• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Gay Rights?

shuamort said:
Wouldn't that assume that everyone is a blank slate sexually then? That sexuality at that point is just a large human game of "Red Rover, Red Rover"?
Not necessarly. It is obvious that as we develope we begin to be attracted to other people. I think what is trained is the sexuality, but more importantly, it is the idea of romantacism. I mean look at us compared to animals. What seperates a life long companion/best friend of the same sex from a "partner?" Sex and romance. Well, we have no examples of romance in animals. So then it is arguable that romance is not necesarly a genetic issue. It is something we choose to take part in. In a strictly animal sense, sex is a device mostly used for reproduction. Few animals take part in pleasurable sex. And an even fewer amount show signs of doing so by themselves, and an even fewer show signs of doing anything similar with one of their own sex.
So what does all that go to say? Firstly, that romance is a completely learned trait, because only we humans do it, and really it differs among culture. Secondly, the only thing seperating a homosexual in my eyes from a person that is straight is the participation in romance and sex with another male, and that is a chosen action, is it not?

sebastiansdreams said:
Not necessarly. It is obvious that as we develope we begin to be attracted to other people. I think what is trained is the sexuality, but more importantly, it is the idea of romantacism. I mean look at us compared to animals. What seperates a life long companion/best friend of the same sex from a "partner?" Sex and romance. Well, we have no examples of romance in animals. So then it is arguable that romance is not necesarly a genetic issue. It is something we choose to take part in. In a strictly animal sense, sex is a device mostly used for reproduction. Few animals take part in pleasurable sex. And an even fewer amount show signs of doing so by themselves, and an even fewer show signs of doing anything similar with one of their own sex.
So what does all that go to say? Firstly, that romance is a completely learned trait, because only we humans do it, and really it differs among culture. Secondly, the only thing seperating a homosexual in my eyes from a person that is straight is the participation in romance and sex with another male, and that is a chosen action, is it not?

I'm confused, considering we've observed homosexuality in animals, how can you ascribe romance to it?

shuamort said:
I'm confused, considering we've observed homosexuality in animals, how can you ascribe romance to it?
But what exactly have we seen in animals? Lifelong companionship? What seperates them from being what we consider best friends? Sexual behavior? Well, is this behavior strictly same sex, or is there some same sex pleasure and then heterosexual activity as well? You see, it's a tricky business ascribing sexual oreintation to animals. Because they don't have that aspect of "love" and romance that we do.

sebastiansdreams said:
But what exactly have we seen in animals? Lifelong companionship? What seperates them from being what we consider best friends? Sexual behavior? Well, is this behavior strictly same sex, or is there some same sex pleasure and then heterosexual activity as well? You see, it's a tricky business ascribing sexual oreintation to animals. Because they don't have that aspect of "love" and romance that we do.
Well, we're not typically seeing love from homosexual OR heterosexual animals, so how could love be a basis for sexual attraction? We are however seeing sexual behavior in exclusive behavior whether that's straight or gay.

shuamort said:
Well, we're not typically seeing love from homosexual OR heterosexual animals, so how could love be a basis for sexual attraction? We are however seeing sexual behavior in exclusive behavior whether that's straight or gay.
Do you care to give me a cite I can read up on that? Because I still haven't been able to find out such details. Its always been vague as to "what" homosexual behavior was being shown. But, I certainly agree that we are not seeing love from these animals, nor romance. So then don't you think they differ from human behavior in that aspect? I mean, when you think of homosexuals, you don't think of a man who is sometimes attracted to men but is happily married to his best friend who is a woman who he is very romantically and sexually involved with do you?

sebastiansdreams said:
Do you care to give me a cite I can read up on that? Because I still haven't been able to find out such details. Its always been vague as to "what" homosexual behavior was being shown. But, I certainly agree that we are not seeing love from these animals, nor romance. So then don't you think they differ from human behavior in that aspect? I mean, when you think of homosexuals, you don't think of a man who is sometimes attracted to men but is happily married to his best friend who is a woman who he is very romantically and sexually involved with do you?
I'd agree and say animals/insects do differ in that they don't demonstrate love or romance as we do. But, as I'm going to show in this article, there may be a social component that's up for grabs here. But it may be biological as well.

Penguins Revive Debate of Homosexuality in Animals (I've done some snipping here, so read the full article):
At a German zoo, the behavior of six penguins that formed same-sex couples has revived the incipient scientific debate about the origins of homosexuality in the animal kingdom.

In theory, in a protected environment, the penguins should reproduce and multiply. ...14 penguins formed seven pairs with the four females mating with four males and reproducing just once. The remaining six males formed three homosexual pairs, which in their fruitless attempts to produce offspring have attempted to incubate rocks that they have confused for eggs.

So Kuek decided to import four females, which were charged with attracting the males who had formed same-sex couples. But the effort came too late. The Bremerhaven males ignored the female penguins from Sweden, and continued their homosexual behaviors.

