• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

General Patton Hated Peace

I did not know this. He even wrote a poem about his hatred, in which I can understand one's deep hate of the enemy but toward civilians too??

Patton, then 32, wrote a poem titled "Peace -- Nov. 11, 1918" in which he expressed contempt for civilians cheering the silencing of the guns that would deprive him and other warriors of "the whitehot joy of taking human life."

"I stood in the flag decked cheering crowd

Waere [sic] all but I were gay

And gazing on their extecy [sic]

My heart shrank in dismay."

The library's notes say "an editor, possibly Patton's wife Beatrice, has crossed out those lines that express especially strong sentiments like comparing peaceful life to 'a festering sewer' " in the draft of the poem on exhibit.

The reference is to the following lines:

"Looking forward I could see

Life like a festering sewer

Full of the fecal Pacafists [sic]

Which peace makes us endure"

There is a rarer breed of man for whom peace truly is anathema, and who live to fight rather than fight to live. Patton was one such man. Thankfully he was on our side.

There is a rarer breed of man for whom peace truly is anathema, and who live to fight rather than fight to live. Patton was one such man. Thankfully he was on our side.

Excellent clip. George C Scott was a marvelous talent. I remember the fracas he started when he refused the best actor award in 1971. I read about it later as we didn’t have the access to information that we “enjoy” today. If Scott had tried to mimic the actual voice, it would have been a letdown.

He was very good in “The Flim Flam Man.”

More comedic.

Excellent clip. George C Scott was a marvelous talent. I remember the fracas he started when he refused the best actor award in 1971. I read about it later as we didn’t have the access to information that we “enjoy” today. If Scott had tried to mimic the actual voice, it would have been a letdown.

He was very good in “The Flim Flam Man.”

More comedic.

Fantastic movie.

“Our blood, his guts!”
Let's set that cheap cliche' where it belongs, ie, corrected and set in its proper application.

In April 1941 Patton was advanced from acting to permanent commander of 2d Armored Division and promoted to major general (2-stars). He declared that his most important priority was training men to be Soldiers in war. He ordered up construction of an of a large amphitheater in the wooded hills of Fort Benning GA that could accommodate the entire division. The troops gave it its nick that stuck, “The Patton Bowl.” Biographers attest his famous "blood and guts" speeches began there.

As one then second lieutenant recalled later:

"I am positive the Patton image was born on the first day he spoke in that bowl. Following an old cavalry credo to the effect you should always “Hit ’em where they ain’t,” he said to us: “You have to grab ’em by the [censored] and kick ’em in the [censored].” At the end of the speech he said, “I am taking this division into Berlin and when I do, I want every one of you to be carrying the stench of German blood and guts.”

As we see here and know anyway no one much less a rambunctious tank division commander is hailed unanimously, particularly in an armed force that is drawn from a democratic society. Yet the tiresome cliche' "Our blood, his guts" mangles ignorantly and misrepresents Patton's charge to the 2 AD that said "German blood and guts." Indeed, Patton's later and famous Speech to the Third Army is in the books as a classic. (It's a series of speeches to 3d Army actually.)

The Geo. C. Scott speech to the 3d Army at the beginning of the movie set with a huge USA flag was so laundered and scrubbed that the real 3d Army would have thought they had a scoutmaster instead of a 3-star foul mouth commanding 'em. Author of The Unknown Patton, Charles M. Province wrote: "He could, when necessary, open up with both barrels and let forth such blue-flamed phrases that they seemed almost eloquent in their delivery. When asked by his nephew about his profanity, Patton remarked, "When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight it's way out of a piss-soaked paper bag."

Eloquence, not cliches plse thx and rather than banal and glib tripe.

Let's set that cheap cliche' where it belongs, ie, corrected and set in its proper application.

In April 1941 Patton was advanced from acting to permanent commander of 2d Armored Division and promoted to major general (2-stars). He declared that his most important priority was training men to be Soldiers in war. He ordered up construction of an of a large amphitheater in the wooded hills of Fort Benning GA that could accommodate the entire division. The troops gave it its nick that stuck, “The Patton Bowl.” Biographers attest his famous "blood and guts" speeches began there.

As one then second lieutenant recalled later:

"I am positive the Patton image was born on the first day he spoke in that bowl. Following an old cavalry credo to the effect you should always “Hit ’em where they ain’t,” he said to us: “You have to grab ’em by the [censored] and kick ’em in the [censored].” At the end of the speech he said, “I am taking this division into Berlin and when I do, I want every one of you to be carrying the stench of German blood and guts.”

As we see here and know anyway no one much less a rambunctious tank division commander is hailed unanimously, particularly in an armed force that is drawn from a democratic society. Yet the tiresome cliche' "Our blood, his guts" mangles ignorantly and misrepresents Patton's charge to the 2 AD that said "German blood and guts." Indeed, Patton's later and famous Speech to the Third Army is in the books as a classic. (It's a series of speeches to 3d Army actually.)

The Geo. C. Scott speech to the 3d Army at the beginning of the movie set with a huge USA flag was so laundered and scrubbed that the real 3d Army would have thought they had a scoutmaster instead of a 3-star foul mouth commanding 'em. Author of The Unknown Patton, Charles M. Province wrote: "He could, when necessary, open up with both barrels and let forth such blue-flamed phrases that they seemed almost eloquent in their delivery. When asked by his nephew about his profanity, Patton remarked, "When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight it's way out of a piss-soaked paper bag."

Eloquence, not cliches plse thx and rather than banal and glib tripe.
“A second lieutenant recalled”

HAHAHA, post something that isn’t copy & paste drivel……..

“A second lieutenant recalled”

HAHAHA, post something that isn’t copy & paste drivel……..
Just remember now and always to say, "German Blood & Guts" because it's Patton's original statement and he said it numerous times.

The book title is Our Blood and His Guts!: Memoirs of One of General Patton's Combat Soldiers. So as I'd said in scrolling above, no general is universally popular or has an absolute cheering section. This is true when the armed forces derive from a democratic society -- especially so.

In which case disagreement is expected and accepted. They are the underwhelming minority of Pattons command, the 3d Army (Group) and its force strength of 9,638 officers and 221,070 enlisted. Third Army consisted of III Corps, IV Corps, VII corps or more than 10 divisions. In the Army Roman Numeral corps are commanded only by the most stellar maj.gen. and Patton commanded a three corps Army Group, the 3d of course.

Under Patton's command 3d Army inflicted a combined total of enemy losses of 1,443,888 enemy killed, wounded, or captured. Under Patton's command the Third Army (Group) moved farther, faster and with more lethality than any US Army, ever.

Still, it was well known that the Pentagon sent Patton many of the best trainees and combat veterans. Patton himself acknowledged this in his famous and classic Speech to the 3d Army: "Like everything else in this Army, drilling has a definite purpose. That purpose is alertness. Alertness must be bred into every soldier. You men are veterans or you wouldn't be here. You are ready for what's to come. A man must be alert at all times if he expects to stay alive. If you're not alert, sometime, a German son-of-an-asshole-bitch is going to sneak up behind you and beat you to death with a sockful of shit!" The men roared in agreement.

5bde2c5393a2b57ba1bf667953b3a260--old-blood-hell-on-wheels.jpg

Also, there's no summary of the Goodread book at your link.

I would have had to register and sign in to read anything about the book which of course I ignored doing.

I clicked on the first reader buyer reviewer and there was no review there either. It did state however which books the buyer of books at Goodread, whose name I clicked on, was currently reading (May 2022). Absolute Swamp Thing was one; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was another. So I came directly back to here...

To remind you yet again of WHAT PATTON HIMSELF SAID: "We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have; or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we're going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun ********ers by the bushel-****ing-basket. I am taking this army into Berlin and when I do, I want every one of you to be carrying the stench of German blood and guts.”

If you don't get that, then you don't get that. Yet "Our Blood, His Guts" is a sad hill to die on because it is completely misused by the illiterate.

The book title is Our Blood and His Guts!: Memoirs of One of General Patton's Combat Soldiers. So as I'd said in scrolling above, no general is universally popular or has an absolute cheering section. This is true when the armed forces derive from a democratic society -- especially so.

In which case disagreement is expected and accepted. They are the underwhelming minority of Pattons command, the 3d Army (Group) and its force strength of 9,638 officers and 221,070 enlisted. Third Army consisted of III Corps, IV Corps, VII corps or more than 10 divisions. In the Army Roman Numeral corps are commanded only by the most stellar maj.gen. and Patton commanded a three corps Army Group, the 3d of course.

Under Patton's command 3d Army inflicted a combined total of enemy losses of 1,443,888 enemy killed, wounded, or captured. Under Patton's command the Third Army (Group) moved farther, faster and with more lethality than any US Army, ever.

Still, it was well known that the Pentagon sent Patton many of the best trainees and combat veterans. Patton himself acknowledged this in his famous and classic Speech to the 3d Army: "Like everything else in this Army, drilling has a definite purpose. That purpose is alertness. Alertness must be bred into every soldier. You men are veterans or you wouldn't be here. You are ready for what's to come. A man must be alert at all times if he expects to stay alive. If you're not alert, sometime, a German son-of-an-asshole-bitch is going to sneak up behind you and beat you to death with a sockful of shit!" The men roared in agreement.

I would have had to register and sign in to read anything about the book which of course I ignored doing.

