• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Generic Top Ten Games Thread - Because I'm Bored.

Oh and I forgot Rainbow Six and Rogue Spear. Those were the pinnacle of tactical shooters and though graphics have improved, there are a lot of gameplay elements from those and Ghost Recon that add so much depth, but developers don't even bother with anymore.

What I was looking for was all the original Rogue Spear missions ported to the Rainbow Six III Raven Shield engine (Unreal?). That would truly make it a great game. Any leads?

Loved axis and allies

A friend had the expansion version of it

Hungry Hippos was a brawl waiting to happen. Easily the most violence inspiring game I ever played.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if this has been done to death, but name your top ten favorite games. If you can't name ten, then that's okay.

This is in no particular order, and right of the top of my head.

The Last of Us.
Silent Hill
Valkyria Chronicles
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Portal 2
Persona 5
Deus Ex
TES: Oblivion
Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon
I'm so out of touch with gamer lore that I've not played a single one of ^these games! Most I've never even heard of. The last time I bought an actual game console was in 2004 when I bought a Nintendo Game Cube, which I played for a grand total of maybe 3 hours, before relegating it to my drawer!

The last console I owned before the Game Cube, was a Sega Master's system from the 80s! I bought it and approx 25 game cartridges from a coworker, who'd just upgraded to the much anticipated Sega Genesis in 1990 or 91. Id estimate I didn't play the Master's system for more than 10 total hours, before selling it to someone.

But in 2013 I finally discovered World of Tanks, which I played daily on my laptop(s) til 2015, then I quit, after going through 3 laptops in 3 years! But now that I joined the smartphone revolution in 2012, I've discovered app games. For 2 years I've been playing World Of Warships Blitz religiously. Like World of Tanks, WOWSB requires a lot of skill, situational awareness, patience, practice and strategy.

You DON'T get good until you've played hundreds(or thousands) of games. There are World of Tanks and World of Warships players with many thousands of games, who STILL aren't good yet! My best overall win rate at WOT was 56%, and my current WOWS Blitz win rate is 65.8%.

Quarto is a great two-player game.

The goal is to complete a line of four pieces each sharing one of four characteristics. But there's a twist that makes it far more interesting: every turn, your opponent picks which piece you must play.

I'm vaguely familiar with the latter two, haven't heard of the first one, but I mostly play on a console. I hear that Xcom is pretty difficult.
Some of the older games like xcom terror from the deep can be... a bit of a learning curve but i do like open xcom where i can easily enable mods.

I enjoy these series
Final fantasy
Mario
Legend of zelda
Mega Man (all series except maybe starforce because i really enjoyed the 3x3 grid from battle network vs the..... 3 in starforce)(finally a more positive and nuanced take on advanced robotics than the terminator)
Metal gear
Ace combat
Descent
Arma (i regularly play Arma 3 though its been a pain in the ass for quite a few months due to the coms mod constantly booting me in and out of teamspeak)
Silent Hill
Ookami (great idea though sometimes recycling the same bosses gets annoying)

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but, a LONG time ago there was a little war game where you took turns with someone else and your tank attacked their tank; might have been called tanks. You had to/ could shoot away their cover to get at them. You'd adjust the elevation of your shot for what you hoped would be best affect and then shoot by pressing a key. And your shot would fly through the air, there would be a big explosion and the graphic would change to represent what you'd accomplished; each shot took four EVER. It was designed for a 286. I loaded it up on an early Pentium platform, it was almost unplayable. Setting up the shot was WAY twitchy and the shot and result happened so fast you couldn't see it; pretty hilarious - for about 5 minutes.

The only Computer games I've played were some MUDs and MMRPG's

I don't even remember what the MUDs were called.

The one I remember was RoP, Rights of Passage iirc. There was also AoC (something about aliens). Those used the code that allowed for timers going into moves. Other, earlier Muds, used a code that could only instant act. I don't remember their names. I don't remember the two platform names. My name was Vdovichenko (and variations), a character from Dr. Zhivago.

If I already jumped at the opportunity of someone mentioning Muds, in this thread even, my apologies.

FFXIV
Dragon Quest
Fire Emblem
Legend of Zelda
Mario - All including Kart
Splatoon
Animal Crossing
Katamari Damacy
Mabinogi
Pokemon (including cards)
I play other games but not regularly.
I also try out a lot of indie games.

This list is not in order of what I like the most. It's a lot but to be fair I write game music, stream game play and my kids are digital artists and game developers. Games have been our "sport" of choice. I find reality a bit more of a challenge. :)

Well inqired.

