• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

George Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting, official says

I agree. Manslaughter seems to be the more suitable charge to pursue.
Not really. If the jury rejects self-defense, then it would appear that the proper charge would be second degree murder unless they completely reject everything that Zimmerman claims and finds it to have been an act of negligence in which can manslaughter would be the proper charge.

Not really. If the jury rejects self-defense, then it would appear that the proper charge would be second degree murder unless they completely reject everything that Zimmerman claims and finds it to have been an act of negligence in which can manslaughter would be the proper charge.

I think I just heard Fox News say they are seeking 2nd degree murder charges.

Don't think second degree murder will fly. Seems a manslaughter charge would be appropriate, at least based on the info at there now. Maybe there's more the DA has seen. But might be as pRob mentioned, bid high and take a lower plea.

FL Law Defs:
Second Degree Murder - (2) The unlawful killing of a human being, when perpetrated by any act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind regardless of human life, although without any premeditated design to effect the death of any particular individual, is murder in the second degree and constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Manslaughter - (1) The killing of a human being by the act, procurement, or culpable negligence of another, without lawful justification according to the provisions of chapter 776 and in cases in which such killing shall not be excusable homicide or murder, according to the provisions of this chapter, is manslaughter, a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

To prove Second degree, seems that you'd have to prove Zimmerman had a depraved mind. Seems to be the only difference between the two. Wouldn't make much difference, punishments appear to be the same.
You did not go down far enough in 782.04:
(3) When a person is killed in the perpetration of, or in the attempt to perpetrate, any:
(a) Trafficking offense prohibited by s. 893.135(1),
(b) Arson,
(c) Sexual battery,
(d) Robbery,
(e) Burglary,
(f) Kidnapping,
(g) Escape,
(h) Aggravated child abuse,
(i) Aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult,
(j) Aircraft piracy,
(k) Unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb,
(l) Carjacking,
(m) Home-invasion robbery,
(n) Aggravated stalking,
(o) Murder of another human being,
(p) Resisting an officer with violence to his or her person, or
(q) Felony that is an act of terrorism or is in furtherance of an act of terrorism,
by a person other than the person engaged in the perpetration of or in the attempt to perpetrate such felony, the person perpetrating or attempting to perpetrate such felony is guilty of murder in the second degree, which constitutes a felony of the first degree, punishable by imprisonment for a term of years not exceeding life or as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

Trayvon was child under Florida law.

Uhhhh, no. A Grand Jury is only necessary in Florida if the charge is first-degree murder. Look it up.
Still doesn't mean its proper.

That was smart move... In fact, it was the only way to avoid rioting in my opinion.

That is the most bull**** reason for making this move, that I could imagine. That shows cowardice and a willingness to put forth a sacrificial lamb to be slaughtered. Shame on her.

That is the most bull**** reason for making this move, that I could imagine. That shows cowardice and a willingness to put forth a sacrificial lamb to be slaughtered. Shame on her.

Surely, you saw this coming. It was only a matter of time.

Surely, you saw this coming. It was only a matter of time.
Really, you are in agreement with the idea that they were absolutely going to riot?

Last edited:
I'm upset about it, because this is taking place for political reasons.

Let the kangaroo court begin.

and yet another one talking as if they know all the cards that the special prosecutor is holding.

Is that the angle you are going to stick with? that the special prosecutor doesn't have a legal position but just a political position on this? Wow. The house of cards is crumbling down and those that didn't stay objective enough through the process are now having to justify their absolute stances they took.

I knew when I came on here during lunch at least one person would say this is for political reasons. Anyways, I'm surprised they charged him so severely and I too believe they will bring it down to a lesser charge in the end. Either way you
slice it the guy will get punished.

I'd agree if that is what she did. Do you believe that is why she did it?

I knew when I came on here during lunch at least one person would say this is for political reasons. Anyways, I'm surprised they charged him so severely and I too believe they will bring it down to a lesser charge in the end. Either way you

LOL... it's a lot more than just one. I gotta list posted somewhere else of those making this claim.

Really, you are in agreement with the idea that they were absolutely going to riot?

No, not at all. If that was her reasoning for skipping the grand jury and going ahead and charging the guy, she's a coward for doing so.

No, not at all. If that was her reasoning for skipping the grand jury and going ahead and charging the guy, she's a coward for doing so.
So you don't agree with the second part of the "begging of the question", but you do agree with the first part: "that was her reason"?

Absolutely? Of course not, there are no absolutes. Probably? You bet your butt.

One thing is for sure: there's enough political pressure being brought to bare, so as to create this kangaroo court.

Well, it might be BS and a bunch of other rot, but its also the political reality. As Falstaff said "discretion is the better part of valor". This case has to go through the deepest mud and crud before it can emerge cleansed. That's reality. I don't like it one bit, but Falstaff was not proud of his actions either.

I say he should plea not guilty and pray for an impartial jury who hasn't been influenced by the media on this one.

Absolutely? Of course not, there are no absolutes. Probably? You bet your butt.
You missed, Grim said "only", an absolute. Your "probably" is just a little bit prejudiced...like a little bit pregnant.

One thing is for sure: there's enough political pressure being brought to bare, so as to create this kangaroo court.
I posted Florida law....

I doubt it. I think she seems like a credible person and highly professional, and analysts said she is tough but consistant. I doubt she is biased or would do anything unprofessional. Hopefully not.

Pardon me if I have grave doubts that this matter was decided apart from from all political/media/populist considerations.

The lady announcing the Zimmerman prosecution sounded like she was accepting the academy award, she praised herself and all those around her. What is this woman running for I wonder? I have never heard anything so pathetically driven by public opinion and politics.

Pardon me if I have grave doubts that this matter was decided apart from from all political/media/populist considerations.

This is all on her. Nobody but Corey takes responsibility for this because she's the one pressing charges, so if your hunch is true then her job and career is in jeopardy.

Back
Top Bottom