• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Generic Top Ten Games Thread - Because I'm Bored.

DH Kirkwood

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
I'm sorry if this has been done to death, but name your top ten favorite games. If you can't name ten, then that's okay.

This is in no particular order, and right of the top of my head.

The Last of Us.
Silent Hill
Valkyria Chronicles
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Portal 2
Persona 5
Deus Ex
TES: Oblivion
Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon

I've only played a handful of games.

Company of Heroes
Civilization IV
Xcom (2 wotc)

I've only played a handful of games.

Company of Heroes
Civilization IV
Xcom (2 wotc)

I'm vaguely familiar with the latter two, haven't heard of the first one, but I mostly play on a console. I hear that Xcom is pretty difficult.

I'm vaguely familiar with the latter two, haven't heard of the first one, but I mostly play on a console. I hear that Xcom is pretty difficult.

CoH is an RTS. Civ a TBS. Xcom has squad level TBS missions and base development like Civ (researching tech for better rifles and such).

My favorites look like this (although I haven't played some of these games in years, so I can't really say how well they hold up):

Note: I put the 11-30/honorable mention in the spoiler thing.

1. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
2. Super Mario World
3. Super Mario All-Stars [Super Mario Bros. 3 is strong enough to make it this high on the list, but I'll just cover it with this entry]
4. Minecraft
5. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble!
6. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
7. Donkey Kong Country
8. Star Wars: Battlefront [2004]
9. Civilization V
10. Kirby Super Star
11. Star Wars: Battlefront II [2005]
12. Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
13. RollerCoaster Tycoon 2 [including OpenRCT2]
14. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault
15. Halo 3 [mainly for Forge mode...I don't think I've ever played the single player campaign]
16. Rise of Nations
17. Super Smash Bros. Melee
18. Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards
19. Mario Party series
20. Donkey Kong 64
21. Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
22. Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
23. Lego Star Wars: The Video Game
24. Kirby's Adventure [also known as "Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land"]
25. Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
26. Super Star Wars series
27. Indiana Jones' Greatest Adventures
28. Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings [including the HD version]
29. Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III - Rebel Strike
30. Star Wars: Episode I - Racer
Honorable Mention: Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City

Whew. That was a lot more than I thought I was going to add originally.

Hey, I totally remember that game. My dad used to own it (well, we still have it, but I don't think it works on any modern computers). It was pretty fun, from what I recall.

I played it on an XP laptop. The battles were at warp speed. Often you were defeated before you could shift forces.

I played it on an XP laptop. The battles were at warp speed. Often you were defeated before you could shift forces.

I still have an XP lying around, maybe I should boot it up sometime and see how well it plays (if I still have a copy of it).

All time or relatively current games? From your selections, I'm going to go with all time.

Traditional Mario games (anything from NES to current that uses original mechanics)
Final Fantasy 7 (and first sequel)
Zelda (original)
New spider man game (minus Miles Morales)
Mechwarrior (and about half of the sequels)
Grand Theft Auto series
MUDs (if you don't know/remember, you won't understand)
Most of the Resident Evil series
Resistance I and II

... that's what I have on the top of my head

Doom
Doom II
Civilization I,II,III
Lords of the Realm II
Half Life I and II
Red Orchestra/Darkest Hour
Shogun Total War series except Rome II

Have you heard of the 2016 Doom soft reboot? It basically takes the gameplay back to it's roots. There's no reloading, and stopping for a second will probably get you killed. The single/double-shot super-shot-gun is easily the best weapon in the game, and glory kills are an obvious throw-back to the 'Brutal Doom' WAD.

While I don't think the music quite succeeds in capturing the icononic nature of the original, it's still freaking amazing, and easily one of the best game sound-traicks of that year. The music is programmed to change with whatever is happening on screen, whether you're just creeping though gloomily-lit halls, or blistering through a blazingly chaotic battle against an entire horrid of varied hell-spawned nightmares.

All time or relatively current games? From your selections, I'm going to go with all time.