Mass Effect Trilogy
Half Life 2, Blackmesa
Portal 1 & 2
Limbo, Inside
Starcraft 2
Machinarium
The Dig
Unmechanical

Mass Effect Trilogy
Half Life 2, Blackmesa
Portal 1 & 2
Limbo, Inside
Starcraft 2
Machinarium
The Dig
Unmechanical
I had a roommate in 1998 who had Starcraft on his computer, and I played it several times. I remember "constructing" new weapons(like a "Goliath", for instance), and as soon as it completed, a monotone sci-fi voice would say "Goliath online". I looked for that game years later when I bought my first computer, but I couldn't find it.

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but, a LONG time ago there was a little war game where you took turns with someone else and your tank attacked their tank; might have been called tanks. You had to/ could shoot away their cover to get at them. You'd adjust the elevation of your shot for what you hoped would be best affect and then shoot by pressing a key. And your shot would fly through the air, there would be a big explosion and the graphic would change to represent what you'd accomplished; each shot took four EVER. It was designed for a 286. I loaded it up on an early Pentium platform, it was almost unplayable. Setting up the shot was WAY twitchy and the shot and result happened so fast you couldn't see it; pretty hilarious - for about 5 minutes.

The only Computer games I've played were some MUDs and MMRPG's

I don't even remember what the MUDs were called. In the order I played them:

UO: really had the most potential to being an online life, for many reasons but the most prominent was what the players did actually affected the game. Graphics were very primitive but I think some people still play it though I hear its been tamed way down from the wild and woolly days when I played.

EQ: Played it for a very short time; graphics were lame and so was "zoning"

AC: IF you liked playing a mage or a hybrid mage, when it first came out, AC was the best game I've ever played. Then a guy; very bright computer geek (who I actually knew in game, he was on my server), created a utility (split pea) where everybody could know every spell, which was never the intent, actually the opposite. After that the dev's really throttled back what and how players could affect the game; between those two factors and dated graphics the game just died. Again unrealized potential.

WoW; EVERY BODY is exactly like EVERYBODY else that is their class and level, impossible to solo in the later levels which is my thing … mostly, way too tedious to level.

Now I play guitar, not guitar hero; guitar. I'd be much better if I'd have put the time into guitar that I did those games.

That's my 2 cents.
So, you think that in the 2020's, playing a real guitar is more useful and respectable than playing a fake, plastic "game controller guitar" on Guitar Hero?? Well, so did I. But then I learned better! Maybe you should watch these 2 short(funny & ironic) videos, which seem to prove us totally wrong!

I'll list my favorites in chronological order, not by preference, which is easier anyway. Although I list these as my "favorites", most were never played more than just 2 - 8 total, combined hours. I was never really a serious "gamer" until I discovered World of Tanks, and World of Warships Blitz, beginning in 2013.

1. Adventure(original Atari 2600/1981)
2. D & D(early 90s PC game)
3. Starcraft(1998 PC game)
4. Resident Evil(GameCube, 2004)
5. Real Racing 3(iPhone 4s & LG G3, 2013-2014)
6. World of Tanks(PC laptops, 2013 - 2015
7. World of Warships Blitz(Android, 2019 - now)

So, you think that in the 2020's, playing a real guitar is more useful and respectable than playing a fake, plastic "game controller guitar" on Guitar Hero?? Well, so did I. But then I learned better! Maybe you should watch these 2 short(funny & ironic) videos, which seem to prove us totally wrong!

I've been waisting my life, thanks for showing me the light. 😎

No one said Battlefield?

My favorite of all time - best version was the original BF computer mod - Desert Combat.

Also surprised no one mentioned Bioshock. I thought that was one of the most incredible games I’ve ever played.

I'm sorry if this has been done to death, but name your top ten favorite games. If you can't name ten, then that's okay.

This is in no particular order, and right of the top of my head.

The Last of Us.
Silent Hill
Valkyria Chronicles
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Portal 2
Persona 5
Deus Ex
TES: Oblivion
Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon
Chess

In no particular order:
1: Grand Theft Auto series (esp. III & V)
2: Fallout series (esp. 3, New Vegas, and 4)
3: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
4: Battlefield 2
5: Angry Birds
6: Microsoft Flight Simulator X
7: Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun
8: CSR2 (my current addiction)
9: Super Mario Bros.

Aaaannnnd, this last one holds my number 1 spot:
10: Starsiege: Tribes

Back
Top Bottom