''The relationship between our penguin pairs is very deep. Now we have to wait until the beginning of 2006 to see if they will form heterosexual couples,''

And I do have to comment on this following part:

Kuek's effort triggered a strong reaction from gay and lesbian groups around the world. From Austria to Australia, homosexual activists condemned what they considered illegitimate intervention in the sexual freedom of animals.
At times like these, I would love to find these activists and have a little talk with 'em. :roll:

The article then moves into biological reasons:
According to a study of sheep at the University of Oregon's school of medicine, in the U.S. northwest, animal sexuality could be determined -- among other variables -- by a network of nerves located in the hypothalamus (a region of the brain responsible for the production of several hormones), which conditions sexual behavior.

In the study published in 2004, physiologist Charles Roselli and his team said they discovered groups of brain cells that were different amongst the sheep and that showed a strong correlation with their sexual preference. Roselli dubbed this knot of nerve cells ''ovine sexually dimorphic nucleus, oSDN.
And sociological ones:
He explained that during his research, published in 2002 in the Archives of Sexual Behavior, he manipulated the numeric relation of females with respect to male macaques in order to analyze the females' sexual preferences in function of the availability of potential mates of the opposite sex.

''I found that when the number of males is reduced, the homosexual behavior of the females increases,'' said the scientist.

The article ends:
Based on these experiences, scientists believe that a more comprehensive theory of sexual selection among animals is needed, and should take into account social as well as biological aspects.

I apologize for the delay in responding to this one. I've been looking at all of this article for some time now looking for how to make a concise response to it. I think the hard part is that these observations lead us so many different conclusions. Some that conflict with each other in some aspects, etc. But here are a few notes on this particular study:

shuamort said:
I'd agree and say animals/insects do differ in that they don't demonstrate love or romance as we do.

That's why I have so much trouble with agreeing with the comment that animals show through their actions that homosexuality is a phenomena occuring in nature. Because, there are certainly actions that are the same between homosexual humans and the actions of certain animals. But there are also gaping differences in the relationships and action between humans and animals that make it hard to come to any real conclusion regarding what we consider a human social relationship. Because as I pointed out, when we refer to human beings who are homosexual, we normally are not speaking of a person who is happily married to someone of the opposite sex with children, but rather someone who is either involved in or seeking a relationship with someone of the same-sex. And, as you pointed out in the article with the penguins, while the penguins were pairing into same sex groups, there is confusion regarding reproduction (the incubation of the rocks) that is a very notable difference between human relationship and animal relationship. In the case of human homosexuals, there is certainly no confusion that a homosexual is attempting to reproduce with another person of their same sex. There is no element of "confusion" as such, at least regarding reproduction. Futhermore, this case involved a limit of options, which is certainly not normally the case in homosexuals. There is nearly a fifty fifty split as far as population goes, and lets face it, modern homosexuality is not a question of population. But in the case of these penguins, it seems it was in fact an issue of limited population, at least in the stage in which they were selecting life partners.

Penguins Revive Debate of Homosexuality in Animals (I've done some snipping here, so read the full article):

At times like these, I would love to find these activists and have a little talk with 'em. :roll:

Believe me, there are a few in every group. As a Christian, I am constantly wishing for a few minutes to have a very loud discussion with Jerry Falwell and the like.

The article then moves into biological reasons:

According to a study of sheep at the University of Oregon's school of medicine, in the U.S. northwest, animal sexuality could be determined -- among other variables -- by a network of nerves located in the hypothalamus (a region of the brain responsible for the production of several hormones), which conditions sexual behavior.

In the study published in 2004, physiologist Charles Roselli and his team said they discovered groups of brain cells that were different amongst the sheep and that showed a strong correlation with their sexual preference. Roselli dubbed this knot of nerve cells ''ovine sexually dimorphic nucleus, oSDN.

That led me to an interesting question: Do the brain cells showing correlation with sexual prefence deveolop during the life or at birth, in a normal animal? The reason I ask this is I wonder if this is a question of which came first, the chicken or the egg. Do you think that perhaps sexual preference may have an effect on these nerve cells, or are we (as a scientific community) under the impression that these nerves cause the sexual preference?

Okay, so in closing this gives me a little more of an idea on what the scientific community means when they are speaking of "homosexual" behaviors. It seems that they are broken into two basic areas: sexual (having to do with sexual pleasure activities) and social (having to do with reproduction confusion and companionship between two animals of same sex).

The problem I guess that still stands in my eyes is this still doesn't give us a great means of comparrison to human actions regarding homosexuality. There are some many more complex elements of relationships between humans that do not exist in other animals, even if you look at humans as an animal. For example, where as in humans, if a person chooses one person to be theirs for mating and companionship. If they are not faithful to this agreement, they suffer social dissaproval from others of their species. Whereas, in looking at other animals, this dissaproval does not show itself.
I guess the point of that is to say that it is very hard to find some sort of definitive answer regarding relationships by comparing them to nature. We find that some animals commit sexual acts with other same sex animals. We see that some animals choose to attempt to go through the motions of reproduction with other same sex animals. But, I don't know that we are taking enough care in evaluating the implications of that. I think that these findings are taken too far in the suggestions of labeling such animals as "homosexual" animals.

Back
Top Bottom