• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Genetically modified Mosquitos!!!! Ahhhhh

SBu

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
An Oxford affiliated firm has bio-engineered a form of mosquito that is able to reduce the overall population of mosquito in the wild.

The male versions of this mosquito, when introduced to the wild, mate with their wild female counterparts, but due to the genetic modification the larvae somehow die off or produce incapable offspring. Additionally, these genetically modified males don't bite humans like their wild female counterparts. So the net affect is that the overall population of mosquitoes goes down, as well as mosquito borne illness transmitted to humans. This has been clinically tested in Brazil and the Cayman Islands.

This is revolutionary and a game changer. But not everyone is on board... In hippie bastion Key West, scientifically maladjusted hippies have cried foul rushing to sign petitions on 'change.org' and no doubt a lie laden article from 'truth.org' is forthcoming, in an effort to stop this marvel of modern science from benefiting their population.

What do you think? Isn't this what Science is supposed to do? Do the hippies have a point? Isn't it fun how members of both political ideologies continually disregard science (conservatives out of skepticism, and liberals out of fear)?

My personal take is that this is awesome. Think of all of the countries with significant mosquito problems that could benefit. I'm not sure what Key West's problem with mosquitoes is, but I can probably think of a better place than there to test these mosquitoes, especially given the local opposition.

Florida Keys: Sunshine, blue skies and genetically-modified mosquitoes? - The Washington Post

An Oxford affiliated firm has bio-engineered a form of mosquito that is able to reduce the overall population of mosquito in the wild.

The male versions of this mosquito, when introduced to the wild, mate with their wild female counterparts, but due to the genetic modification the larvae somehow die off or produce incapable offspring. Additionally, these genetically modified males don't bite humans like their wild female counterparts. So the net affect is that the overall population of mosquitoes goes down, as well as mosquito borne illness transmitted to humans. This has been clinically tested in Brazil and the Cayman Islands.

This is revolutionary and a game changer. But not everyone is on board... In hippie bastion Key West, scientifically maladjusted hippies have cried foul rushing to sign petitions on 'change.org' and no doubt a lie laden article from 'truth.org' is forthcoming, in an effort to stop this marvel of modern science from benefiting their population.

What do you think? Isn't this what Science is supposed to do? Do the hippies have a point? Isn't it fun how members of both political ideologies continually disregard science (conservatives out of skepticism, and liberals out of fear)?

My personal take is that this is awesome. Think of all of the countries with significant mosquito problems that could benefit. I'm not sure what Key West's problem with mosquitoes is, but I can probably think of a better place than there to test these mosquitoes, especially given the local opposition.

Florida Keys: Sunshine, blue skies and genetically-modified mosquitoes? - The Washington Post

I think the 'hippies' have too much DEET in their bloodstream.

If true, it would be a wonderful achievement. I wholeheartedly agree that the number of those who wish to stymie scientific advances that alleviate hunger and human suffering is staggering.

No male mosquitos bite humans, but the idea of introducing defective breeding males sounds promising.

The female mosquito is the one that bites (males feed on flower nectar). She requires blood to produce eggs. Her mouthparts are constructed so that they pierce the skin, literally sucking the blood out. Her saliva lubricates the opening. It’s the saliva plus the injury to the skin that creates the stinging and irritation we associate with mosquito bites.

Why do mosquitoes bite me and not my friend? Everyday Mysteries: Fun Science Facts from the Library of Congress

I hate mosquitoes with a passion, but I love little brown bats, swallows and purple martins. So I am all for reducing the pesky insects while remaining respectful of other creatures.

I hate mosquitoes with a passion, but I love little brown bats, swallows and purple martins. So I am all for reducing the pesky insects while remaining respectful of other creatures.

Plenty more "meatier" choices out there than mosquitoes -especially for bats. They are quite low on the menu.

Good point, however, one must also consider the harmful affects of these animals eating DEET, or similar chemical, laced mosquitoes and the general affect of these chemicals on humans and other animals exposed.

I have seen in other sources that this technique could lower the mosquito population in some areas by as much as 90% (ABC news broadcast). Which if true, may have some habitat impact, but given the sheer gargantuan size of some mosquito populations, it hopefully wouldn't be significant.

