• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

George Conway: Republican Party has become a 'personality cult' under Trump

SDET

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I like this article because it's not some Democrat hack claiming to be a lifelong Republican, but is now a Democrat because the GOP is so icky. For any conservative, supporting the Democrats is never an option.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-c...-become-personality-cult-trump-130234835.html

Conway’s remarks came just days after he spearheaded the formation of a new legal group, called Checks and Balances, set up to provide a platform for conservative lawyers to speak out against what he sees as Trump’s violations of “timeless principles” and constitutional norms.

Notice that he mentions moving to Australia, but never mentions voting Democrat. This guy is believable.

George T. Conway III, the husband of White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, said the Republican Party has become “a personality cult” under President Trump and that he would “move to Australia” rather than vote for the president again.

For any conservative, supporting Trump is impossible.

Senator Majority Leader McConnell is quoted as saying look at the results. I believe Trump will begin to unravel soon and pressure will come to bear for him not to stand for re-election. This is a window of opportunity. While the Democrats froth at the mouth screaming impeachment for any and all reasons, the GOP can be the adult in the room by publicly bringing pressure to bear for him not to run for re-election. This will spare the country being torn apart from impeachment proceedings.

Senator Majority Leader McConnell is quoted as saying look at the results. I believe Trump will begin to unravel soon and pressure will come to bear for him not to stand for re-election. This is a window of opportunity. While the Democrats froth at the mouth screaming impeachment for any and all reasons, the GOP can be the adult in the room by publicly bringing pressure to bear for him not to run for re-election. This will spare the country being torn apart from impeachment proceedings.

The 'results' are the most corrupt administration in US history, destruction of the institutions that hold our country together and massive betrayal of the public trust.

The GOP have never been the adult in the room. They're the obsequious lickspittle sycophants who support what Trump is doing and have become the cult of Trump.

That you're blind to that isn't my problem.

Last time I looked Trump has the support of 90%!!!! of self-identified Republicans. Trump IS the GOP - that's who they are. That's what is scary IMO. He's not a fluke or some accident - he's tapped into the soul of the GOP and reflects it, better than anyone for quite a long time.

There is zero chance IMO that the GOP will as a party pressure him not to run, or if they do that it will work - absent of course some kind of serious stuff even the GOP can't ignore coming out of the Mueller investigation.

Last time I looked Trump has the support of 90%!!!! of self-identified Republicans. Trump IS the GOP - that's who they are. That's what is scary IMO. He's not a fluke or some accident - he's tapped into the soul of the GOP and reflects it, better than anyone for quite a long time.

There is zero chance IMO that the GOP will as a party pressure him not to run, or if they do that it will work - absent of course some kind of serious stuff even the GOP can't ignore coming out of the Mueller investigation.

Trump will fail as a result of his own unforced errors. This needs to play out naturally. Something manufactured by the Democrats will not help their cause.

Dumbasses.

The DNC is a party, so can be a cult of personality, as there's no central figure.

Republicans, OTOH, do everything Trump says and does, and believe everything he tells them. They believe all of his crude lies, without the slightest skepticism at all, attacking anybody that points out the obvious.

The term Conservative is relative, obviously. So, if so-called conservatives can vote for Trump, I see no reason why another version of one can't vote for a Democrat.

I think that once Trump is gone, the GOP will disassociate itself from him... “Oh, yeah, that guy... we went to the prom once, I needed a date; but he never meant that much to me...”

Real Housewives, Survivor, Big Brother and finally, The Apprentice, are all reality shows based on the premise of "winning" by screwing over your fellow man.
We have had twenty years of subtle "indoctrination" posing as mild entertainment based on this premise.
Logical people don't take these shows seriously, but clearly almost a third of the population believes that this formula applies in real life.

These people spent the last twenty years conditioning themselves for a person like Trump.
The fact that this reality TV formula doesn't actually work well in real life when applied to running a country is meaningless to them.
The fact that they make no distinction between reality TV and real life is meaningless to them.

Like the tee shirt says:

Trump-2016-your-feelings.jpg

Eff your feelings, and eff the rest of society, too. Eff the entire world if need be.
That's how Trumpism works.

I think that once Trump is gone, the GOP will disassociate itself from him... “Oh, yeah, that guy... we went to the prom once, I needed a date; but he never meant that much to me...”

Nope, the infection will remain.
It will remain until the infected either die off, or take the rest of us with them, or until their failure is so complete as to be indisputable.
And then, of course, there will be a mass reaction on their part.

It will be ugly.

Trump will fail as a result of his own unforced errors. This needs to play out naturally. Something manufactured by the Democrats will not help their cause.

Many on the liberal side have come to that realization.
It's just that, if they can help make it happen, they're interested in doing what they can.
But in the end, a lot of us understand that it's probably going to play out by itself.
Trouble is, it's going to be very ugly, and quite possibly very damaging.

