• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

George Conway: Republican Party has become a 'personality cult' under Trump

Historically speaking this question never gets a cogent answer, but I'll try again. What would such a hole look like? In other words, what would he have to do to dig himself a "deep enough" hole?

There will never be a deep enough hole.

It's like the frog in the pot of slowly heating water.

The people who haven't abandoned Trump yet are not likely to. They keep getting acclimated to new levels of outrage which three years ago they never would have dreamed they would have overlooked, but now it's "meh".

1) Um,I'm not left or right. I vote Democrat, Republican and Third Party. Personally I voted for Gary Johnson,although I'm not really a Libertarian either.
2) I'm not upset by Trump,I find him unintentionally HILARIOUS.The only real TDS is on the part of those who think President von Clownstick has an IQ greater than lint. He's easily the dumbest person ever to hold the office.

I also "felt the Johnson" when I went to vote. We have the luxury of laughing at Trump because he is politically boxed in and is forced to advance real Republican policies. I don't give Trump credit for anything. We are getting good policies in spite of Trump, not because of him.

Notice that he mentions moving to Australia, but never mentions voting Democrat. This guy is believable.

Let me get this straight are you saying that George Conway is secretly a Republican who is simply trolling the Dems??

I like this article because it's not some Democrat hack claiming to be a lifelong Republican, but is now a Democrat because the GOP is so icky. For any conservative, supporting the Democrats is never an option.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/george-c...-become-personality-cult-trump-130234835.html

Notice that he mentions moving to Australia, but never mentions voting Democrat. This guy is believable.
Like he's the ONLY neverTrumpster in the conservative world? For that matter, how many actual conservatives have ever said Trump is one of their own?

I also "felt the Johnson" when I went to vote. We have the luxury of laughing at Trump because he is politically boxed in and is forced to advance real Republican policies. I don't give Trump credit for anything. We are getting good policies in spite of Trump, not because of him.

I'll disagree on getting good policies,although the democrats aren't really solidly behind many good ones either. On some I agree(moving the Embassy to Jerusalem is one). But glad you agree he'snot really anything more than a lightning rod.

Let me get this straight are you saying that George Conway is secretly a Republican who is simply trolling the Dems??

No, I'm saying he is believable because he never treats supporting a Democrat as an option. There's nothing secret about him being a Republican. If anything, he wants to preserve the party.

For any conservative, supporting Trump is impossible.
Well, no, not completely accurate. His pursuit of removing onerous regulations is broadly supported, as are most of his economic moves - full disclosure: his tariff policies are the subject of a lot of debate. A lot of conservatives also support his emphasis on America first.

No, I'm saying he is believable because he never treats supporting a Democrat as an option. There's nothing secret about him being a Republican. If anything, he wants to preserve the party.

I didn't vote in the midterms because I hate Bob Menendez. I think he is the worst Democrat who ran in 2018. Doesn't mean I hate Trump any less though...

If you are a Republican, you generally don't want to support Democrats. Especially if you are a high profile one married to someone who works in the WH.

Senator Majority Leader McConnell is quoted as saying look at the results. I believe Trump will begin to unravel soon and pressure will come to bear for him not to stand for re-election. This is a window of opportunity. While the Democrats froth at the mouth screaming impeachment for any and all reasons, the GOP can be the adult in the room by publicly bringing pressure to bear for him not to run for re-election. This will spare the country being torn apart from impeachment proceedings.
Or maybe the DEMS should become the adults in the room and actually spend more time working on the nation's problems than on creating idiotic subpoenas and impeachment motions.

Trump is just fine being Trump and producing results that people and business seem to like - even if they aren't gaga about him personally.

I didn't vote in the midterms because I hate Bob Menendez. I think he is the worst Democrat who ran in 2018. Doesn't mean I hate Trump any less though...

I don't hate Trump, but think he's a joke. I hope the GOP properly manages his possible failure. When Trump fails, the splash will throw tons of fecal matter. Wise people will arrange not to get any of the stink splattered on them. I understand those who use Trump while it's to their advantage and hope those same people are smart enough to get out of way when Trump hits the fan.

Well, no, not completely accurate. His pursuit of removing onerous regulations is broadly supported, as are most of his economic moves - full disclosure: his tariff policies are the subject of a lot of debate. A lot of conservatives also support his emphasis on America first.

Conservatives are supposedly all about personal responsibility, law and order and they hate corruption.

Trump is the antithesis of all those things.

Conservatives are supposedly all about personal responsibility, law and order and they hate corruption.

Trump is the antithesis of all those things.
Nobody said Trump was a conservative. Just that many of his actions and policies follow conservative principles.

Nobody said Trump was a conservative. Just that many of his actions and policies follow conservative principles.

It doesn't really matter, since those who claim to conservatives claim his as their own.

And the conceit that anything Trump does is based on any princple other than either self-aggrandizement, self-enrichment, or both, is just that: a conceit. A fable.

They've had two years to take that route. What's been stopping them, and what has changed?

He promised he'd build a wall, there's no such thing.
He promised tax cuts, which were a miniscule and fleeting illusion.
He promised that TrumpCare was going to be better than Obamacare and that it would cover everybody. Instead, preexisting conditions are about to make a huge comeback, rendering millions of very ill people "uninsurable".
And he has promised that the economy would roar like never before, and yet despite thrilling stock market figures, most new jobs created are low paying gigs with hair nets and nametags, no benefits and no long term stability.

