• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

George W. Bush on US Capitol insurrection: 'I'm still disturbed when I think about it'

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

2626U3T2WBEXHA6COUK3KRJ6H4.JPG

3/18/21
Former President George W. Bush said the January 6 US Capitol insurrection left him "sick to my stomach" and he remains "disturbed" when he thinks about it. "I can't remember what I was doing, but ... I was sick to my stomach ... to see our nation's Capitol being stormed by hostile forces," Bush said in an interview with The Texas Tribune as part of the SXSW virtual festival that was recorded February 24 and made public Thursday. "And it really disturbed me to the point where I did put out a statement, and I'm still disturbed when I think about it."
The episode, Bush said, "undermines rule of law and the ability to express yourself in peaceful ways in the public square." "This was an expression that was not peaceful," he added. Bush had joined the three other living former US presidents in condemning the Capitol attack in its immediate aftermath, charging in a statement at the time: "This is how election results are disputed in a banana republic -- not our democratic republic." "I am appalled by the reckless behavior of some political leaders since the election and by the lack of respect shown today for our institutions, our traditions, and our law enforcement," he said. "The violent assault on the Capitol -- and disruption of a constitutionally mandated meeting of Congress -- was undertaken by people whose passions have been inflamed by falsehoods and false hopes."

To his credit, no one will mistake GWB for a Trump Republican.

Absolutely, W is a rino, ask any real republican.

It says a great deal about the current state of the Republican party that a war criminal who oversaw a torture program and the needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of innocent people is now considered one of the more moderate figures in it.

all real Americans are.

Bush and trump are a lot more alike than they want to admit - they are just enemies because they're each out for their own interests. It's like having two mob bosses having a conflict call each other criminals.

Absolutely, W is a rino, ask any real republican.
Bush is a real Republican. Trump is the real RINO. In fact until he decided to run for the presidency, Trump was a Dem. Get your history straight. And most of the white men who now make up the majority of the Trump party were once dems, but now belong to the white supremacy party that is controlled by Trump.

"But I enjoyed being a warmongerer."

Back
Top Bottom