• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

George W. Bush says Harry Reid badly irritated him due to his anti-war statement

cartouch100

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Are you sure they didn't copy that from someone else's book?

I think its a sad commentary on this country that whenever someone tells the truth such as "the war in Iraq is useless" that its only seen as demoralizing the soldiers by some.

Last edited:
I think its a sad commentary on this country that whenever someone tells the truth such as "the war in Iraq is useless" that its only seen as demoralizing the soldiers by some.

Would you not agree that there's SIGNIFICANT difference in stating "The war in Iraq is useless" and "The President knows, this war is lost"?

Also, I like the fact that the most negative thing I've really heard GWB say about someone in all his various interview rounds so far is that a statement "irritated" him.

Sad and dishonest. It's only an effort to silence criticism. :coffeepap

Would you not agree that there's SIGNIFICANT difference in stating "The war in Iraq is useless" and "The President knows, this war is lost"?

Also, I like the fact that the most negative thing I've really heard GWB say about someone in all his various interview rounds so far is that a statement "irritated" him.

speaking for myself, neither is demonizing the soldiers. Neither is anti American or against the military. And both could easily be considered plain speak, straighforward honesty.

...the most negative thing I've really heard GWB say about someone in all his various interview rounds so far is that a statement "irritated" him.

OMG! Where's the outrage! How DARE he! He should be tried as a war criminal for that alone! :rolleyes:

OMG! Where's the outrage! How DARE he! He should be tried as a war criminal for that alone! :rolleyes:

Nah, . . . there are better reasons to do that. ;) :sigh:

But it wasn't the truth; not surprising since Reid doesn't know anything about that.

Sad and dishonest. It's only an effort to silence criticism. :coffeepap

When was it silenced, please tell me? When did Bush ever try to silence it? He didn't, so you've got nothing. Enjoy your coffee.

When was it silenced, please tell me? When did Bush ever try to silence it? He didn't, so you've got nothing. Enjoy your coffee.

resisting the effort doesn't mean there was no effort.

And thanks, i drink a lot of coffee. :coffeepap

Right. Bush says he was "irritated" by something which was said more than four years ago, and that's an attempt to "silence" it. :lamo Sounds like "exaggeration" and "hyperbole" to me, but that can't be 'coz you're steadfastly opposed to such a thing.

What happened to your online dictionaries and your strict adherence to actual definitions of words?

But it wasn't the truth; not surprising since Reid doesn't know anything about that.

A war based on fubar intelligence, that was pre-emptive, that has caused far more damage than any constructive activity it has accomplished, that has wasted American lives and a great amount of money was indeed absolutely useless. I grieve for the soldiers who died needlessly. We should have more respect for our troops than that.

Right. Bush says he was "irritated" by something which was said more than four years ago, and that's an attempt to "silence" it. :lamo Sounds like "exaggeration" and "hyperbole" to me, but that can't be 'coz you're steadfastly opposed to such a thing.

What happened to your online dictionaries and your strict adherence to actual definitions of words?

Again, no siad there was a secret gestopo effort to silence, just a moderate and politically thoughtout effort, by calling it anti-American and such that effectively lessened the blow. And not done just by Bush, but also by useful idiots who buy into such silliness.

No hyperbole, no exaggeration. I didn't go the Fascist route. I didn't call Bush Hitler or say he was threatening death to anyone. But in true exaggerated from, you have misrepresented what is actually being argued. Good job. :coffeepap

Again, no siad there was a secret gestopo effort to silence, just a moderate and politically thoughtout effort, by calling it anti-American and such that effectively lessened the blow. And not done just by Bush, but also by useful idiots who buy into such silliness.

No hyperbole, no exaggeration. I didn't go the Fascist route. I didn't call Bush Hitler or say he was threatening death to anyone. But in true exaggerated from, you have misrepresented what is actually being argued. Good job. :coffeepap

Yeah. You paint disagreement with an "effort to silence" and I'm the one who exaggerates. :rofl

reid is a good example of why he's not on the list of succession. he would never say such a thing about afghanastan to his beloved president.

