• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Generic Top Ten Games Thread - Because I'm Bored.

In no particular order (not counting sequels of games as new titles)...

X-Com
Planescape: Torment
Subnautica
Fallout 1&2
Heroes of Might & Magic 2&3
Portal
Masters of Orion 2
Halflife
ES II: Daggerfall
Dwarf Fortress

In no particular order (not counting sequels of games as new titles)...

X-Com
Planescape: Torment
Subnautica
Fallout 1&2
Heroes of Might & Magic 2&3
Portal
Masters of Orion 2
Halflife
ES II: Daggerfall
Dwarf Fortress

Masters of Orion 2

Ah, yes. Better than both the original and its sequel. They totally screwed the pooch in MOO3.

Masters of Orion 2

Ah, yes. Better than both the original and its sequel. They totally screwed the pooch in MOO3.

I want a new 4X game that has that table top combat feel. I hate that they have all abandon hands on combat in favor of mostly auto-resolve cinematics or abstracted combat.

I want a new 4X game that has that table top combat feel. I hate that they have all abandon hands on combat in favor of mostly auto-resolve cinematics or abstracted combat.
Stellaris has that issue, you can tell a fleet to attack or retreat (if certain requirements are met), but you can't control the ships in battle beyond what components you design into them.

I still enjoy it though.

They won't play very well now but, for their time, both Morrowind and Oblivion was very good. I look forward to ES6.

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but, a LONG time ago there was a little war game where you took turns with someone else and your tank attacked their tank; might have been called tanks. You had to/ could shoot away their cover to get at them. You'd adjust the elevation of your shot for what you hoped would be best affect and then shoot by pressing a key. And your shot would fly through the air, there would be a big explosion and the graphic would change to represent what you'd accomplished; each shot took four EVER. It was designed for a 286. I loaded it up on an early Pentium platform, it was almost unplayable. Setting up the shot was WAY twitchy and the shot and result happened so fast you couldn't see it; pretty hilarious - for about 5 minutes.

The only Computer games I've played were some MUDs and MMRPG's

I don't even remember what the MUDs were called. In the order I played them:

UO: really had the most potential to being an online life, for many reasons but the most prominent was what the players did actually affected the game. Graphics were very primitive but I think some people still play it though I hear its been tamed way down from the wild and woolly days when I played.

EQ: Played it for a very short time; graphics were lame and so was "zoning"

AC: IF you liked playing a mage or a hybrid mage, when it first came out, AC was the best game I've ever played. Then a guy; very bright computer geek (who I actually knew in game, he was on my server), created a utility (split pea) where everybody could know every spell, which was never the intent, actually the opposite. After that the dev's really throttled back what and how players could affect the game; between those two factors and dated graphics the game just died. Again unrealized potential.

WoW; EVERY BODY is exactly like EVERYBODY else that is their class and level, impossible to solo in the later levels which is my thing … mostly, way too tedious to level.

Now I play guitar, not guitar hero; guitar. I'd be much better if I'd have put the time into guitar that I did those games.

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but, a LONG time ago there was a little war game where you took turns with someone else and your tank attacked their tank; might have been called tanks. You had to/ could shoot away their cover to get at them. You'd adjust the elevation of your shot for what you hoped would be best affect and then shoot by pressing a key. And your shot would fly through the air, there would be a big explosion and the graphic would change to represent what you'd accomplished; each shot took four EVER. It was designed for a 286. I loaded it up on an early Pentium platform, it was almost unplayable. Setting up the shot was WAY twitchy and the shot and result happened so fast you couldn't see it; pretty hilarious - for about 5 minutes.

Wasn't there a wind effect you had to compensate for as well? I think I played that game or something very similar.

AC: IF you liked playing a mage or a hybrid mage, when it first came out, AC was the best game I've ever played. Then a guy; very bright computer geek (who I actually knew in game, he was on my server), created a utility (split pea) where everybody could know every spell, which was never the intent, actually the opposite. After that the dev's really throttled back what and how players could affect the game; between those two factors and dated graphics the game just died. Again unrealize potential.

I wasn't able to get into the very 1st generation of these three games but I played AC2 a lot. It was an amazing game and had a really dynamic method of developing your character class. Three main trees of melee, ranged, and magic that you could unlock skills from however you wanted with each of those having two specialties that you could only unlock one of, on top of that, all the skill trees were different for the different races, resulting in there being a ton of options to choose from. I'd love to see a modern remake of the same premise.

