• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GeForce RTX 3080

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
So, did anyone shell out $1200 bucks for a 2060 or 2080 card recently? If so you got hosed. I know someone who did, and he is pissed (but I tried to warn him)

The 3080 will cost nearly half of what a 2080 costs, and will be twice as fast!

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080: release date, price, news and features | TechRadar

Nvidia Ampere - RTX 3090, RTX 3080, and RTX 3070 release date, specs, performance, and pricing | PC Gamer

I have a 1060, very glad that I didn't upgrade, so 700 bucks for something that blows everything else out of the water is a slam dunk. They have a cheaper 3070, and an insane 3090 coming out as well.

I just upgraded my power supply today to handle this monster. Can't wait!

They're up to 24 gb on cards now? Damn . . .

I think there is still going to be 2 big issues, availability and mark-ups, just as there has been with all new vid cards. Its great that they have, apparently, taken another big step in processing power, I hope it trickles down to the mid-tier products soon-ish.

Any word if this new hardware has the ability to deal with portrait-landscape-portrait "surround" monitor setups ?

So, did anyone shell out $1200 bucks for a 2060 or 2080 card recently? If so you got hosed. I know someone who did, and he is pissed (but I tried to warn him)

Nvidia Ampere - RTX 3090, RTX 3080, and RTX 3070 release date, specs, performance, and pricing | PC Gamer

I have a 1060, very glad that I didn't upgrade, so 700 bucks for something that blows everything else out of the water is a slam dunk. They have a cheaper 3070, and an insane 3090 coming out as well.

While the 3080 will be a beast, I would temper my enthusiasm of performance based on the sales pitch.

I mean, for those of us who have been gear heads for longer than most gamers have been alive, I got a good laugh at the silliness of nVidia starting their reveal video discussing the great performance in eSports games. I mean, anyone with the experience and knowledge to adequately examine the nVidia numbers would also know that eSports already are very thin in hardware requirements, and there isn't a single eSports player that will give up a single FPS for shinnies like ray-tracing.

I mean, eSports people are already OCD with FPS and see excess shinnies as more of a distraction. Why would an eSports person enable ray-tracing, for example, when the added visual appeal could just as easily distract from the visual stimulus that matters?

Anyway, I'm guessing the 3080 will be roughly 20-30% above the 2080ti, and the price point is incredible even if it were an even trade, so it's all good as far as I am concerned. It's a MUCH larger step up than the 1000 series was to the 2000 series. I still run a 1080 on my main system because the payoff jumping to the 2080 wasn't there, and the 2070 was, arguably, a lesser card than the 1080 in some aspects.

I think I will be going with a 3070 if it pans out to be a 2080ti competitor because the price point is right and it'll be years before games make good use of the 3080s power.

While the 3080 will be a beast, I would temper my enthusiasm of performance based on the sales pitch.

I mean, for those of us who have been gear heads for longer than most gamers have been alive, I got a good laugh at the silliness of nVidia starting their reveal video discussing the great performance in eSports games. I mean, anyone with the experience and knowledge to adequately examine the nVidia numbers would also know that eSports already are very thin in hardware requirements, and there isn't a single eSports player that will give up a single FPS for shinnies like ray-tracing.

I mean, eSports people are already OCD with FPS and see excess shinnies as more of a distraction. Why would an eSports person enable ray-tracing, for example, when the added visual appeal could just as easily distract from the visual stimulus that matters?

Anyway, I'm guessing the 3080 will be roughly 20-30% above the 2080ti, and the price point is incredible even if it were an even trade, so it's all good as far as I am concerned. It's a MUCH larger step up than the 1000 series was to the 2000 series. I still run a 1080 on my main system because the payoff jumping to the 2080 wasn't there, and the 2070 was, arguably, a lesser card than the 1080 in some aspects.

I think I will be going with a 3070 if it pans out to be a 2080ti competitor because the price point is right and it'll be years before games make good use of the 3080s power.

I want FPS for Flight sim, and I want the ray tracing capabilities.

I want FPS for Flight sim, and I want the ray tracing capabilities.

