. Could be that the judge will allow the jury to consider manslaughter in their deliberations.

I'm guessing that perhaps they are setting up a plea deal to plea 2nd degree down to manslaughter?

I'm guessing that perhaps they are setting up a plea deal to plea 2nd degree down to manslaughter?

For my own selfish reasons, i dont want a plea bargain. I want a trial so we can all know what happened. A plea bargain settles nothing for us who have been debating this!!! :)

So what exactly does 2nd degree murder mean in florida?

I just walked away from the TV. The special prosecutor referred to the Martin parents as "sweet people." How about sticking to the facts, lady?

Oh, and how about a little gravitas? Bah, I'll read the news summaries online.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it means you killed someone?

Up to life in prison. It means he had no legal right to kill Martin. That he did not act in self defense in any manner.

Well can you describe the gap between that and manslaughter in Florida by definition? Would that be more of an accidental death kind of thing with an apparent legal right to kill Martin?

Up to life in prison. It means he had no legal right to kill Martin. That he did not act in self defense in any manner.

Thank you.

Well can you describe the gap between that and manslaughter in Florida by definition? Would that be more of an accidental death kind of thing with an apparent legal right to kill Martin?

That's what I was asking. Guess I'm just not as good as you in questioning, eh? :roll:

Last edited:

I am not sure either. I am watching Angela Corey's press conference now, but she is talking about the exact charges.

Don't think second degree murder will fly. Seems a manslaughter charge would be appropriate, at least based on the info at there now. Maybe there's more the DA has seen. But might be as pRob mentioned, bid high and take a lower plea.

FL Law Defs:
Second Degree Murder - (2) The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Manslaughter - (1) The killing of a human being by the act, procurement, or culpable negligence of another, without lawful justification according to the provisions of chapter 776 and in cases in which such killing shall not be excusable homicide or murder, according to the provisions of this chapter, is manslaughter, a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

To prove Second degree, seems that you'd have to prove Zimmerman had a depraved mind. Seems to be the only difference between the two. Wouldn't make much difference, punishments appear to be the same.

Last edited:
Don't think second degree murder will fly. Seems a manslaughter charge would be appropriate, at least based on the info at there now. Maybe there's more the DA has seen. But might be as pRob mentioned, bid high and take a lower plea.

FL Law Defs:
Second Degree Murder - (2) The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Manslaughter - (1) The killing of a human being by the act, procurement, or culpable negligence of another, without lawful justification according to the provisions of chapter 776 and in cases in which such killing shall not be excusable homicide or murder, according to the provisions of this chapter, is manslaughter, a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

To prove Second degree, seems that you'd have to prove Zimmerman had a depraved mind. Seems to be the only difference between the two. Wouldn't make much difference, punishments appear to be the same.

I agree. Manslaughter seems to be the more suitable charge to pursue.

FL Law Defs:

If I'm reading the statute correctly, it is similar to California's law. 2nd degree requires an "intent" to kill, albeit not premediated. Manslaughter does not require an intent to kill. It only requires negligence.

Back
Top Bottom