• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Genetic Politics

which statement is more true?

• There is a conservative gene

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Slartibartfast

Jesus loves you.
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Scientists Find 'Liberal Gene' | NBC San Diego

Given the information in the article, which statement is more true?

There is a liberal gene.
There is a conservative gene.

If we want to go deeper, the next logical question would be, is one of these variants a defective one? :mrgreen:

Last edited:
I'll take it that the Libertarian gene come from a mutation in the 47th chromosome.

That's amusing, but completely asinine. One's political leaning is entirely learned from interactions within one's environment. Absolutely no genetics involved.

I really don't think genetics have to do with political leaning, but one may have a predisposition to lean one way over another the way our brain is hardwired. The environment one is in would be a better determining factor in determining why someone leans one way or the other. Though it's not always reliable, because I should be a staunch conservative considering my environment, though that's not the case.

Though my dad voted republican for Pres. and DFL for Reps. You can blame all the hours I spent watching Rush Limbaugh when I was a teen for how I turned out.

I am seriously beginning to get worried. The combination of skeezy social scientists getting involved with genetics combined with an incredibly dishonest and sensationalist media is very dangerous. I really wish there was a way to separate real genetic research done by biologists from morons like this in the eyes of the public.

Nothing skeezy about it, the methodology would be simple enough to find a simple correlation.

Genes only pass on body structure, not behavior, character, or intelligence. Like father like son is the closest to gene influence you can get.

Not true. The factors that influence human behavior are so complex that the best answer at this time is that don't understand the many factors that influence the outcome. Genetics may play a role, but nobody really knows how large or small that role is.

There is a liberal gene.
Neither. One permutation simply makes the brain more open to and seeking of new experiences. That mindset tends to make one more liberal whereas those who find comfort in known ideas and concepts tend to be more Conservative.

If we want to go deeper, the next logical question would be, is one of these variants a defective one? :mrgreen:
That depends on your perspective.

That's amusing, but completely asinine. One's political leaning is entirely learned from interactions within one's environment. Absolutely no genetics involved.
It isnt that someone is genetically hardwired to be a Republican or Democrat, its what our brains do with new information. People with this gene generally want to experience and see alternative things, that leads to a more liberal mindset.

There is a liberal gene.

I think it's mostly how people come to conclusions through thinking.
Some aspects could predispose how a person thinks, which could influence a political leaning.

I think it's part of each.

Apple's most hardcore fans trend towards having the 'religion' gene.

I'm not sure if I have either gene though, that'd be illuminating.

I probably have the liberal gene. :lol:

If you understood some of the biology behind this, you might not be so definitively dismissive. The particular gene involved here encodes for one of the dopamine receptors, which are signal transducing proteins that reside on the membranes of neuronal dendrites in the brain. Dopamine is a neurotransmitter involved in several aspects of cognitive function, including memory and analytical ability. The different variants involved may very well have different physical properties that alter functional sensitivity to dopamine challenge. It's not inconceivable that a brain with one variant may make decisions very differently than a brain having the other variant.

There is a liberal gene.

Scientifically speaking, neither one is defective. I believe that genetic politics should be further researched. However, I can't really reply judgment to either one, as I believe in natural selection. Because neither liberals nor conservatives have died off, it means that both types of people provide some type of benefit to human society.

Liberals provide a people of one set of specific values. Conservatives provide a people of a different set of specific values. Speaking on a grand scale, both sets of values are required to ensure the survival of the human race.

In different environmental settings, one or both of those values will cause the humans who have them to better survive. In some environments, liberal values will cause the flourishing of humanity. In other environments, conservatives values will cause the flourishing of humanity. In some environments, both sets of values will cause the flourishing of humanity. In some environments, neither set of values will cause the flourishing of humanity.

After all, take sociopaths. I read an article that once stated that the scientific purpose behind sociopaths was specifically so that there would be some types of humans who would put their own survival above all others as a natural safeguard to the continuation of the human race. So I definitely think that genetics can influence human behavior, and therefore influence a person's politics. However, I don't think a specific value judgment can be applied to genetic politics. Every set has their own evolutionary purpose.

Scientifically speaking, neither one is defective.

I know. I worded it that way to see if I could catch any hacks :mrgreen:

Of course there is no such thing....
However ,what could be genetic is compassion for others, this generally would be more liberal than libertarian....IMO...

Of course there is no such thing....
However ,what could be genetic is compassion for others, this generally would be more liberal than libertarian....IMO...

I disagree. I think Conservatives are much more compassionate.
It's a fact that they are more charitable.

Just because they are against high taxes and big entitlements doesn't mean they don't care. They want everyone to have the same opportunties to succeed and non stop handouts only prevent people from succeeding in life. Hand ups, not hand outs.
Hand outs tend to keep people down. That is not compassionate.

Not true. The factors that influence human behavior are so complex that the best answer at this time is that don't understand the many factors that influence the outcome. Genetics may play a role, but nobody really knows how large or small that role is.

You're right... Behavior conditioning is complex. Starting with the influence of parents and older sibs, behavior conditioning moves on to teachers and peer inputs. Teens get more of the same but from many more sources.

Counting up all the days, hours, and minutes, behavior conditioning goes through, it's no wonder that the result is so complex.

ricksfolly

Hillary Clinton used to be a Goldwater Girl when she was in college. I guess the gene thing has been debunked now.

I disagree. I think Conservatives are much more compassionate.
It's a fact that they are more charitable.

Just because they are against high taxes and big entitlements doesn't mean they don't care. They want everyone to have the same opportunties to succeed and non stop handouts only prevent people from succeeding in life. Hand ups, not hand outs.
Hand outs tend to keep people down. That is not compassionate.

Not wanting to be poor and desiring material things is a pretty strong incentive to steer clear of welfare. It is a hard one to top through artifice.

Nothing skeezy about it, the methodology would be simple enough to find a simple correlation.

The science might not be skeezy in the strictest sense of the word, but people have a hard time contextualizing scientific observations, and the media doesn't help.

Last edited:
I think it's mostly how people come to conclusions through thinking.
Some aspects could predispose how a person thinks, which could influence a political leaning.

I think it's part of each.

Political leaning, yes, but not in the way you think.

95 percent of the voters vote against, not for, because all the "for' documentation is too extensive, too complex, and too wordy to reach an honest "for" conclusion.

Far easier to say no than yes to anything. "Yes" opens new doors to endless possibilities. "No" keeps them closed.

ricksfolly

Political leaning, yes, but not in the way you think.

95 percent of the voters vote against, not for, because all the "for' documentation is too extensive, too complex, and too wordy to reach an honest "for" conclusion.

Far easier to say no than yes to anything. "Yes" opens new doors to endless possibilities. "No" keeps them closed.

ricksfolly

This is stupid. Why do I like Spider-Man so much and think Superman is a bitch? I guess genes? Why do I like beef jerky so much more than pineapple? geez.

Back
Top Bottom