• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

George Bush's "Midnight Regulations" surpass Clinton's!

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
If you thought Bill Clinton was bad in his last throws of the Presidency, wait 'till you see what the schrub is doing on Capitol Hill. George Bush's "Midnight Regulations" are showing just how partisan he is and making it harder for the Obama team to overturn what he has done. Bush's actions of late night laws are doing nothing but benefiting big business that has been filling his coffers all these years.
One rule transfers assessment of the impact of ocean-fishing away from federal inspectors to advisory groups linked to the fishing industry. Another allows factory farms to self-regulate disposal of pollutant run-off.
This guy is a curse to everything that is American.

Here's a few other examples of his signing carnege...

Bush's midnight regulations will:

- Make it easier for coal companies to dump waste from strip-mining into valleys and streams.

- Ease the building of coal-fired power stations nearer to national parks.

- Allow people to carry loaded and concealed weapons in national parks.

- Open up millions of acres to mining for oil shale.

- Allow healthcare workers to opt out of giving treatment for religious or moral reasons, thus weakening abortion rights.

- Hurt road safety by allowing truck drivers to stay at the wheel for 11 consecutive hours.

What did Clinton due in the eleventh hour? Bush has been focusing very heavily on the environment, which surprised me a bit

Bush's actions of late night laws are doing nothing but benefiting big business that has been filling his coffers all these years. This guy is a curse to everything that is American.

I don't see how allowing people to carry loaded and concealed weapons in national parks benefits big business.

or how allowing healthcare workers to opt out of giving treatment for religious or moral reasons benefits big business.

or how allowing truck drivers to stay at the wheel for 11 consecutive hours benefits big business.

I guess the ones about coal companies are in favor of big business, but big business isn't really unamerican.

Pardoned a bunch of criminal's.

Besides that I mean (and I wouldn't be so quick to say that Bush won't do the same - the first wave was unusually early and boring).

Did he similarly push through a bunch of policies or is that unique to Bush?

or how allowing healthcare workers to opt out of giving treatment for religious or moral reasons benefits big business.

Directly? Probably not. But given how meat packing companies as well as firms like Wal-Mart have provided health care, I wouldn't be surprised if that gets abused by big business to reduce their health care costs by saying that huge numbers of injured workers that normally would have their medical paid by the firm or workmen's comp paid by the firm forgone it for "religion/moral" reasons. Big meat packing firms are notorious for this kind of shenanigans. Read "Fast Food Nation" for more details.

or how allowing truck drivers to stay at the wheel for 11 consecutive hours benefits big business.

I do. Lower shipping costs. Imagine having that much of a reduction in shipping times. JIT worshipers are likely jumping for joy.

Did he similarly push through a bunch of policies or is that unique to Bush?

No, not unique and the story is also a bit misleading. Most of these policies have been vetted for many months and many through oversight committees currently chaired by Democrats. Pres. Bush doesn't just get to snap his fingers on alot of this stuff.

The coal company things are big business and for many Senators thats a big plus in jobs in their districts. Coal powers most of the US so their need is pretty big. We can get into the whole alternative energy thing but that really demands its own separate thread.

The healthcare thing was a civil rights issue. Allows workers to opt out of doing things that they considered morally wrong. Does not mean a patient is denied service, only that a different healthcare worker will do the job.

Truck driver issue has been debated for the past 2 years. Some people are against it argueing that tired drivers are more prone to wrecks. Surprisingly alot of drivers are in favor of it because they are under time constraints to make their deliveries or be fined. Of course the businesses are all for it.

The CCL issue isn't much of an issue. If you have a Concealled Carry License (CCL) then you're trained in firearm safety and handling. If you don't have a CCL you can't carry a firearm on the property. This can be argued either way depending on your stance of firearms. I don't see an issue.

No clue about the oil shale. Unless they came up with some new tech I was under the impression that shale wasn't that efficient in oil generation. If we did get more efficient tech then, yippie! Less need for foreign oil and buys us more time for alternative energy research.

