• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GDP Growth under Trump

Luckyone

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I still remember before the election that Trump was saying he was going to stimulate a 6% GDP growth. Well, that has not happened and it is not likely to happen. The best it got was 4.1% in July but Obama had several quarters that were better than that, having had 1 quarter at 5.1%

The last GDP report came in at 3.3% and it is estimated that the next one will be 2.8%. In addition, the Fed announcement of the increase of interest rates that came yesterday is showing that they expect GDP growth to be around 2.3% in 2019, 2.0% in 2020 and 1.8% in 2021. As such, where is that great 6% growth that Trump promised? Another fake assessment to stimulate his base is the reality.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/monetarypolicy/fomcprojtabl20181219.htm

The Stock market has now fallen over 50% of what it grew after the Trump election and that suggests that the traders no longer believe that Trump is doing the right thing for continued growth. Yes, the Tax cut and deregulation helped the market at first, but the Trade War and what Trump has done for the economy since have all been negatives.

The "star" is starting to fade and likely will become a Nova soon. Trump is on the way down, especially considering that things can't be done crookedly or without thought without ultimately crashing down.

Where is the bright future that Trump promised?

I am interested in seeing the Trump supporters trying to explain this and coming up with a rosy future scenario, given that there is little more that Trump can do now to turn things back up toward a growth of consequence scenario. At the end of year 3 of his presidency, the US will be growing at 2.3% and that is the same as Obama was showing when he left.

Oh, by the way, silence regarding the economy is what is now coming out of the Trump administration.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/11/30/trumps-economy-trump-and-republicans-have-been-radio-silent-on-december-quarters-gdp-growth/#6d6d1548644e

Last edited:
The goalposts will continually be moved, reinvented and ignored until the inescapable occurs. At that point, it will be Obama's/Hillary's fault.

Don't worry, they will blame it on Democrats, the Fed, China... anything and anyone except Trump.

Granted, Trump is only probably responsible for 50-100 basis points here and there; ultimately, the President has very little real control over growth. Maybe more, if we have a big recession and he screws up the response, but hopefully that won't happen.

Ironically, though, his policies have nicked a few points off of growth. His trade policies resulted in a larger trade deficit (the opposite of what he wanted btw), which reduces growth. Ooops

I still remember before the election that Trump was saying he was going to stimulate a 6% GDP growth. Well, that has not happened and it is not likely to happen. The best it got was 4.1% in July but Obama had several quarters that were better than that, having had 1 quarter at 5.1%

The last GDP report came in at 3.3% and it is estimated that the next one will be 2.8%. In addition, the Fed announcement of the increase of interest rates that came yesterday is showing that they expect GDP growth to be around 2.3% in 2019, 2.0% in 2020 and 1.8% in 2021. As such, where is that great 6% growth that Trump promised? Another fake assessment to stimulate his base is the reality.

The Stock market has now fallen over 50% of what it grew after the Trump election and that suggests that the traders no longer believe that Trump is doing the right thing for continued growth. Yes, the Tax cut and deregulation helped the market at first, but the Trade War and what Trump has done for the economy since have all been negatives.

The "star" is starting to fade and likely will become a Nova soon. Trump is on the way down, especially considering that things can't be done crookedly or without thought without ultimately crashing down.

I am interested in seeing the Trump supporters trying to explain this and coming up with a rosy future scenario, given that there is little more that Trump can do now to turn things back up toward a growth of consequence scenario. At the end of year 3 of his presidency, the US will be growing at 2.3% and that is the same as Obama was showing when he left.

Oh, by the way, silence regarding the economy is what is now coming out of the Trump administration.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckjones/2018/11/30/trumps-economy-trump-and-republicans-have-been-radio-silent-on-december-quarters-gdp-growth/#6d6d1548644e

LOL!!

When did Trump say "he was going to stimulate a 6% GDP growth"?

Trump defies data with 6% GDP growth forecast

"So we're at 3.3 percent GDP. I see no reason why we don't go to 4 percent, 5 percent, and even 6 percent."​

So...Trump talking about a possibility and a goal is now equal to "Trump was saying he was going to stimulate a 6% GDP growth."

You see...this is why nobody takes you guys seriously. You spin a simple statement into something entirely different...and then complain about it and argue about it.

This thread is dismissed.

Last edited:

You guys are truly amazing. The FED is raising interest rates because the economy is actually doing too well!

So...Trump talking about a possibility and a goal is now equal to "Trump was saying he was going to stimulate a 6% GDP growth."

You see...this is why nobody takes you guys seriously. You spin a simple statement into something entirely different...and then complain about it and argue about it.

Repeating his words is not "spin." Pretending he never said them--that's spin.

You guys are truly amazing. The FED is raising interest rates because the economy is actually doing too well!

Bottom line though. is that the Trump promises and predictions have not come to pass!

Bottom line though. is that the Trump promises and predictions have not come to pass!

Yeah...DAMN THAT TRUMP!!! He can't snap his finger good enough and he's not a king.

God I hope that trump does something to boost it up because he will gonna to get back lash

This thread is dismissed.

I like watching you whip out this faux authority to dismiss a thread so you can pretend to exit on top when in reality you are bailing because just you got served.

God I hope that trump does something to boost it up because he will gonna to get back lash

??? "he will gonna get back lash" ???

He has gotten nothing BUT backlash since the day he came down the escalator.

Yeah...DAMN THAT TRUMP!!! He can't snap his finger good enough and he's not a king.

But Trump sure thought he was.

“So often, the president would say here’s what I want to do and here’s how I want to do it and I would have to say to him: ‘Mr President, I understand what you want to do but you can’t do it that way. It violates the law,’” Mr Tillerson said, according to The Houston Chronicle.

linkypoo...

And the trump authoritarian-loving base sure wishes he was.

*edit... case and point:

Unfortunately, opposition from various people have stopped him from snapping his fingers.

Back
Top Bottom