Veterans? He won't even visit them...ANYWHERE, and his "Mar-A-Lago buddies" who whisper their thoughts on the VA are all fans of eliminating the VA altogether and turning disabled veterans loose in a for-profit medical market that couldn't care less about anything that doesn't look like a cash cow.

The environment is now something that consists of coal waste being dumped into waterways with impunity, more coal, less wind and solar, and federal lands being sold off to unregulated buyers who want to turn national parks and monuments into oilfields.

The daily lies, conspiracy theories and nonstop attacks on literally anything that does not bow and grovel to him is fueling sheer lunacy.
Trump isn't an American president, he's a would be dictator stumping for a slow motion civil war, and even his own hand-picked propaganda network has now decided that perhaps it's best to distance itself from him.

Name one of Trump's policies that follow conservative principles.

It doesn't really matter, since those who claim to conservatives claim his as their own.

And the conceit that anything Trump does is based on any princple other than either self-aggrandizement, self-enrichment, or both, is just that: a conceit. A fable.

Trump is a useful stooge. Conservatives/Republicans forget that at their peril.

Trump is a useful stooge. Conservatives/Republicans forget that at their peril.

Trump is the face of the GOP - he's what the party represents in 2018. That's what Republicans forget at their peril. It's not just him - he's reflecting the party, not the reverse. That's why there is such disgust with the GOP right now. The GOP have embraced Trumpism as the party with both hands.

Dumbasses.

The DNC is a party, so can be a cult of personality, as there's no central figure.

Republicans, OTOH, do everything Trump says and does, and believe everything he tells them. They believe all of his crude lies, without the slightest skepticism at all, attacking anybody that points out the obvious.

I disagree. Trump is a tool, a useful idiot, who a- will sign most anything GOP legislators put in front of him, and b-whose antics distract the crowd while the republicans pass legislation or his cabinet installs regulations that wouldn’t survive if they got any attention. He is the carnival barker who entertains the crowd while pickpockets do their work.

I don't hate Trump, but think he's a joke. I hope the GOP properly manages his possible failure. When Trump fails, the splash will throw tons of fecal matter. Wise people will arrange not to get any of the stink splattered on them. I understand those who use Trump while it's to their advantage and hope those same people are smart enough to get out of way when Trump hits the fan.

You’re not even able to clarify what form that “failure” takes. Until you can do that your dissatisfaction with trump is impotent. It is precisely as impotent as the belief that you can fix problems here by moving to Australia.

Conservatives and moderates in the GOP should have called out Trump a while ago. He does not care about anyone but himself.

The GOP did a good job making lemonade out that lemon. Trump was the 2016 nominee because non-Republicans voted in open primaries, presumably to select Hillary's weakest opponent. Now you have him in the White House. Choke on it lefties. As an added bonus, you could have manipulated him into enacting part of your agenda, but you let Trump Derangement Syndrome get the best of you. That means that Trump politically had no place else to go except the right. The Democrats beat Trump in the dysfunctional Olympics. That's quite a feat!

That's delusional, and baseless. Trump has the support of 90% of Republicans, he is the face of the GOP. Who are going to have to choke on it are those 90% of Republicans who embraced Trump and what he stands for with both arms in a years' long embrace, but find themselves unable to pretend they were different.

I disagree. Trump is a tool, a useful idiot, who a- will sign most anything GOP legislators put in front of him, and b-whose antics distract the crowd while the republicans pass legislation or his cabinet installs regulations that wouldn’t survive if they got any attention. He is the carnival barker who entertains the crowd while pickpockets do their work.

That's practically what I said. I add this one important difference. Leftists/Democrats see your WHOLE paycheck as THEIRS and anything you get to keep is by their good graces. It stands to reason that anyone wanting to keep more of their paycheck would be viewed as a "pickpocket". I do agree that Trump will likely cease to be useful soon.

That's delusional, and baseless. Trump has the support of 90% of Republicans, he is the face of the GOP. Who are going to have to choke on it are those 90% of Republicans who embraced Trump and what he stands for with both arms in a years' long embrace, but find themselves unable to pretend they were different.

Define "support". I support him as a useful stooge. The GOP should flush him like toilet paper when he is no longer useful. That process will speed up if the Democrats successfully decide to not let its hard left serve up a turd sandwich for the vast majority of Americans. Trump's usefulness will end when he becomes politically radioactive.

Its quite a feat to make Steny Hoyer and Connor Lamb look palatable by comparison. If the Bernie Sanders supporters lead the Democrats, the voters will run away.

Last edited:
Define "support". I support him as a useful stooge. The GOP should flush him like toilet paper when he is no longer useful. That process will speed up if the Democrats successfully decide to not let its hard left serve up a turd sandwich for the vast majority of Americans. Trump's usefulness will end when he becomes politically radioactive.

Its quite a feat to make Steny Hoyer and Connor Lamb look palatable by comparison. If the Bernie Sanders supporters lead the Democrats, the voters will run away.

So...again: what does he have to do to become “politically radioactive?”

Back
Top Bottom