Directly? Probably not. But given how meat packing companies as well as firms like Wal-Mart have provided health care, I wouldn't be surprised if that gets abused by big business to reduce their health care costs by saying that huge numbers of injured workers that normally would have their medical paid by the firm or workmen's comp paid by the firm forgone it for "religion/moral" reasons. Big meat packing firms are notorious for this kind of shenanigans. Read "Fast Food Nation" for more details.

likely you are right but this wasn't my understanding of it at all, the way it was worded in the OP I thought it meant people who work in hospitals and clinics could refuse to perform procedures that went against their religion or morals.

If you thought Bill Clinton was bad in his last throws of the Presidency, wait 'till you see what the schrub is doing on Capitol Hill. George Bush's "Midnight Regulations" are showing just how partisan he is and making it harder for the Obama team to overturn what he has done. Bush's actions of late night laws are doing nothing but benefiting big business that has been filling his coffers all these years.This guy is a curse to everything that is American.

Sorry, I don't see anything wrong with any of those things.
Now if you want to talk about the things Bush has done wrong....

likely you are right but this wasn't my understanding of it at all, the way it was worded in the OP I thought it meant people who work in hospitals and clinics could refuse to perform procedures that went against their religion or morals.

Given how the meat packing industry works, I'm sure they will find a way to get out of paying workmen's comp or medical bills through this regulation. They've done it before with other seemingly irrelevant regulations.

Given how the meat packing industry works, I'm sure they will find a way to get out of paying workmen's comp or medical bills through this regulation. They've done it before with other seemingly irrelevant regulations.

you could easily make the same vague statement about anything.

if my interpretation is correct and bush is making it possible for medical professionals to refrain from performing medical procedures they have a moral objection to, I don't see how this could possibly end up with employers or insurance companies refusing to pay workers' comp or bills.

Last edited:
you could easily make the same vague statement about anything.

if my interpretation is correct and bush is making it possible for medical professionals to refrain from performing medical procedures they have a moral objection to, I don't see how this could possibly end up with employers or insurance companies refusing to pay workers' comp or bills.

That depends. For instance, several large meat packing industries have internal healthcare and medical practices within their firms. If a worker gets injured, they can either sign a waiver disvowing their right to sue and the firm takes care of all of the costs. Or they could refuse and be forced to get healthcare elsewhere. No one ever doesn't sign because it often takes months to years before they can sue for health care coverage and medical costs from the firm. Hence the meat packing firm effectively controls the health care costs and what their employees can get. Once they are in, this law now allows the firms to effectively deny coverage and get away with it due to the waiver being signed.

I'm pretty sure Bush didn't intend that, but given how the meat packing works and how it treats its employees for their medical, this is pretty hilarious in a twisted sort of way.

That depends. For instance, several large meat packing industries have internal healthcare and medical practices within their firms. If a worker gets injured, they can either sign a waiver disvowing their right to sue and the firm takes care of all of the costs. Or they could refuse and be forced to get healthcare elsewhere. No one ever doesn't sign because it often takes months to years before they can sue for health care coverage and medical costs from the firm. Hence the meat packing firm effectively controls the health care costs and what their employees can get. Once they are in, this law now allows the firms to effectively deny coverage and get away with it due to the waiver being signed.

I'm pretty sure Bush didn't intend that, but given how the meat packing works and how it treats its employees for their medical, this is pretty hilarious in a twisted sort of way.

bush's policy as far as I know only gives privileges to healthcare workers, not employers or insurance companies. unless there is some fine print, it doesn't look like companies could abuse this short of bribing doctors and nurses to conscientiously object to common medical procedures. the only way I see this policy being used at all is by those who would opt out of performing abortions without risking their jobs or professional reputations.

bush's policy as far as I know only gives privileges to healthcare workers, not employers or insurance companies.

And these meat packers employ doctors and nurses who provide much of the medical care. The ruling applies to them.

Like I said before, I doubt Bush intended that side effect, but quite frankly, unintended consequences generally don't get considered in the Bush administration.

And these meat packers employ doctors and nurses who provide much of the medical care. The ruling applies to them.

even still, I don't see a bunch of doctors and nurses objecting to setting a broken arm on moral grounds.

even still, I don't see a bunch of doctors and nurses objecting to setting a broken arm on moral grounds.

Ah, but the difference is that the doctors and nurses are under the control of the meat packer management. This is ripe for abuse. Management could simply make it policy to deny a wide variety of expensive procedures on "moral/religious" grounds.

