• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

George Will exits the Republican Party over Trump

imyoda

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...6cdcaa-3b09-11e6-9ccd-d6005beac8b3_story.html
George Will exits the Republican Party over Trump

Conservative columnist George Will has left the Republican Party over its presumptive nomination of Donald Trump.

Will, who writes a column for The Washington Post, spoke about his decision Friday at an event for the Federalist Society in Washington.
“This is not my party,” he told the audience, the news site PJ Media first reported.
Speaking with The Post, Will said that he changed his voter registration from “Republican” to “unaffiliated” several weeks ago, the day after House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) endorsed Trump.
George Will says he's leaving GOP over Trump - CNNPolitics.com

For the majority of Republicans and Wills millions of readers………..this is a big deal……
I just wonder how many others will follow Will’s lead……

Moderator's Warning:
Threads merged, Rocket88.

Trump is not just an embarrassment to the GOP, his performance in Scotland on Friday made me ashamed to be an American. The Scots must think we are idiots...and some of us are.

Trump is not just an embarrassment to the GOP, his performance in Scotland on Friday made me ashamed to be an American. The Scots must think we are idiots...and some of us are.

He has proved without a doubt he has now working knowledge of foreign affairs.........

To comment as he did in Scotland with Scotland voting in vast numbers not to leave EU is beyond belief......

Is his only concern in life the well being of his belly-button, so to speak......

If he's elected he will have us in a war in less that 18 months

Liberals are easily ashamed to be an American. Its part of what defines a liberal.

So what ? Didn't your parents tell you not to care too much about what other people think of you ? Writ large you end recommending stupid policies and electing stupid people.

Saying stupid **** hardly makes America look good.

So what ? Didn't your parents tell you not to care too much about what other people think of you ? Writ large you end recommending stupid policies and electing stupid people.

I'm not the one who might end up running the United States of America. Being aware of local political opinions and feelings is crucial as president. Being oblivious and self centered....isn't good for anyone.

"Every liberal is a fascist at heart." -Anon

George Will is a two-faced phony. To date, he's been successful hiding one of his faces with his toupee. The fascist has been unmasked.

I don't see how Will leaving the GOP makes him a fascist, but whatever floats your boat.

"Every liberal is a fascist at heart." -Anon

George Will is a two-faced phony. To date, he's been successful hiding one of his faces with his toupee. The fascist has been unmasked.

Liberals are easily ashamed to be an American. Its part of what defines a liberal.

The problem is people who don't know what shames us. Trump does not speak for our values. He's a self -promoting carnival barker and no more.

So is Obama and we elected him. He was UNIQUELY QUALIFIED and would RESTORE OUR STANDING IN THE WORLD. What a crock of ****. You shouldn't base your voting decisions on what people in other countries think. I'm not voting for Trump but not because I give a rats ass about what people in Scotland or anywhere else think about him.

The problem is people who don't know what shames us. Trump does not speak for our values. He's a self -promoting carnival barker and no more.

So is Obama and we elected him. He was UNIQUELY QUALIFIED and would RESTORE OUR STANDING IN THE WORLD. What a crock of ****. You shouldn't base your voting decisions on what people in other countries think. I'm not voting for Trump but not because I give a rats ass about what people in Scotland or anywhere else think about him.

A hell of a lot of the world thinks better of us since Obama has been in office. You are confused by the goobledegook you read on the internet. It is mostly all lies meant to dupe weak and impressionable minds. He is quite unpopular in Russia though. Trump has the edge there along with N. Korea.

Globally, Obama’s image is mostly positive. Across the 40 countries polled, a median of 65% say they have confidence in Obama to do the right thing in world affairs. A median of just 27% lack confidence in the American leader. Overall, Obama remains much more popular globally than his predecessor, but opinions vary significantly across nations and regions.
7 charts on how the world views President Obama | Pew Research Center

some times, it's really nice to be a Registered Libertarian...Gary Johnson looks like the best candidate in the country....

in any event, folks bringing up traditional Republicans leaving the party are missing the picture... the voters don't give a **** about the opinions of the conservative/Republican establishment....they long ago pissed off the voters and now they are butthurt they are being ignored or dismissed
sorry George Will... you helped make this bed.... if you want to atone for your sins, start pushing for a good candidate like Johnson...shoot to defeat both imbeciles in both major parties... they are both very bad for the country.

some times, it's really nice to be a Registered Libertarian...Gary Johnson looks like the best candidate in the country....

in any event, folks bringing up traditional Republicans leaving the party are missing the picture... the voters don't give a **** about the opinions of the conservative/Republican establishment....they long ago pissed off the voters and now they are butthurt they are being ignored or dismissed
sorry George Will... you helped make this bed.... if you want to atone for your sins, start pushing for a good candidate like Johnson...shoot to defeat both imbeciles in both major parties... they are both very bad for the country.

Yup. My vote will unashamedly be for Gary Johnson.

As for George Will, he never pushed for Trump, so he can't take blame for Trump being nominated.

Yup. My vote will unashamedly be for Gary Johnson.

As for George Will, he never pushed for Trump, so he can't take blame for Trump being nominated.

I think he meant that the Republicans as a whole are responsible for creating Trump due to years of lackluster performance in protecting and pursuing their constituents' goals.

We are aware Hil LIAR y speaks volumes about your lack of values and morals ! :lamo

My plan is unfolding perfectly. Trump is destroying the GOP, by doing nothing more than holding a mirror up to it.

Now all I need is someone similar so we can work to do the same to the Democratic Party.

There are lot of people just like him in the Washington Bubble that cannot stand the idea of us pissant citizens rocking their apple cart.

Don't let the screen door hit you in the ass on the way out, George!

I was watching Fox News this AM before I left for work. According to Fox the Democrat party is more divided than the Republican party, pointing out the additions Sanders wants to the democratic platform. Someone please explain to me how Fox really believes this. I don't see Demo's leaving the party, I don't see Demo Congressmen and Senators saying they cant endorse Clinton. George Will is one of those people who I think pretty much speaks Republican, now he is leaving, but the Demo are more divided? At least Fox has quit saying fair and balanced.

Back
Top Bottom