Wasn't there a wind effect you had to compensate for as well? I think I played that game or something very similar.

There was more to it than I described but I don't remember the specifics enough to relate them.

I wasn't able to get into the very 1st generation of these three games but I played AC2 a lot. It was an amazing game and had a really dynamic method of developing your character class. Three main trees of melee, ranged, and magic that you could unlock skills from however you wanted with each of those having two specialties that you could only unlock one of, on top of that, all the skill trees were different for the different races, resulting in there being a ton of options to choose from. I'd love to see a modern remake of the same premise.

I played AC2, compared to the original AC it was disappointing. Again I don't really remember the specifics but in AC Character creation was CRITICAL , you only had so many skill points to begin with that had to be applied to different specialties, and if you didn't do it just right you could never be all you could be; depending on what you wanted to be and the could be infinitely varied; though only a few builds actually were popular. And then Learning the spells, that was hard but there was a rime and reason to it that had to do how the components were arranged on the vendor. Once you figured that out, and it was different for every player, it cut your learning time drastically. That's how my buddy created split pea, he figured out the binary they used to make each user different, the same for the components (not what they were called in AC that's a UO term) and boom you learned a few spells and his program filled in the rest. The dev's also put a robe in the first month, that was going to be a monthly thing, it was cool. But then they decided it was too powerful and the subsequent robes were lame. I, not intentionally, made a ton of money on those robes. First month I wasn't very high level but I figured out how to kill this monster, who dropped the robe hide, and would one hit most people my level. Killing it was a hoot to pull off so I ended up with a BUNCH of the hides a certain crafter used to make the cool robe. Turned out they sold on ebay for several hundred dollars later in the game; I cashed in.

Last edited:

Well, NOTHING like that. I ended up with +30 robes and sold them for as much as $400. :(

But here's how I killed the Giant Mattacker at leve 16/20. They spawned on the flats in a cold area of the world. One of the spawns was near a thick forest, this Mattaker was huge, I learned the spawn spots and would move between them, when one would spawn I would shoot it with a spell or an arrow and run like hell to the forest. Monsters would stay agged on who ever attacked it first and only the first attacker could loot the corpse, so that your kill couldn't be stolen. The Mattaker couldn't get into the forest it was so big it couldn't get in between the trees. So as soon as I got in the forest, not a sure thing/I died allot, I could spin around an hit them with everything I could carry, usually, until they died; they had an incredible amount of hit points. But it was a ton of fun, to me, and I was getting a ton of xp for each kill so that's about all I did that month; I leveled 9 or 10 times, maybe more. Nobody knew at the time that these robes were a one shot deal, heck I gave several away to buddies coming to AC from EQ that I'd played with since UO and some friends I'd met in AC.

Last edited:
Well, NOTHING like that. I ended up with +30 robes and sold them for as much as $400. :(

But here's how I killed the Giant Mattacker at leve 16/20. They spawned on the flats in a cold area of the world. One of the spawns was near a thick forest, this Mattaker was huge, I learned the spawn spots and would move between them, when one would spawn I would shoot it with a spell or an arrow and run like hell to the forest. Monsters would stay agged on who ever attacked it first and only the first attacker could loot the corpse, so that your kill couldn't be stolen. The Mattaker couldn't get into the forest it was so big it couldn't get in between the trees. So as soon as I got in the forest, not a sure thing/I died allot, I could spin around an hit them with everything I could carry, usually, until they died; they had an incredible amount of hit points. But it was a ton of fun, to me, and I was getting a ton of xp for each kill so that's about all I did that month; I leveled 9 or 10 times, maybe more. Nobody knew at the time that these robes were a one shot deal, heck I gave several away to buddies coming to AC from EQ that I'd played with since UO and some friends I'd met in AC.

It's always fun to find some way to beat something normally way out of your range, or using huge world bosses to mess with people. WOW was especially amazing at this, until they fixed the various exploits.

Dragon Age: Origins
Dark Souls
Mount and Blade: Warbands
Any of the Elder Scrolls games (played 3-5, I love them bugs and all)
Civilization Series (I played IV and V the most, also have III and VI)
Final Fantasy Series (Played 4, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 13)
Chrono Cross and Chrono Trigger
Legend of Dragoon
KOTOR I & II
Zelda (favorites are Link to the Past, Ocarina, Windwaker, and Breath of the Wild)
Fire Emblem (Really liked Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn, but one of my favorite series)

Probably forgot some. I liked WoW but it's gone downhill, and Bioware has butchered Dragon Age. Age of Empires was good times too. The old Sim City. Tropico and Cities Skylines are bretty gud. I play OSRS now. Oh I like The Witcher and Kingdom Come. Rust is ****ing hilarious.

