• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Genetic Discrimination at work?

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
If the science of genetic technology advanced to the point where the corporate world started using genetic profiles for evaluating potential employees, would this be discrimination at the workplace (ie., the same as race, religion, color, etc)?

I know that there would be a natural tendancy to pass up on employees who had balls on their foreheads. And I think that's just wrong.... :rofl

But seriously, I think it certainly would. And I can tell you another place where it would have a serious impact - INSURANCE! I'm an insurance agent, and I can tell you for a fact, that the insurance industry would JUMP at the chance to be able to underwrite based on genetic predispositions. The CEO's would be laughing all the way to the bank ;)

It wouldn't be the same as race or religion, becasue they have no (or very very little, such as religion, maybe you can't come to work on sunday or something) no effect on how well you can do a job. Genetics do.

Interesting premise. How would genetics show how well you work? So, if your dad was a raging alcoholic who couldn't bag groceries, yet you never touched a drop, you shouldn't get hired? There's plenty of genetic studies showing the tendency toward addictions, is that fair in hiring practices?

Are you refering your idea from Gattaca. Because thats exactly the movie was potraying.

Back
Top Bottom