I am conflicted on this, having a good bit of old hippie tendency myself, but also having worked in medicine for thirty years.
I think things like this need a great deal of judicious reasoning applied, and a slow cautious approach. Just because we CAN do something, doesn't always mean it is a good idea.

Good point, however, one must also consider the harmful affects of these animals eating DEET, or similar chemical, laced mosquitoes and the general affect of these chemicals on humans and other animals exposed.

I have seen in other sources that this technique could lower the mosquito population in some areas by as much as 90% (ABC news broadcast). Which if true, may have some habitat impact, but given the sheer gargantuan size of some mosquito populations, it hopefully wouldn't be significant.

I would hope that the effects on wildlife; bats, birds and mosquito's natural predators would be have been done already over a long period of time to make sure there are no "unintended consequences" associated with these GMO male mosquito's.

I would hope that the effects on wildlife; bats, birds and mosquito's natural predators would be have been done already over a long period of time to make sure there are no "unintended consequences" associated with these GMO male mosquito's.

They are a parasite. There is plenty other flying insects out there for the wildlife to make up for the small percentage of mosquitoes being eaten. Lot's of work to eat as many mosquitoes as one large juicy moth.

That will kill the birds.

If true, it would be a wonderful achievement. I wholeheartedly agree that the number of those who wish to stymie scientific advances that alleviate hunger and human suffering is staggering.

You do not like the twitter of birds and the swooping flight of the swallow?

Lots of birds live on mosquitoes as the main course.

So, they'll adapt to better, more nutritious, night flying insects.

I am conflicted on this, having a good bit of old hippie tendency myself, but also having worked in medicine for thirty years.
I think things like this need a great deal of judicious reasoning applied, and a slow cautious approach. Just because we CAN do something, doesn't always mean it is a good idea.

Just let the Frankenstein Mosquitoes loose and pray. ;)

This is a really bad idea. The unintended consequences could be staggering.

Grave premonition of disaster. However, this is often the first reaction to new scientific solutions to problems.

Oh, the horror of ending all the chemicals in the air and water - damn the amphibians anyway. ;)

They are a parasite.
Irrelevant - they are part of the food chain for many animals and if they are genetically modified, it serves that the food source should be tested against their natural predators to make sure there is nothing adverse that could happen.

There is plenty other flying insects out there for the wildlife to make up for the small percentage of mosquitoes being eaten. Lot's of work to eat as many mosquitoes as one large juicy moth.
Also irrelevant. But please, send a memo to all the mosquito predators and tell them to skip the mosquito's and go for the moths instead. Let me know how that works out.

They are a parasite. There is plenty other flying insects out there for the wildlife to make up for the small percentage of mosquitoes being eaten. Lot's of work to eat as many mosquitoes as one large juicy moth.

It's not always as simple as "they will just eat something else". The ecosystem is a complex balancing act. That said, mosquitos kill more people than all other animals on the planet combined, including other humans, so I am sure whatever negative consequences there might be will be more than worth it. I'm optimistic.

Afternoon SBu. :2wave: Yeah they had have some difficulties when trying to do this in the Keys. But I don't think it is just over what the hippies have to say. This goes back to 2012.

One of the important issues this situation has brought to light is the lack of regulatory oversight for these sort of genetically engineered organisms. Criticism that Oxitec has approached field testing of the mosquitoes with too much secrecy should, perhaps, be tempered by the fact there are not clear guidelines how to proceed with this sort of testing. In all cases, it seems that Oxitec has worked with local authorities to obtain the necessary approvals to proceed with the testing.

Reportedly, the Florida Keys Mosquito Control District have subsequently contacted multiple government agencies, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the U.S. Department of Agriculture, and the Environmental Protection Agency to try to find the one that has responsibility for this sort of program. None have accepted jurisdiction. Oxitec and the Mosquito Control District are waiting to hear from the FDA.....snip~

Are There Pesticides in Some GMOs?:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/scien...engineered-mosquitoes-released-into-wild.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/gener...-gmo-insects-could-released-florida-keys.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...keys-over-fighting-mosquitoes-mosquitoes.html

Beware the Zombies created.
evil.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom