• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] George H.W. Bush's Service Dog Stays By His Casket

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Sully, the service dog of former President George H.W. Bush, spent Sunday night lying before Bush's flag-draped casket in Houston.

Jim McGrath, spokesman for the Bush family, tweeted out a photo on Sunday night, captioning it "mission complete."

Jeb Bush retweeted the image, adding "Sully has the watch."

CNN reported that Sully would travel with the casket to Washington, D.C., where several days of remembrance ceremonies are being held

ap_18337515313561_wide-9b20374e694cb7ab859e657a6deea6a86761591f-s1100-c85.jpg

Source: (NPR) George H.W. Bush's Service Dog Stays By His Casket

My thoughts:

1] Sometimes a picture can speak a thousand words

2] If you want a (loyal) friend in Washington - get a dog

That picture brought tears to my eyes when I first saw it. So poignant and heartbreaking.

ap_18337515313561_wide-9b20374e694cb7ab859e657a6deea6a86761591f-s1100-c85.jpg

Source: (NPR) George H.W. Bush's Service Dog Stays By His Casket

My thoughts:

1] Sometimes a picture can speak a thousand words

2] If you want a (loyal) friend in Washington - get a dog

This photo brings me to tears. A dedicated companion who may or may not realize he's reached his final watch. My guess is he does know, but he'll be forever watching over his master until they meet at the rainbow bridge for the next play date. :angel?:

That sweet dog reminds me of my dad's Black Lab who sat by his chair for weeks after he died. When she came to live with us I had to bring several of his shirts to my home to soothe her.

This photo brings me to tears. A dedicated companion who may or may not realize he's reached his final watch. My guess is he does know, but he'll be forever watching over his master until they meet at the rainbow bridge for the next play date. :angel?:
I had dogs all my life from the getgo, still do, and yeah it too brought a tear to my eye.

I wanted to just post the picture, and let it speak for itself through it's own power. In fact, I think words detract from it's power. It is poignantly spellbounding on its own. But I thought it was important enough that it should be seen in breaking news, so I formatted it as such.

BTW, the dog will be traveling with his master on the train to the gravesite.

And the saying, "if you want a friend in Washington get a dog", has been around political circles forever ...

I had dogs all my life from the getgo, still do, and yeah it too brought a tear to my eye.

I wanted to just post the picture, and let it speak for itself through it's own power. In fact, I think words detract from it's power. It is poignantly spellbounding on its own. But I thought it was important enough that it should be seen in breaking news, so I formatted it as such.

BTW, the dog will be traveling with his master on the train to the gravesite.

And the saying, "if you want a friend in Washington get a dog", has been around political circles forever ...
It's an awesome picture. Thanks for posting it without any ridiculous, unrelated political commentary as happened earlier.

That sweet dog reminds me of my dad's Black Lab who sat by his chair for weeks after he died. When she came to live with us I had to bring several of his shirts to my home to soothe her.

They know that pain.
Very astute of you to do what you did.

Props to you.

One of my sons owns a black lab, and at less than two years old, he has proven himself to be devoted to his family.

Last edited:
It's an awesome picture. Thanks for posting it without any ridiculous, unrelated political commentary as happened earlier.

:agree

Believe me, if I could have posted it without comment, I would have. I think it's a powerful image that stands best on it's own.

Actually, in the quoted I wish I would have stopped after the second sentence's "mission complete".

A love for dogs transcends ideology. Such noble animals, who love us unconditionally. I adore them. Sully is a very special dog, who had a very special master; I can almost see Poppy's spirit bending to stroke the dog he loved so dearly.

OK. all...

you can stop making me cry now.

I was thinking my sadness was kinda over until I read this article in the NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/01/us/politics/george-hw-bush-last-days.html

George Bush had been fading in the last few days. He had not gotten out of bed, he had stopped eating and he was mostly sleeping. For a man who had defied death multiple times over the years, it seemed that the moment might finally be arriving.