A lot of us would rather avoid that. I'm sure you can understand.

An example of "ugly".

A profile of Gregory Ramos

DsKJfD0X4AY36rI.jpg

His obstruction of justice was all on his own with no help from the Dems.

Real Housewives, Survivor, Big Brother and finally, The Apprentice, are all reality shows based on the premise of "winning" by screwing over your fellow man.
We have had twenty years of subtle "indoctrination" posing as mild entertainment based on this premise.
Logical people don't take these shows seriously, but clearly almost a third of the population believes that this formula applies in real life.

These people spent the last twenty years conditioning themselves for a person like Trump.
The fact that this reality TV formula doesn't actually work well in real life when applied to running a country is meaningless to them.
The fact that they make no distinction between reality TV and real life is meaningless to them.

Like the tee shirt says:

View attachment 67244419

Eff your feelings, and eff the rest of society, too. Eff the entire world if need be.
That's how Trumpism works.

Sadly, I think some of that is true. But one takes heart in, for example, the reaction of the world, of both political parties, to the situation on the border a few months ago and the separation of families. No matter one’s view of the migrants, humanity in the form of compassion and the rule of law trumped the dark vision of Trump, Sessions, and Stephen Miller.

They've had two years to take that route. What's been stopping them, and what has changed?

They've had two years to take that route. What's been stopping them, and what has changed?

Simple, he hasn't dug a deep enough hole. When he does, the GOP will abandon him. Furthermore, it's a much heavier lift to get a President to resign as opposed to getting him not to stand for re-election. I wonder if House Democrats would still push for impeachment if Trump doesn't stand for re-election. Personally, I would prefer a different Republican in 2020, but will always vote against a Democrat.

Simple, he hasn't dug a deep enough hole. When he does, the GOP will abandon him. Furthermore, it's a much heavier lift to get a President to resign as opposed to getting him not to stand for re-election. I wonder if House Democrats would still push for impeachment if Trump doesn't stand for re-election. Personally, I would prefer a different Republican in 2020, but will always vote against a Democrat.

Historically speaking this question never gets a cogent answer, but I'll try again. What would such a hole look like? In other words, what would he have to do to dig himself a "deep enough" hole?

Historically speaking this question never gets a cogent answer, but I'll try again. What would such a hole look like? In other words, what would he have to do to dig himself a "deep enough" hole?

Unmistakable corruption beyond the benefit of the doubt would do it. I compare Richard Nixon vs Calvin Coolidge. Nixon disgraced himself and his party. It appears that Calvin Coolidge saw the Great Depression coming and declared "I choose not to run". In my opinion, the best path forward for the GOP is to pressure Trump not to stand for re-election. You, of course want to see maximum damage done to the GOP.

Unmistakable corruption beyond the benefit of the doubt would do it. I compare Richard Nixon vs Calvin Coolidge. Nixon disgraced himself and his party. It appears that Calvin Coolidge saw the Great Depression coming and declared "I choose not to run". In my opinion, the best path forward for the GOP is to pressure Trump not to stand for re-election. You, of course want to see maximum damage done to the GOP.

I disagree. The corruption is out in the open, and multiple people in the White House have been ejected for flagrant corruption, and none of this has had any impact on his approval ratings, so that's not going to be the "deep enough" hole. Is there anything else you can think of?

I admit, I think it's sad and hilarious that the GOP has tied its future to a fat reality TV star with bad combover and the IQ of a brain-damaged aardvark

I admit, I think it's sad and hilarious that the GOP has tied its future to a fat reality TV star with bad combover and the IQ of a brain-damaged aardvark

The GOP did a good job making lemonade out that lemon. Trump was the 2016 nominee because non-Republicans voted in open primaries, presumably to select Hillary's weakest opponent. Now you have him in the White House. Choke on it lefties. As an added bonus, you could have manipulated him into enacting part of your agenda, but you let Trump Derangement Syndrome get the best of you. That means that Trump politically had no place else to go except the right. The Democrats beat Trump in the dysfunctional Olympics. That's quite a feat!

The GOP did a good job making lemonade out that lemon. Trump was the 2016 nominee because non-Republicans voted in open primaries, presumably to select Hillary's weakest opponent. Now you have him in the White House. Choke on it lefties. As an added bonus, you could have manipulated him into enacting part of your agenda, but you let Trump Derangement Syndrome get the best of you. That means that Trump politically had no place else to go except the right. The Democrats beat Trump in the dysfunctional Olympics. That's quite a feat!

1) Um,I'm not left or right. I vote Democrat, Republican and Third Party. Personally I voted for Gary Johnson,although I'm not really a Libertarian either.
2) I'm not upset by Trump,I find him unintentionally HILARIOUS.The only real TDS is on the part of those who think President von Clownstick has an IQ greater than lint. He's easily the dumbest person ever to hold the office.

Back
Top Bottom