I clicked on the first reader buyer reviewer and there was no review there either. It did state however which books the buyer of books at Goodread, whose name I clicked on, was currently reading (May 2022). Absolute Swamp Thing was one; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was another. So I came directly back to here...

To remind you yet again of WHAT PATTON HIMSELF SAID: "We'll win this war, but we'll win it only by fighting and by showing the Germans that we've got more guts than they have; or ever will have. We're not going to just shoot the sons-of-bitches, we're going to rip out their living Goddamned guts and use them to grease the treads of our tanks. We're going to murder those lousy Hun ********ers by the bushel-****ing-basket. I am taking this army into Berlin and when I do, I want every one of you to be carrying the stench of German blood and guts.”

If you don't get that, then you don't get that. Yet "Our Blood, His Guts" is a sad hill to die on because it is completely misused by the illiterate.

What was his nickname again?

Imodium for the soul:

I did not know this. He even wrote a poem about his hatred, in which I can understand one's deep hate of the enemy but toward civilians too??

Patton, then 32, wrote a poem titled "Peace -- Nov. 11, 1918" in which he expressed contempt for civilians cheering the silencing of the guns that would deprive him and other warriors of "the whitehot joy of taking human life."

"I stood in the flag decked cheering crowd

Waere [sic] all but I were gay

And gazing on their extecy [sic]

My heart shrank in dismay."

The library's notes say "an editor, possibly Patton's wife Beatrice, has crossed out those lines that express especially strong sentiments like comparing peaceful life to 'a festering sewer' " in the draft of the poem on exhibit.

The reference is to the following lines:

"Looking forward I could see

Life like a festering sewer

Full of the fecal Pacafists [sic]

Which peace makes us endure"
...and?

I see the Imodium has done it’s work!

From explosive verbal discharge to a mere laconic response in one dose!

”Better living through chemistry”

Patton feared peace not war.

He fought the enemy by the laws and ethics of war.

As a strong leader he told the 3d Army he commanded to have the "stench of German blood and guts" about them.

He said what the troops call "chicken shit drilling" has a keen purpose as does everything in the Army, ie, to be alert. Patton emphasized that a Soldier must be alert to stay alive.

At 6:00 of the video the parading American troops suddenly break out in a double time -- their commanders just got the word. The Germans have initiated a counterattack at the north of Paris. The 28th Infantry Division breaks its parade to hustle off to repel the desperate Nazi force. The division knew already that from the somber strictly business parade they would march directly to the battlefront.

PARADE OF US TROOPS | PARIS FRANCE | 29 August 1944 | 28th INFANTRY DIVISION​

Reviewing Officer at Flags Gen. Omar Bradley | Allied Force Field Commander Europe​

& French Gen. Jacques Leclerc | USA Flags & French Tricoulor | Sound (a rarity)​

U.S. 28th Pennsylvania Infantry Division marches along the Champs D' Elysees in Paris France during World War II. General Bradley exits his car and shakes hands with French General Jacques Leclerc. Group with General Bradley at the flags is talking. US tanks pass thru Arc de Triomphe and along boulevard. Yanks spread the width of the boulevard marching. March with Arc de Triomphe in background. Two U.S. flags and one French flag (ha).

These Pennsylvania Boys march brilliantly in unison for grunts fighting a war in Europe and zero time for drill & ceremony! Indeed, skills and alertness pay off in every respect. After fighting in the Battle of the Bulge the 28th crossed the Rhein on 9 February 1945.

Patton feared peace not war.

He fought the enemy by the laws and ethics of war.

As a strong leader he told the 3d Army he commanded to have the "stench of German blood and guts" about them.

He said what the troops call "chicken shit drilling" has a keen purpose as does everything in the Army, ie, to be alert. Patton emphasized that a Soldier must be alert to stay alive.

At 6:00 of the video the parading American troops suddenly break out in a double time -- their commanders just got the word. The Germans have initiated a counterattack at the north of Paris. The 28th Infantry Division breaks its parade to hustle off to repel the desperate Nazi force. The division knew already that from the somber strictly business parade they would march directly to the battlefront.

PARADE OF US TROOPS | PARIS FRANCE | 29 August 1944 | 28th INFANTRY DIVISION

Reviewing Officer at Flags Gen. Omar Bradley | Allied Force Field Commander Europe

& French Gen. Jacques Leclerc | USA Flags & French Tricoulor | Sound (a rarity)

U.S. 28th Pennsylvania Infantry Division marches along the Champs D' Elysees in Paris France during World War II. General Bradley exits his car and shakes hands with French General Jacques Leclerc. Group with General Bradley at the flags is talking. US tanks pass thru Arc de Triomphe and along boulevard. Yanks spread the width of the boulevard marching. March with Arc de Triomphe in background. Two U.S. flags and one French flag (ha).