Traditional Mario games (anything from NES to current that uses original mechanics)
Zelda (original)
Grand Theft Auto series
Resistance I and II

Mechwarrior was actually a big part of my childhood, having been around ten when MechWarrior2 came out. I loved the Mercenaries expansion-pack, and all the customization features it brought.

Final Fantasy VII wasn't to my liking at first. I was in my late teens, more into things that satisfied my parameters for what is 'cool', which often involved blood, guts, and tactical espionage action. I played it about the time I was begining to adore Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, and the Resident Evil series. The game was a few years old then, and had the misfortune of having been made in 3d-gaming's short, 'ugly-duckiling era', where developers knew less of what they were doing on hardware that could barely sustain what they were doing.

So visually speaking, it has not aged well. I rented it once, was metwith turn-based gameplay that I was completely unfamiliar with, random ecounters, and no knowledge of how to play the game that I was playing. I fell head-first into Final Fantasy VIII, though. It was that game that allowed me to go back and look at FFVII with new eyes. I still remember watching my twin beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon before going to work.

I'm sorry if this has been done to death, but name your top ten favorite games. If you can't name ten, then that's okay.

This is in no particular order, and right of the top of my head.

The Last of Us.
Silent Hill
Valkyria Chronicles
Final Fantasy IX
Metal Gear Solid
Portal 2
Persona 5
Deus Ex
TES: Oblivion
Spyro 3: Year of the Dragon

Entire Elder Scrolls series (I've played all of them on release, with Arena coming out when I was in high school)
Total War: Warhammer series (hands down favorite strategy game)
Diablo series (but there are a few hack and slash contenders [e.g. the free to play Path of Exile] and D3 is admittedly not as good)
Warcraft and StarCraft RTS series
World of Warcraft (I haven't played in years but when I did there was a lot of hours and fun)
Baldur's Gate series (Including Icewind Dale [ported in pretty well for phones] and all the rest)
Civilization series (played that since the first one as well)
Spore (just had so much fun designing creatures and evolving them)
Dragon Warrior (old school original Nintendo game that has a port for phones [called dragon quest])
Minecraft

Sorry I was wordy.

Doom
Doom II
Civilization I,II,III
Lords of the Realm II
Half Life I and II
Red Orchestra/Darkest Hour
Shogun Total War series except Rome II

You should try Total War: Warhammer 2 (1 is also good). I've played back since Shogun and the Warhammer series beats all the others, hands down. The fantasy aspect really opens up different play style choices and unit choices. It's great.

Zelda (original)
Grand Theft Auto series
Resistance I and II

Oh man...I forgot I played the **** outta MechWarrior Mercenaries back in the day. So good.

Have you heard of the 2016 Doom soft reboot? It basically takes the gameplay back to it's roots. There's no reloading, and stopping for a second will probably get you killed. The single/double-shot super-shot-gun is easily the best weapon in the game, and glory kills are an obvious throw-back to the 'Brutal Doom' WAD.

While I don't think the music quite succeeds in capturing the icononic nature of the original, it's still freaking amazing, and easily one of the best game sound-traicks of that year. The music is programmed to change with whatever is happening on screen, whether you're just creeping though gloomily-lit halls, or blistering through a blazingly chaotic battle against an entire horrid of varied hell-spawned nightmares.

I'll have to try it.

In no order:

Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale
TES: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim
Mass Effect, the entire Trilogy
Dragon's Age, the entire Triology
Civilization games, through Civilization IV
Deus Ex
The Witcher, first two games

There have been many, many more over the years, but these were my favorites.

Entire Elder Scrolls series (I've played all of them on release, with Arena coming out when I was in high school)
Total War: Warhammer series (hands down favorite strategy game)
Diablo series (but there are a few hack and slash contenders [e.g. the free to play Path of Exile] and D3 is admittedly not as good)
Warcraft and StarCraft RTS series
World of Warcraft (I haven't played in years but when I did there was a lot of hours and fun)
Baldur's Gate series (Including Icewind Dale [ported in pretty well for phones] and all the rest)
Civilization series (played that since the first one as well)
Spore (just had so much fun designing creatures and evolving them)
Dragon Warrior (old school original Nintendo game that has a port for phones [called dragon quest])
Minecraft

Sorry I was wordy.

I was a kid when Arena came out, but that's where I started in the series, as well. Daggerfall is what I could expect my father and older step-brother to be playing in the basement when I was over at my father's place on holidays and in the summer. I have yet to play Morrowind, and I didn't play Oblivion until it was already several years old.

Mechwarrior was actually a big part of my childhood, having been around ten when MechWarrior2 came out. I loved the Mercenaries expansion-pack, and all the customization features it brought.

Final Fantasy VII wasn't to my liking at first. I was in my late teens, more into things that satisfied my parameters for what is 'cool', which often involved blood, guts, and tactical espionage action. I played it about the time I was begining to adore Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, and the Resident Evil series. The game was a few years old then, and had the misfortune of having been made in 3d-gaming's short, 'ugly-duckiling era', where developers knew less of what they were doing on hardware that could barely sustain what they were doing.

So visually speaking, it has not aged well. I rented it once, was metwith turn-based gameplay that I was completely unfamiliar with, random ecounters, and no knowledge of how to play the game that I was playing. I fell head-first into Final Fantasy VIII, though. It was that game that allowed me to go back and look at FFVII with new eyes. I still remember watching my twin beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon before going to work.

Sounds like we had fairly similar tastes. I had an older sister who made me play FFVII until I enjoyed it, so my order of enjoyment was a bit different, but every game you mentioned took hours of my life and I don't even want them back.

And yes, FFVII was ugly as all hell. A lot of us who played it early actually remembered it much prettier than it was. Crisis core on PSP a few years back was fun and pretty so I played a couple hours of VII afterward. It was jarring to remember it pretty and see how it actually looked after playing something made in the last 10 years.

no ranking order, just the first ten that came to mind.

Asteroids
Street Rod (I and II)
Ween : The Prophecy
Shadowgate
Doom
Legend of Zelda
Megaman II
GTA III
Space Quest (all of them)
Need For Speed I

I was a kid when Arena came out, but that's where I started in the series, as well. Daggerfall is what I could expect my father and older step-brother to be playing in the basement when I was over at my father's place on holidays and in the summer. I have yet to play Morrowind, and I didn't play Oblivion until it was already several years old.

They won't play very well now but, for their time, both Morrowind and Oblivion was very good. I look forward to ES6.

Resident Evil Biohazard
The Elder Scroll V: Skyrim
The Last of Us
COD 4: Modern Warfare
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

I still play the original Company of Heroes with a friend online.

Love Far Cry 2: under-realized but still the best of the series. What a setting!

Still fire up the original Shogun: Total war. love the setting and not sure my laptop will run Shogun II. Also don't like all the coloured selection boxes, which is why I wouldn't bother with COH2 - that and it doesn't seem to have much more to it than the original.

Would love to revisit Rogue Spear - tactical shooters are just silly these days.

Morrowind; modded a little

Oblivion, modded up;

Skyrim, also modded up

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl: another diamond in the rough. Modded updates are a treat.

GTA III was a revolution; Vice city and San Andreas great updates.

Loved the original Delta Force by Novalogic back in its day.

Ghost Recon; plus Desert Siege and Island thunder

Baldur's Gate

Warcraft II

I hear that Xcom is pretty difficult.

It's difficult in the sense of number of hours playtime required to get good enough to play at the higher difficulties. I'm on difficulty 3 of 4 and, looking at how much I need to learn and improve, I doubt I'll play enough to ever succeed at level 4 (which is a huge increase in difficulty, much more than other steps up).

I hear that Xcom is pretty difficult.

I don't mean to bug ya but an update. Level 3 is too grindy and I gotta reload mistakes, level 2 is too easy even with no reloads, and I'll never put in enough playtime to learn the game deeply enough to play on level 4.

I suppose practice on 3 would make it less grindy and reloady. I bought the game thinking it was coop (to play with a friend), so I think we'll look for one of those.

Back
Top Bottom