• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Generator Safety

sub1028

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
I am hoping everyone is warm and being safe! I know winters are hard and at times poor families use a generator, keep it outside be safe

Add up the power requirements of the appliances and devices you will want to use. (Check the back and sides for a label with this info.)

Add up the wattage of all the light bulbs you will want to use.

Find the total amps you need by dividing watts by volts.

Choose a generator that produces more amps than you need – because some machines draw up to 3 times as much power when starting up, and others lose efficiency over time. The best option is a permanently-installed stationary generator.

really good reading!! be safe and love me lol

I am hoping everyone is warm and being safe! I know winters are hard and at times poor families use a generator, keep it outside be safe

Add up the power requirements of the appliances and devices you will want to use. (Check the back and sides for a label with this info.)

Add up the wattage of all the light bulbs you will want to use.

Find the total amps you need by dividing watts by volts.

Choose a generator that produces more amps than you need – because some machines draw up to 3 times as much power when starting up, and others lose efficiency over time. The best option is a permanently-installed stationary generator.

really good reading!! be safe and love me lol

And don't forget to account for their carbon monoxide.

And don't forget to account for their carbon monoxide.

I had a portable generator outside my garage during Superstorm Sandy, when the area had a 7-day power outage. The wind changed direction & the exhaust started blowing into my garage & the rest of the house. My carbon monoxide detector started going off & in a few minutes I called 911. The Flemington FD responded with a couple of fire trucks. They confirmed that the gas was in my house. They offered to take me to the ER but a long walk let the gas clear from my system. A deadly menace, not to be neglected.

I had a portable generator outside my garage during Superstorm Sandy, when the area had a 7-day power outage. The wind changed direction & the exhaust started blowing into my garage & the rest of the house. My carbon monoxide detector started going off & in a few minutes I called 911. The Flemington FD responded with a couple of fire trucks. They confirmed that the gas was in my house. They offered to take me to the ER but a long walk let the gas clear from my system. A deadly menace, not to be neglected.
The headache that accompanies carbon monoxide inhalation is the worst I ever experienced……

Back
Top Bottom