These Pennsylvania Boys march brilliantly in unison for grunts fighting a war in Europe and zero time for drill & ceremony! Indeed, skills and alertness pay off in every respect. After fighting in the Battle of the Bulge the 28th crossed the Rhein on 9 February 1945.

Rote regurgitation of talking points.

That and the cadet like focus on marching rather than the real act of war. Marching =/= Fighting.

In anyone might have a natural curiosity about what Patton really thought about the Russians, not to mention the Chinese, the link is below but only for the most daring of spirits....cause you gotta think Litwin first. Yet this guy could make my friend Litwin look restrained ha. I mean, this is bad enough without the writer hollering his brains out about the Russkies having "assassinated" Patton.

Statement by Patton on 8 August 1945, as quoted in “General Patton : A Soldier’s Life” (2002) by Stanley P. Hirshson, p. 650

"Also, as I posted earlier, he wanted to take Moscow in 1945 and free the rest of Europe.

“I understand the situation. Their (the Soviet) supply system is inadequate to maintain them in a serious action such as I could put to them. They have chickens in the coop and cattle on the hoof — that’s their supply system. They could probably maintain themselves in the type of fighting I could give them for five days. After that it would make no difference how many million men they have, and if you wanted Moscow I could give it to you. They lived on the land coming down. There is insufficient left for them to maintain themselves going back. Let’s not give them time to build up their supplies. If we do, then . . . we have had a victory over the Germans and disarmed them, but we have failed in the liberation of Europe; we have lost the war!”

Still and for we who might be less initiated in Ukraine-Russia relations and history, the source I've used, Roman(was)inukraine, has a lot of informative facts and details about Ukraine and Russia that encompass much more than only Patton and Russia.

Boring.

Which is why one hasn't ever been made.

Nor will it.

Ike constantly reminded other generals to include Patton, Bradley, "Hap" Arnold CG of Army Army Air Corps and so many others that if it hadn't been for Marshal they'd all still be colonels. Their general officer ranks were temporary until after they won the sucker. Because and in accordance with military SOP those who became four stars in rank were 2-stars in grade. Same for the 3-stars, ie, while those who had 3-star rank were 2- stars in grade. That's been military SOP for a long time to include into the present.

Anyway one can safely say if Ike and his subordinate generals hadn't won the sucker they'd have come out of it as second lieutenants again. Marshal would have done that in an instant. Which is a reason Ike kept reminding 'em of it.

Adm. King the wartime CNO of Navy did the same with Admirals Nimitz, Halsey, Fletcher, Spruance and so on. Had they lost their war in the Pacific East Asia they would have ended up commanding rowboats in San Francisco Bay.

There are at least two movies I am aware of about Eisenhower, one of which I’ve seen.

Yet another example of Tangmo speaking without knowing anything about what he’s talking about.

Marines indoctrinate about what they call "persistence," which has its virtues of course.

Yet and In this case, since 2014. It's sort of like Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. Unwinnable wars, fought at great personal cost.

So it's inevitable then that some certain Marines do charge head down and straight into those and other Ahab waters. Denying and denying and denying their failures. Never letting go. So what they call "persistence" has its definite down side too. Readjustment assistance becomes imperative. But of course, it is self denied.

Marines indoctrinate about what they call "persistence," which has its virtues of course.

Yet and In this case, since 2014. It's sort of like Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan. Unwinnable wars, fought at great personal cost.

So it's inevitable then that some certain Marines do charge head down and straight into those and other Ahab waters. Denying and denying and denying their failures. Never letting go. So what they call "persistence" has its definite down side too. Readjustment assistance becomes imperative. But of course, it is self denied.

More Tangmobabble.

Poor Cadet wannabe.

Ahab rages.

As always since 2014.

When then he was convinced I was a teenage kid in his mother's basement in Hong Kong suddenly posting childish nonsense to DP. Worse yet certain DP members in high places accepted that ridiculous absurdity. They continue in it to the present -- and future.

I'm presently in my 78th year. The guy's a moron idiot who spent his nco career as a high school grad in the "persistent" Marine Corps bossing PFCs which convinced him he is King Shit for life. And that all the rest of us out here are PFCs.

Last edited:
Ahab rages.

As always since 2014.

When then he was convinced I was a teenage kid in his mother's basement in Hong Kong suddenly posting childish nonsense to DP. Worse yet certain DP members in high places accepted that ridiculous absurdity. They continue in it to the present -- and future.

I'm presently in my 78th year. The guy's a moron idiot who spent his nco career as a high school grad in the "persistent" Marine Corps bossing PFCs which convinced him he is King Shit for life. And that all the rest of us out here are PFCs.

Another wannabe rant.

Fledermaus, GYSGT USMC Ret.

Back
Top Bottom