• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

George Zimmerman and OJ Simpson

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Today's rant - George Zimmerman and OJ Simpson

There is plenty of irony in what I am seeing today. Zimmerman went to trial, and was found not guilty by a jury that weighed all the evidence, and is now a free man. Yet, some people, who did not have the privilege of sitting on the jury and weighing all the evidence, still call him guilty of murdering a black man. This is a similar situation to that of OJ Simpson, who was acquitted of murder, yet people still call him guilty of murdering a white woman.

Racism? Yes, it still exists, but is much better hidden than it was in the 1960's. But, once in a while, the scab comes off, and we can see it for what it really is. White racism, black racism - There is no difference. OJ had his day in court. Zimmerman had his day in court. Both are not guilty. No reason to get your pitchforks and go after either of them. This is AMERICA, not the old Soviet Union, where just suspicion could get someone killed by the government. So leave Zimmerman alone.

On the other hand, to those who support the Zimmerman decision, don't gloat. That shows racism as well. I remember when OJ was found not guilty, and there were some black people gloating over the decision, and there were some white people complaining about the gloating. Today, I see some white people gloating over the Zimmerman decision, and in my own neighborhood, have just heard the first black people to complain about white people gloating. What is lost in all of this complaining and gloating is that fact that, in both cases (OJ and Zimmerman), a life was cut short. We should not look at the Zimmerman-Martin case, or the OJ Simpson case, as something to be political about. After all, both were tragedies. Thinking of either case as something other than a tragedy, as well as the politicization of either case, is crass, tasteless, and just plain sick.

/RANT

There is plenty of irony in what I am seeing today. Zimmerman went to trial, and was found not guilty by a jury that weighed all the evidence, and is now a free man. Yet, some people, who did not have the privilege of sitting on the jury and weighing all the evidence, still call him guilty of murdering a black man. This is a similar situation to that of OJ Simpson, who was acquitted of murder, yet people still call him guilty of murdering a white woman.

Racism? Yes, it still exists, but is much better hidden than it was in the 1960's. But, once in a while, the scab comes off, and we can see it for what it really is. White racism, black racism - There is no difference. OJ had his day in court. Zimmerman had his day in court. Both are not guilty. No reason to get your pitchforks and go after either of them. This is AMERICA, not the old Soviet Union, where just suspicion could get someone killed by the government. So leave Zimmerman alone.

On the other hand, to those who support the Zimmerman decision, don't gloat. That shows racism as well. I remember when OJ was found not guilty, and there were some black people gloating over the decision, and there were some white people complaining about the gloating. Today, I see some white people gloating over the Zimmerman decision, and in my own neighborhood, have just heard the first black people to complain about white people gloating. What is lost in all of this complaining and gloating is that fact that, in both cases (OJ and Zimmerman), a life was cut short. We should not look at the Zimmerman-Martin case, or the OJ Simpson case, as something to be political about. After all, both were tragedies. Thinking of either case as something other than a tragedy, as well as the politicization of either case, is crass, tasteless, and just plain sick.

/RANT

Simpson was, without doubt, guilty. I mean, anyone who could even debate that is not rational or objective.

Zimmerman...I don't know. I think both Zimmerman and Martin where shady individuals, and the end result was that you couldn't move the scales completely toward Zimmerman. Enter "reasonable doubt".

They're not the same.

Simpson was, without doubt, guilty. I mean, anyone who could even debate that is not rational or objective.

Zimmerman...I don't know. I think both Zimmerman and Martin where shady individuals, and the end result was that you couldn't move the scales completely toward Zimmerman. Enter "reasonable doubt".

They're not the same.

Under the law, they ARE both the same...... Not guilty.

Your thread was about racism, and racism isn't under the law. Neither are other factors.

We're talking the court of public opinion now.

The difference is...

OJ trial - A mountain of evidence against him, and the jury found reasonable doubt.
Zimmerman - No evidence against him and a mountain resonable doubt.

There is nothing remotely comparable about these two cases.

If OJ wasn't guilty, no one has ever been guilty of anything ever. Cheering that decision so loudly and in such huge proportions was one of the lowest points in black American history.

/RANT

This is just kind of a foolish rant.

Simpson should have been found guilty because of the evidence while Zimmerman should not have been. This has nothing to do with skin color. It has to do with the overwhelming amount of evidence that buried one and exonerated the other. In one case a black man happened to commit a crime while in another a white man happened not to have. That doesn't mean white people are better than black people or vice versa. It just means one of the two committed a crime while the other didn't.

For what it's worth, justice was also not served when Simpson was sentenced in Las Vegas. He was clearly sentenced for his crimes in California which is wrong.

/RANT

It is time to move on!

Back
Top Bottom