Ah, but the difference is that the doctors and nurses are under the control of the meat packer management. This is ripe for abuse. Management could simply make it policy to deny a wide variety of expensive procedures on "moral/religious" grounds.

I really think you're making a mountain of a molehill.

I really think you're making a mountain of a molehill.

I think you need to study the abuses of the meat packing industry on illegal workers.

Again, I never said Bush intended this (I doubt the thought even crossed his mind). But this is a logical outcome given the previous behavior of several large firms in that industry.

I think you need to study the abuses of the meat packing industry on illegal workers.

Again, I never said Bush intended this (I doubt the thought even crossed his mind). But this is a logical outcome given the previous behavior of several large firms in that industry.

fair enough I will look into it and let you know if I change my mind. but don't hold your breath, just in case.

paul simon fan?

- Make it easier for coal companies to dump waste from strip-mining into valleys and streams.

- Allow healthcare workers to opt out of giving treatment for religious or moral reasons, thus weakening abortion rights.

- Hurt road safety by allowing truck drivers to stay at the wheel for 11 consecutive hours.

note you failed to link to the actual EO's.....

The ones in bold are good. :lol:

oh and as usual you are hoplessly wrong. :2wave:

Clinton 364 executive orders, wanna get into em? :lol:

So the treatment of illegal workers by the firms should be studied to gain insight into how these same firms might treat legal workers as a consequence of the President's actions?

Dude, I think you need to tell us where you're getting these ideas from so we can read this speculation with our own eyes. You're doing a good job of relaying the original author's intent or criticism.

So Bush is expected to divine that these same firms will abuse these new rules because of how they treated illegal workers?

With this kind of logic then any firm could be accuced of some future abuse any regulation at any time...

Not a very compelling argument. :roll:

note you failed to link to the actual EO's.....

The ones in bold are good. :lol:

oh and as usual you are hoplessly wrong. :2wave:

Clinton 364 executive orders, wanna get into em? :lol:
And you've failed to provide any evidence to corroborate your claim.............once again!

If you thought Bill Clinton was bad in his last throws of the Presidency, wait 'till you see what the schrub is doing on Capitol Hill. George Bush's "Midnight Regulations" are showing just how partisan he is and making it harder for the Obama team to overturn what he has done. Bush's actions of late night laws are doing nothing but benefiting big business that has been filling his coffers all these years.This guy is a curse to everything that is American.

No big deal. Obama will overturn them, just as Bush overturned Clinton's. I see these 11th hour executive orders is as political statements and nothing more. Now the pardons? That's another issue altogether. Bush promised not to be a Bill Clinton, and look - He's a Bill Clinton.

Damn, if I were president I'd..........

1) Pardon Tommy Chong.

2) Issue an executive order to change the phrase "As American as apple pie" to "As American as beer".

3) Appoint a clown to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals.

4) Pardon Dick Cheney for any and all old men he has shot in the face.

5) Replace the United States Supreme Court with a panel consisting of Jay Leno, David Letterman, Jimmy Kimmel, Chevy Chase, Dan Aykroyd, Dave Chappelle, Cheech Marin, Eddie Murphy, and Chris Rock. I would give them Coleman v. Franken as their first case, and make America laugh again.

6) To show what I think of the Federal Reserve, I would appoint Governor Blago as its new head.

7) I would rename Texas as "Taco Bell", and California as "Taco Cabana".

8) I would make possession of marijuana a serious crime, punishable by giving each offender a pound of weed.

9) I would order that all politicans register as common sense offenders, and order the Liars Club to handle the registry.

10) Finally, I would appoint myself President for Life, and while inside my padded cell, scream "You can't put me in here. I am the goddam president".

Last edited:
Thing is, the Clinton regulations were good for the country:

The Clinton Administration enacted a flurry of rules limiting logging and lead paint, raising appliance energy efficiency, and tightening privacy of medical records. One of Clinton's midnight regulations imposed a more stringent drinking water standard for arsenic after years of EPA study. Although Bush suspended the new regulation upon taking office.
GWB's regulations, by contrast, are entirely evil It's one of those "difference between night and day" things. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom