• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

George Bush calls off trip to Switzerland

Arcana XV

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
George Bush calls off trip to Switzerland | Law | The Guardian

Bush had been due to deliver a speech at a dinner in Geneva organised by the United Israel Appeal, a US-based organisation that helps Jews move to Israel. Robert Equey, the organisation's lawyer, was quoted by the Swiss daily Tribune de Genève at the weekend saying that the decision to abandon the speech was because of concern that the protests might lead to violence, not fear of an arrest warrant.

"The calls to demonstrate were sliding into dangerous terrain," Equey said. "The organisers claimed to be able to maintain order, but warned they could not be held responsible for any outbursts." The threat of an arrest warrant had not been a factor in the decision. The Centre for Constitutional Rights, the human rights group seeking an arrest warrant, said: "Whatever Bush or his hosts say, we have no doubt he cancelled his trip to avoid our case."

Human rights campaigners said they would seek arrest warrants wherever Bush planned to travel outside the US.

Folco Galli, a spokesman for the Swiss justice ministry, told the Associated Press that the department's initial assessment was that Bush would have enjoyed immunity from prosecution for any actions taken while in office.

But Amnesty International said today that it had sent a detailed factual and legal analysis to Swiss prosecutors, claiming there was sufficient information to open a criminal investigation.

"Such an investigation would be mandatory under Switzerland's international obligations if President Bush entered the country," Amnesty said.

Freaking hippies. :2razz:

I'm no fan of Bush, but this is ridiculous.

-- I'm no fan of Bush, but this is ridiculous.

Why? Where did you stand on the arrest of General Pinochet? He stopped travelling to Europe soon after too.....

Actually, this sets a wonderful precedent for the treatment of Obama when he leaves office. Obama the war criminal has escalated the illegal drone war against the innocent civilians of Pakistan. Obama will be arrested some day. I don't care about Bush. But I assure you there will be no peace for Obama. He will be hounded for the rest of his days. And you can take that to the ****ing bank.

Why? Where did you stand on the arrest of General Pinochet? He stopped travelling to Europe soon after too.....

I think leaders should be arrested and tried in their own countries by their own citizens. I also don't think Switzerland has any kind of moral high ground here, considering we've semi-officially given legitimacy to a terrorist organization that commits much worse acts than waterboarding. We're one of the few Western countries that "has contacts" with the Hamas government in Gaza.

Who's behind the witch-hunt? Lefties, Muslims or both?

Both have reason to hate him (one for being a filthy Republican and the other for ousting pro-terrorist Islamist governments without permission).

And to threaten to arrest an ex-world leader at an event sponsoring Jews moving to Israel? Bet the Palestinians and their Hamas bosses are glad a spanner's been thrown in that works to boot!

No it is not. He should be arrested if he came to Europe. I would wager Spain and a few other countries would love to get their hands on him and Cheney and Rumsfeldt.

So it is best he does not leave Texas.

Huh, here and I thought it was only the United States that sought to prosecute crimes committed outside their jurisdiction. My bad. :lol:

Don't understand what he has to look for in the land of Swiss cheese, but it's not like the Swiss are really willing to create diplomatic incidents with the US, I don't think they'd have arrested him.

Leftists, the UN has spoken out against Obama's use of flying robots to kill civilians.

The conservative legal community in America is sharpening their figurative knives.

Obama will be tried overseas. The Hague. Just like Slobodan Milosevic. I **** you not. We are patient. Conservatives will wait decades if necessary. No mercy.

Who's behind the witch-hunt? Lefties, Muslims or both?

Both have reason to hate him (one for being a filthy Republican and the other for ousting pro-terrorist Islamist governments without permission).

And to threaten to arrest an ex-world leader at an event sponsoring Jews moving to Israel? Bet the Palestinians and their Hamas bosses are glad a spanner's been thrown in that works to boot!

Amnesty International mostly.

Anyway, there is next to zero chance he would have been arrested. My "Freaking hippies" comments was directed at the idiot demonstrators that would have wrecked the city if he showed up, not at those who want him arrested. The same anti-globalisation groups that tore through the city center during the January 2009 WEF demonstrations were expected to return. Whatever happened to peaceful protests?

Don't understand what he has to look for in the land of Swiss cheese, but it's not like the Swiss are really willing to create diplomatic incidents with the US, I don't think they'd have arrested him.

He would have not been arrested. As for what he was coming here for:

Bush had been due to deliver a speech at a dinner in Geneva organised by the United Israel Appeal, a US-based organisation that helps Jews move to Israel.

No it is not. He should be arrested if he came to Europe. I would wager Spain and a few other countries would love to get their hands on him and Cheney and Rumsfeldt.

So it is best he does not leave Texas.

I'd wager europe wouldn't Have the balls to touch him. Joos your daddy...... :pimpdaddy:

Waterboarding is not torture.

Thanks for the linkage. Not only words but actions, too, have consequences. Authorizing waterboarding, torture by international standards, certainly should have consequences. I think George W. Bush should face these charges in court, preferably an American court, but, a Swiss court will do, too.

anyone who tries to arrest W ought to die quickly and any country who sponsors such an action should get treated as an enemy and suffer the consequences. I would say this about Obama too. f with our presidents-get wasted.

and you know this because ...?????

United Nations Convention Against Torture
Part I

Article 1
For the purposes of this Convention, torture means any act by which severe pain or suffering, whether physical or mental, is intentionally inflicted on a person for such purposes as obtaining from him or a third person information or a confession, punishing him for an act he or a third person has committed or is suspected of having committed, or intimidating or coercing him or a third person, or for any reason based on discrimination of any kind, when such pain or suffering is inflicted by or at the instigation of or with the consent or acquiescence of a public official or other person acting in an official capacity. It does not include pain or suffering arising only from, inherent in or incidental to lawful sanctions.

Waterboarding does not constitute severe pain or suffering, physical or mental.

Thanks for the linkage. Not only words but actions, too, have consequences. Authorizing waterboarding, torture by international standards, certainly should have consequences. I think George W. Bush should face these charges in court, preferably an American court, but, a Swiss court will do, too.

If the swiss tied it we'd make that place look like its cheese.

Gitmo is still open
As are all tjose prisons....

Should the swiss try him as well?

What pain or suffering does it cause?

Lets see. You think you are drowning and think you are about to die. You choke nearly to death and nearly suffocate from lack of breathable air.

But here is a firsthand report from one of your fellow conservatives who actually experienced and DID NOT believe it was torture.. until it happened to him

Waterboarding.org started with the idea that the best way to learn about something is direct experience. Learn what it is and how to do it, then experience it yourself, then discuss whether it does or doesn't fit the legal definition of torture. Recently, Matthew "Mancow" Muller decided to investigate the issue for himself.

"I wanted to prove it wasn't torture," Mancow said. "They cut off our heads, we put water on their face...I got voted to do this but I really thought 'I'm going to laugh this off.' "
Witnesses said Muller thrashed on the table, and even instantly threw the toy cow he was holding as his emergency tool to signify when he wanted the experiment to stop. He only lasted 6 or 7 seconds.

"It is way worse than I thought it would be, and that's no joke,"Mancow said, likening it to a time when he nearly drowned as a child. "It is such an odd feeling to have water poured down your nose with your head back...It was instantaneous...and I don't want to say this: absolutely torture."

Last edited:
Lets see. You think you are drowning and think you are about to die. You choke nearly to death and nearly suffocate from lack of breathable air.

But here is a firsthand report from one of your fellow conservatives who actually experienced and DID NOT believe it was torture.. until it happened to him

Anecdotal evidence. You just think you are suffocating. You certainly don't choke nearly to death. There is no pain. There is no suffering. It is a mental trick.

Back
Top Bottom