You'll get it, for sure. This is more of an economic event than a technological event, I think. $/fps dropped precipitously. We can all rejoice.

You'll get it, for sure. This is more of an economic event than a technological event, I think. $/fps dropped precipitously. We can all rejoice.

Its because of serious competition. I am glad I waited a generation....

An RTX-2070 can be had for $399

I'm hoping the 3000 series pushes those down at least $100. The RTX-3080, though a beast of a card, is still MSRP at $699, which means $800 plus on the street.

But I agree that had I bought an RTX-2080TI I would be pissed.

An RTX-2070 can be had for $399

I'm hoping the 3000 series pushes those down at least $100. The RTX-3080, though a beast of a card, is still MSRP at $699, which means $800 plus on the street.

But I agree that had I bought an RTX-2080TI I would be pissed.

The founders edition card will be at $699.

The founders edition card will be at $699.

You won't get your hands on one for that price, though.

Honestly though, I stopped the bleeding edge stuff a decade ago. If the 2070 drops another hundred, I'll swoop.

I will stick to my 2060 for now. I mostly game on xbox anyway and am much more interested in that release.

Its because of serious competition. I am glad I waited a generation....

Yeah, and oddly the competition is coming from the console market not the discrete graphics card market.

I'll probably wind up getting two of them, even though I barely get the kind of work these days that would warrant needing them.
Boy howdy I sure needed something like that back about five years ago, though.

Hey, this sort of thing happens all the time.
The very first DVD burners were between 2000 and 3500 bucks!
About a year or two later the average DVD burner was something like 400, then a year after that they were sub-200 and now they almost give them away. Same goes for the Blu-Ray burners.

My very first "high powered" (LOL) workstation featured a Tyan mobo with TWO 933 mHz CPU's.
I was almost like a GOD to other mere mortal editors! :lamo.

Prior to that, I shelled out almost five grand for one of these, and then did it three more times for three more of them!

VideoToaster-original.jpg

Yea it draws 320 watts! It is also going to be hot as hell. I hope you are patient too. It is not going to be available in quantity until 2021 meaning it will be selling above list until then. No mention of a die shrink either. I am quite happy with my 7Nm 5700xt that costs half what the 3080 does. AMD rules.:lol:

You won't get your hands on one for that price, though.

Honestly though, I stopped the bleeding edge stuff a decade ago. If the 2070 drops another hundred, I'll swoop.

Best Buy, on the 17th.

buy.jpg

Or order them from Nvidia directly. Other manufacturers are offering theirs at different prices.

Last edited:
Yea it draws 320 watts! It is also going to be hot as hell. I hope you are patient too. It is not going to be available in quantity until 2021 meaning it will be selling above list until then. No mention of a die shrink either. I am quite happy with my 7Nm 5700xt that costs half what the 3080 does. AMD rules.:lol:

It has a really good fan system on it.

We will know more on the 16th when the reviews come out.

That's peak though. It won't be a steady draw.

And come on, anyone in this thread has a 750 to 1000 watt Gold + or better anyway!

Here is Linus Tech Tips review of the RTX3080

While in games like MS Flight Sim there is barely an increase over the 2080Ti, apparently their weird down-render up-sampling thing is more than a gimmick.

Last edited:
Oh, also, I think the biggest tech news out of the releases today on the full specs and test benches if the news that the RTX3000 series have FINALLY unlocked virtualizing GPUs.

A system with an RTX3080 can now split GPU cycles between multiple virtual environments. This will revolutionize the Game Streaming service that can't really be over stated.

Until now, game streaming services had to lease time to discrete GPUs, making scaling out a monumental cost and headache. With the RTX3000 cards a streaming service can now assign far more accounts to a single card and efficiently serve FPS on a per-user basis.

Last edited:
I always get a laugh at gamers who claim they can perceive the difference between 40, 60, 120, 200 FPS.

The limits of human perception for 98% of us range between 23-28 FPS, and some exceptional people can theoretically distinguish into the low 30's. Beyond this, you're deluding yourself.