Edit: Oh Suikoden and The Legend of Heroes are two other JRPGs I really liked.

Games went downhill after Leisure Suit Larry I & II. :cool:

Tetris wasn't bad.

Now I am bored so here goes - (disclaimer - I only included games that I enjoyed enough to invest the time to beat)

Diablo (a friend introduced this game to me on PC, I went home and bought a PC in order to play)
Diablo III (2 was trash)
Battlefront II (current version is the BEST)
Fortnite (I blame my teenager for this current indulgence)
Super Mario Bros (I could beat this thing in the arcade with 1 quarter and lives to spare)
Mortal Combat (Raiden was the best)
Baldur's Gate (Noober is no relation...)

Now I am bored so here goes - (disclaimer - I only included games that I enjoyed enough to invest the time to beat)

Diablo (a friend introduced this game to me on PC, I went home and bought a PC in order to play)
Diablo III (2 was trash)
Battlefront II (current version is the BEST)
Fortnite (I blame my teenager for this current indulgence)
Super Mario Bros (I could beat this thing in the arcade with 1 quarter and lives to spare)
Mortal Combat (Raiden was the best)
Baldur's Gate (Noober is no relation...)

I don't know if this would be new information or not, but Mortal Kombat is still a popular series, resurging after they scrapped 3D gameplay in favor of 2.5D. I personally wasn't a fan of the 3D Mortal Kombat games.

Of all the things I could find to praise about a game that's all about ripping people apart, I like that they've injected a great deal of humor into these recent games. The characters will have a short exchange before each battle, and if you pit Cassie Cage up against either one of her parents, you're in for some silly stuff.

I don't know if this would be new information or not, but Mortal Kombat is still a popular series, resurging after they scrapped 3D gameplay in favor of 2.5D. I personally wasn't a fan of the 3D Mortal Kombat games.

Of all the things I could find to praise about a game that's all about ripping people apart, I like that they've injected a great deal of humor into these recent games. The characters will have a short exchange before each battle, and if you pit Cassie Cage up against either one of her parents, you're in for some silly stuff.

I know they have released a bunch of Kombat game versions over the years including the DC comic book genre styles. You can have Batman go up against Scorpion in Injustice 2 for example.

As for the violence, there is a reason why I kind of jump between Mortal Kombat on Sega and go all the way to Injustice 2 - kids in the house. Until they were old enough to understand the difference between the digital world and the real one; video games, TV, internet access, and violence were all heavily monitored and restricted.

Monopoly
Chutes and Ladders
Operation
Battleship
Life
Candy land
Rock ‘em Sock ‘em Robots

Monopoly
Chutes and Ladders
Operation
Battleship
Life
Candy land
Rock ‘em Sock ‘em Robots

Hungry Hippos
Risk
Axis and Allies

Outward.

Just alone to learn for a couple days. At winter, Day 15, I'm wearing master trader gear except head (and might need fur there).

Any criticism or tips welcome.

In no order:

Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale
TES: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Mass Effect, the entire Trilogy
Dragon's Age, the entire Triology
Civilization games, through Civilization IV
Deus Ex
The Witcher, first two games
yeah, I can get behind this list for sure. Not sure why you don't add Witcher 3 or especially Civ 5, the best of the series (well maybe not Civ2, that one is the best, 3 and 4 not so much I thought), i thought it much fun.

Also Assassin's Creed Origins and odyssey
Dragon Age Inquisition
Neverwinter Nights 1&2
Dragon's Dogma
The Outer Worlds

Oh, don't forget WORMS ARMAGEDDON!

They won't play very well now but, for their time, both Morrowind and Oblivion was very good. I look forward to ES6.

Properly modded, Oblivion still plays well. As does Skyrim of course. Mostly it's about expanded content - new NPCs, towns, locations and quests to flesh the world out. There's also a project in the works to resurrect both Morrowind and Oblivion in teh Skyrim engine, but it's a ways off completion. That will be a decent improvement to Oblivion; for Morrowind fans it'll be the Vvaardenfell you always dreamed of.

Back
Top Bottom