His longtime friend and former secretary of state, James A. Baker III, arrived at his Houston home on Friday morning to check on him.

Mr. Bush suddenly grew alert, his eyes wide open.
“Where are we going, Bake?” he asked.

“We’re going to heaven,” Mr. Baker answered.

“That’s where I want to go,” Mr. Bush said.

Barely 13 hours later, Mr. Bush was dead. The former president died in his home in a gated community in Houston, surrounded by several friends, members of his family, doctors and a minister. As the end neared on Friday night, his son George W. Bush, the former president, who was at his home in Dallas, was put on the speaker phone to say goodbye. He told him that he had been a “wonderful dad” and that he loved him.

Read the whole thing. Bush knew his time was up, and had touching conversations with his very close and long-time best friend James Baker (who called Bush "Jefe", Spanish for Chief), and Mr. Bush looked forward to seeing his late wife, and his daughter Robin who died in 1953 (age 3) from leukemia. He went peacefully, and reminded me how much I regret not being with my dad when he passed. Something that I will never forgive myself for missing.

A love for dogs transcends ideology. Such noble animals, who love us unconditionally. I adore them. Sully is a very special dog, who had a very special master; I can almost see Poppy's spirit bending to stroke the dog he loved so dearly.
Well said!

These Presidential funerals often spawn such poignant & iconic (and tearful!) images. Who can ever forget this one?

05stearns1-jumbo.jpg

Sully reminds me of the Richard Gere picture 'Hachi' the story of love and devotion between a dog and a man.
Great picture that epitomizes the devotion of mans best friend. I had to put two dogs to sleep one after 15 years
that's ruff.

Sully reminds me of the Richard Gere picture 'Hachi' the story of love and devotion between a dog and a man.
Great picture that epitomizes the devotion of mans best friend. I had to put two dogs to sleep one after 15 years
that's ruff.
Been there, multiple times Slick. I can empathize, and am running into that situation again. But what we are doing in that final act, is giving back for all the love they gave us over their years.

It's a tough thing, but you can hold your head up high. And remember, when we hurt hard after a loss - it's because we lost something of great value and great joy. No one hurts over losing mediocre or inconsequential things. We should be happy we had the privilege of having had such a great love. Others may never have it, and never know the joy we had. We are fortunate.

(I never heard of that movie, but I'm going to scope it out)

Been there, multiple times Slick. I can empathize, and am running into that situation again. But what we are doing in that final act, is giving back for all the love they gave us over their years.

It's a tough thing, but you can hold your head up high. And remember, when we hurt hard after a loss - it's because we lost something of great value and great joy. No one hurts over losing mediocre or inconsequential things. We should be happy we had the privilege of having had such a great love. Others may never have it, and never know the joy we had. We are fortunate.

(I never heard of that movie, but I'm going to scope it out)

Richard Gere finds a lost puppy & they become unseperable. The dog follow him to work every day and waits at the train station for him
to go home together. Gere had a heart attack & doesn't meet hatchi at the station. Gere's daughter goes to the station & brings Hatchi
home to her family. Hatchi though having a new loving family escapes and goes to the station still waiting for Gere. The daughter
brings him back but realizes he doesn't want to be with her family let's him go. Hatchi returns to the train station & stays there waiting
for Gere until Hatchi becomes old and passes away. Moving.

Richard Gere finds a lost puppy & they become unseperable. The dog follow him to work every day and waits at the train station for him
to go home together. Gere had a heart attack & doesn't meet hatchi at the station. Gere's daughter goes to the station & brings Hatchi
home to her family. Hatchi though having a new loving family escapes and goes to the station still waiting for Gere. The daughter
brings him back but realizes he doesn't want to be with her family let's him go. Hatchi returns to the train station & stays there waiting
for Gere until Hatchi becomes old and passes away. Moving.
Slick, you just spoiled it! :shock:

Alright, I'll forgive you. ;)

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out. Have a good weekend!

Back
Top Bottom