But... there they are. The VODs where DeludedGamer97 is proudly boasting how his rig puts up 150 FPS and audio sampled at 192kHz (which he swears also makes a difference despite the human ear maxing out 20kHz) and his gaming mouse is sensitive to movement down to 2 microns and...

My reality is that I play a lot of games, and while I like to run most at or above their middle-of-the-road settings for some additional polish, in 99% of cases the additional teraflops increase the gameplay enjoyability by precisely zero. Even then, I wonder how much of that is a placebo effect.

More musings on the news of virtualized GPUs and the future of gaming....

What we will see now is cloud providers like Amazon jumping full force in the the game streaming business. Now that customer streaming sessions don't need discrete graphics card assignments, Amazon can build out scalable game clouds where people who sign up to play Stardew Valley or Diablo III won't be locking up entire graphics cards when 5% will do. Efficiency efficiency efficiency.

This will lead to another revolution in online gaming: Server-side-only games. At the moment most games require a hefty client side system that renders and does most of the physics calculations, then sharing its calculations with other clients and central server. Not only does this leave the door open to hacking, but it leads to unintentional rubber banding, and just plain limitations of what a game can manage to present for large groups.

With the growth of streaming services and gaming cloud we will see games that run ENTIRELY from the cloud with zero client side calculation. Not only will this greatly reduce hacking and rubber banding, nut will greatly increase what the game worlds can actually deliver. Imagine full detail draw distances out to however far the developer wants. Imagine zero lag spikes. Detailed collisions. Complex hit boxes where things like backpacks no longer count as a target hit. Imagine games like War Thunder or World of Tanks with hundreds of people per side in gigantic maps.

All become possible when all calculations and rendering workloads are moved server side.

The first reviews are out, its a hit. I am going to try to secure one tomorrow, but probably won't be successful for a few weeks. I want something that will play Red Dead Redemption 2 with all the bells and whistles at 2K or 4K without being boggy, and something that will run the new Flight Simulator (which I found out runs in DX11, WTF) without too much trauma. I will eventually need to upgrade motherboard and processor, I have an I5 9600 now, not a terrible processor, but a newer I7 would be nice. Upgrading M/B and CPU is a pain in the ass though, I usually just buy a new drive (I need a bigger SSD) and re-install Windows clean and then re-install all the programs. I recently upgraded the PSU to 750W (much quieter!) and added 16 gb of memory, so I am now at 32 gb.

Nvidia RTX 3080 review: 4K greatness at $699—and good news for cheaper GPUs | Ars Technica

NVIDIA RTX 3080 review: A huge leap for 4K gaming and ray tracing | Engadget

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Review: One Hell of a Graphics Card

Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition Review: A Huge Generational Leap in Performance | Tom's Hardware

GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition: Hail to the King!

Nvidia's GeForce RTX 3080 Founders Edition is here, claiming the top spot on our GPU benchmarks hierarchy, and ranking as the best graphics card currently available — provided you're after performance first, with price and power being lesser concerns. After months of waiting, we finally have independent benchmarks and testing data. Nvidia has thrown down the gauntlet, clearly challenging AMD's Big Navi to try and match or beat what the Ampere architecture brings to the table.

We're going to hold off on a final verdict for now, as we have other third-party RTX 3080 cards to review, which will begin as soon as tomorrow. That's good news, as it means customers won't be limited to Nvidia's Founders Edition for the first month or so like we were with the RTX 20-series launch. Another piece of good news is that there's no Founders Edition 'tax' this time: The RTX 3080 FE costs $699, direct from Nvidia, and that's the base price of RTX 3080 cards for the time being. The bad news is that we fully expect supply to be insufficient to keep up with what we expect to be exceptionally high demand.

The bottom line, if you don't mind spoilers, is that the RTX 3080 FE is 33% faster than the RTX 2080 Ti, on average. Or, if you prefer other points of comparison, it's 57% faster than the RTX 2080 Super, 69% faster than the RTX 2080 FE — heck, it's even 26% faster than the Titan RTX!

But there's a catch: We measured all of those 'percent faster' results across our test suite running at 4K ultra settings. The lead narrows if you drop down to 1440p, and it decreases even more at 1080p. It's still 42% faster than a 2080 FE at 1080p ultra, but this is very much a card made for higher resolutions. Also, you might need a faster CPU to get the full 3080 experience — check out our companion GeForce RTX 3080 CPU Scaling article for the full details.

I always get a laugh at gamers who claim they can perceive the difference between 40, 60, 120, 200 FPS.

The limits of human perception for 98% of us range between 23-28 FPS, and some exceptional people can theoretically distinguish into the low 30's. Beyond this, you're deluding yourself.

But... there they are. The VODs where DeludedGamer97 is proudly boasting how his rig puts up 150 FPS and audio sampled at 192kHz (which he swears also makes a difference despite the human ear maxing out 20kHz) and his gaming mouse is sensitive to movement down to 2 microns and...

My reality is that I play a lot of games, and while I like to run most at or above their middle-of-the-road settings for some additional polish, in 99% of cases the additional teraflops increase the gameplay enjoyability by precisely zero. Even then, I wonder how much of that is a placebo effect.

The human eye can perceive about 60fps.

The frame redraw and reaction is not entirely visual. If you are rendering a game at, say, 30fps, the game will calculate 1 frame position out of every 8 you would get in 240 fps for a moving object, the difference that makes is that if you click at a random point in the vicinity of a moving target in a 30fps render there is a better chance you click in an empty space since the target of your click would effectively teleport around the point of click.

The brain can calculate and respond to trajectories of objects more precisely than the eye can see, deriving a sharper estimation of target positioning than the eye can perceive and faster than a 30fps video can represent. Because of this, the higher the frame rate, the more likely that a skilled person's reactions will result in a good click because the chance that the target and pointer are rendered in the same place at the moment of click is higher.

To put in another way, imagine skeet shooting where the clay pigeon has the same flight time and trajectory as you'd expect, but teleports between 50 discrete positions in rapid succession rather than following a real world arc. The chance that you would hit it would decrease, even if your aim and timing were good.

The human eye can perceive about 60fps.

The frame redraw and reaction is not entirely visual. If you are rendering a game at, say, 30fps, the game will calculate 1 frame position out of every 8 you would get in 240 fps for a moving object, the difference that makes is that if you click at a random point in the vicinity of a moving target in a 30fps render there is a better chance you click in an empty space since the target of your click would effectively teleport around the point of click.

The brain can calculate and respond to trajectories of objects more precisely than the eye can see, deriving a sharper estimation of target positioning than the eye can perceive and faster than a 30fps video can represent. Because of this, the higher the frame rate, the more likely that a skilled person's reactions will result in a good click because the chance that the target and pointer are rendered in the same place at the moment of click is higher.

To put in another way, imagine skeet shooting where the clay pigeon has the same flight time and trajectory as you'd expect, but teleports between 50 discrete positions in rapid succession rather than following a real world arc. The chance that you would hit it would decrease, even if your aim and timing were good.
I understand the general principle of a high frame rate as improving the precision of motion interpolation.

My argument is that if controlled scientific experiments were run on a randomly selected cohort of gamers, the results would show that most couldn't reliably distinguish between 40 FPS and 60 FPS. Of those who could, their performance at 60 FPS would be negligibly better. And comparing 60 FPS to 120 FPS, etc., would reveal no statistically significant difference whatsoever.

I think where a rig that can support a sustained 120 FPS is genuinely differentiable from one that can support a sustained 60 FPS or 40 FPS is that situations often arise when the GPU is briefly overburdened and the frame rate lags to as little as 25% the sustained rate. Hence a 40 FPS sustained occasionally lags to 10 FPS, which is admittedly brutal, while a 120 FPS sustained only lags to 30 FPS, which would barely be noticeable. Hence on that basis, I can see the justification for more power.

It's interesting you mention game streaming services, because there you've got anywhere from a 150-300 ms round trip lag on your inputs baked in. Not quite the same thing as frames, I know, but for the gamer who claims he needs 60 rather than 30 FPS (a difference of ~16 ms per frame) to time his inputs right, what's the streaming going to do to his performance?

Back
Top Bottom