• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gee, they were right, the bible does talk about abortion, about performing one

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Numbers 5 11 31, is an interesting part of the bible. It tells how abortions were to be performed on women who cheated on their husbands and had gotten pregnant. Apparently a little holy water and dirt from the floor of the church put into the woman would do the trick. In other parts of the bible you can find that if a man hurts a woman who is pregnant and she loses the baby, he is only punished for hurting the woman. It seems that little thought is given in the bible to fetuses, only to children after leaving the womb. Just so you know that personally I do not approve of abortion, but that is my personal morale position, but Why should my or anyone's opinion rule other people's lives?

Numbers 5 11 31, is an interesting part of the bible. It tells how abortions were to be performed on women who cheated on their husbands and had gotten pregnant. Apparently a little holy water and dirt from the floor of the church put into the woman would do the trick. In other parts of the bible you can find that if a man hurts a woman who is pregnant and she loses the baby, he is only punished for hurting the woman. It seems that little thought is given in the bible to fetuses, only to children after leaving the womb. Just so you know that personally I do not approve of abortion, but that is my personal morale position, but Why should my or anyone's opinion rule other people's lives?

Please keep your religion off the child's body.

You should actually read it instead of getting all you info from anti-religon zealots. The verse actually says that God will curse a woman with a miscarriage if she cheats

There's more.

Adonai said to Moshe in the Sinai Desert, “Take a census of the tribe of Levi by clans and families. Count every male a month old or over.”-Numbers 3:14-15

That's one of several passages.

We modern people tend to see antiquity as we see today. Our long lifespans, good health and amazing medical technology were not available in antiquity. Indeed, they weren't available at the founding of this nation.

Childbirth was often fatal, to one or both the woman and child. The first 30 days of life were often fatal, so much so, that God doesn't recognize children as persons until they reach that age. Not fetuses, born children.

The Bible is one of the worst arguments to use against abortion.

It's not an abortion, it doesn't say anything on the fate of the child.

Again, this is the sort of nonsense that comes from those who neither respect the bible or its Author and who have OBVIOUSLY never read the bible themselves, let alone studied it.

One might even question that person's ability to read, let alone comprehend what it is they're reading - given nowhere does the text remotely say what the OP is stretching so mightily to pretend it does.

I don't mean to be harsh, but this isn't the first thread we've seen on this particular verse recently.

You should actually read it instead of getting all you info from anti-religon zealots. The verse actually says that God will curse a woman with a miscarriage if she cheats
Wow. The problem here isn't reading; it's thinking.

If God kills the baby, it's still an abortion. The only difference here is God is the abortionist.

But you do need a dictionary to tell you the difference between a baby and a fetus.

I don't care what words you use for the baby.

Again, this is the sort of nonsense that comes from those who neither respect the bible or its Author and who have OBVIOUSLY never read the bible themselves, let alone studied it.

One might even question that person's ability to read, let alone comprehend what it is they're reading - given nowhere does the text remotely say what the OP is stretching so mightily to pretend it does.

I don't mean to be harsh, but this isn't the first thread we've seen on this particular verse recently.
Yes. You are correct.

About a week ago your contention was that since the Bible said "stomach" instead of "womb" that obviously it wasn't in reference to a pregnancy.

I then pointed out that the word "womb" wasn't even a word until the 8th century. Below is the same link I used in that thread.

You didn't respond to me in that thread.

So here we are.

I did read it and it says that the
Maybe you should read it and here is in these links. It is the priest who does the abortion.

Why should my or anyone's opinion rule other people's lives?
That's not really how it works. People don't like to admit it, but we do rule over other people's lives. What if parents want to beat their children? What if a man wants to beat his wife? What if people want to torture animals? What if people want to buy and use PCP? What if a poor person wants to sell an organ to a rich person? I could go on with many examples, but we often tell people 'you can't do that' in the name of enforcing 'public morals'.

I did read it and it says that the

Maybe you should read it and here is in these links. It is the priest who does the abortion.

Maybe reading comprehension isn't your thing

"may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell"

It's clear the Lord is causing the miscarriage

Maybe reading comprehension isn't your thing

"may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell"

It's clear the Lord is causing the miscarriage
It is the water and the dust that causes the abortion. It was the first chemical abortion. If the lord caused abortions, there would be thousand more of them around the world as I am sure every teen that got pregnant had said such a prayer.. I can not believe that anyone with a working brain who reads that would think a prayer caused the abortion, really, REALLY?

I know right. Just reading the Bible isn't enough. You have to read it, then discuss it with your pastor, then read it again by the light of the setting sun and stare really hard at the relevant passage until the words re-arrange to say what they're supposed to.

Ridiculous? No, what's ridiculous is when Christians cannot even debate the meaning of a passage, and have to hand wave about "study."

That’s not correct. You left out that if any further harm comes (baby dies) tooth for tooth

But you do need a dictionary to find out why babies are not being killed.
Sure they are. That’s why CA charges a double murder when pregnant mom on way to get abortion is murdered at the taco stand.

Which is magical ****ing bullshit IMO.

Even Biden called it a child yesterday. A what?

But you do need a dictionary to tell you the difference between a baby and a fetus.
Yes, a distinction without a difference.

I don't need the Bible to tell me that killing babies is immoral.

What do you need to tell you that forcing a person to let another person use their body against their will is immoral?

Back
Top Bottom