Yeah. You paint disagreement with an "effort to silence" and I'm the one who exaggerates. :rofl

Calling someone a traitor for speaking is not disagreement. I'm sorry, you're inaccurately painting the picture of what happened. Disagreeing is syaing you're wrong and here's why. Trying to avoid the argument and silence it is saying anyone who says that is a traitor.

Calling someone a traitor for speaking is not disagreement. I'm sorry, you're inaccurately painting the picture of what happened. Disagreeing is syaing you're wrong and here's why. Trying to avoid the argument and silence it is saying anyone who says that is a traitor.

Ctrl-F "traitor" on the article and this thread indicates that this post is the first time anyone mentioned the word. Sounds like you're battling a strawman there.

To say nothing of the gross exaggeration that criticism, even if the word "traitor" is used, is attacking someone for merely speaking. No, it has to do with the content of what they say, not the mere fact that they spoke.

Seriously, if you're going to hold yourself up as a sterling defender of non-exaggeration . . .

Ctrl-F "traitor" on the article and this thread indicates that this post is the first time anyone mentioned the word. Sounds like you're battling a strawman there.

No, I'm speaking to what was going on at the time. We can pretend it wasn't if that suits you.

To say nothing of the gross exaggeration that criticism, even if the word "traitor" is used, is attacking someone for merely speaking. No, it has to do with the content of what they say, not the mere fact that they spoke.

Seriously, if you're going to hold yourself up as a sterling defender of non-exaggeration . . .

How many links would take to support that is what people were doing at the time, which is what we're talking about. Give me the number, and I'll provide the links.

And turning any comment into being a traitor is exactly what I talking about. Cruitism is not equal to treason.

Just a taste:

Democratic party front group Media Matters for America has lied twice in recent weeks while coming to the defense of Democrats up for reelection who have come to be known as the ‘Fallujah Four’ for allegedly aiding terrorists in Iraq.

The Freedom Fighter's Journal: AMERICAN TRAITORS IN CONGRESS: Democrats Sen. Barbara Boxer (CA), Rep. Henry Waxman (CA), Rep. Dennis Kucinich (OH) and Rep. Raul Grijalva (AZ)

President George W. Bush denounced some Democratic critics of the
Iraq war as irresponsible on Tuesday and he wanted an election-year debate that “brings credit to our democracy, not comfort to our adversaries”

Translation: Bush calls Democrats ‘traitors’ | A Mind is a Terrible Thing

Kathryn Jean Lopez: Your upcoming book begins with a quote from Cicero about how a nation “cannot survive treason from within.” Surely you’re not calling Democrats traitors. Or are you?

“Buzz” Patterson: I am. They certainly are if their behavior during our wars in Iraq and Afghanistan is held up to the light of the U.S. Constitution. Article III, Section 3 defines treason against the United States as “adhering to (our) enemies, giving them aid and comfort. Harry Reid, Nancy Pelosi, Dick Durbin, and John Murtha, amongst others, are guilty of exactly that. When a government official stands on the floor of Congress and declares the war lost; or travels to Syria, a state-sponsor of terror, and meets with the leadership that is funneling insurgents into Iraq to kill Americans; or, publicly compares our military men and women to Nazis, Soviets in gulags, and Pol Pot; or refers to our Marines as “cold blooded killers” before an ongoing investigation is completed and charges filed, they have crossed the line and have taken their politics to the battlefield. These are behaviors that give aid and comfort to our enemy.

If It’s Not Lost, How Can We Win? - Interview - National Review Online

I think half of America was "irritated" with Harry when he said "the war is lost" when we were planning a surge.
One huge downside to the 2010 election is that Harry didn't get fired.

Boo,
I must have you confused with someone else.
What's with posting an ant-media matters link?
Just curious, because I was thinking you often use them as a reliable source.
Am I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom