• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Gay Pride?

DChead22

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Here's just my two cents on homosexuals;

I don't know the exact science on what makes a gay person gay, (and I don't really care) but all I know is that they've have always been around and will continue to be around untill the end of existence. So to those who dislike or hate homosexuals, why don't you just get over it? In my opinion, you can have sex with whoever you want (with the exception of rape or pedophilia, etc.) as long as you keep it to yourself.

Somebody explain this to me, (preferibly somebody who is gay) why do you have to use the famous 'gay voice'? I'm not saying every gay person does it, but some gay people definetley do use the voice. IT IS ANNOYING. Like I said, I don't care what your sexual orientation is, but why the voice? Is it to show you're gay and you're proud? I don't understand that. Should I make a voice stating I'm straight and I'm proud? This also brings up an other issue. Rainbow stickers. What are they for? Just to say "I'm Gay". That's great. Whoop-dee-doo. Why do homosexuals who do have the voice or the bumpersticker feel they have to show how they're different from other people? There is no proof that gay individuals have to have that voice, most of the time it is unnatural and is learned over time. Some people do have the 'gay voice' and aren't gay, I understand that, but how come so many gay people seem to have this voice? Some people may argue that this is 'gay culture'. This also boggles my mind. What does 'you having sex with other guys' have to do with the rest of your life? It shouldn't dictate how you live your non-sexual life, should it? I mean, c'mon. straight guys have sex with women- their voices are natural and their own (for the most part). If you're gay and you're proud, what exactly are you proud of? Are you better then the rest of us? I don't mean to sound ignorant or closed minded, but I really don't understand it.

Homosexuals aren't alone either- it is true for the most part, straight people don't change their voice like some gays, and generally don't have "I'm straight " bumper stickers but there are other things straight people do to show they are in fact straight, but for different reasons. Not to show that they're proud to be straight but to show that they're not gay. For example; straight guys won't do jobs or wear clothes that are considered 'gay' in American society, because they're buddies will give them crap for it. But I know why straight people do that, so they're not embarrased by their friends or family that they're are doing something considered gay.

I have nothing against homosexuals in general, and I don't hate those people with the voice or the sticker, I'm simply curious as to why these actions are done, that is all.

I'm just a curious boy in a curious world :smile:

im not gay, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. there is a thread on this forum specifically for posting questions to the gay members of this forum, you might want to check it out: http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-sexuality/8725-everything-you-wanted-know-about-gays-but-were-afraid-ask.html?highlight=gays+afraid

DChead22 said:

I don't know the exact science on what makes a gay person gay, (and I don't really care) but all I know is that they've have always been around and will continue to be around untill the end of existence. So to those who dislike or hate homosexuals, why don't you just get over it? In my opinion, you can have sex with whoever you want (with the exception of rape or pedophilia, etc.) as long as you keep it to yourself.

because of religion.

DChead22 said:
Somebody explain this to me, (preferibly somebody who is gay) why do you have to use the famous 'gay voice'? I'm not saying every gay person does it, but some gay people definetley do use the voice. IT IS ANNOYING. Like I said, I don't care what your sexual orientation is, but why the voice? Is it to show you're gay and you're proud? I don't understand that. Should I make a voice stating I'm straight and I'm proud? This also brings up an other issue. Rainbow stickers. What are they for? Just to say "I'm Gay". That's great. Whoop-dee-doo. Why do homosexuals who do have the voice or the bumpersticker feel they have to show how they're different from other people? There is no proof that gay individuals have to have that voice, most of the time it is unnatural and is learned over time. Some people do have the 'gay voice' and aren't gay, I understand that, but how come so many gay people seem to have this voice? Some people may argue that this is 'gay culture'. This also boggles my mind. What does 'you having sex with other guys' have to do with the rest of your life? It shouldn't dictate how you live your non-sexual life, should it? I mean, c'mon. straight guys have sex with women- their voices are natural and their own (for the most part). If you're gay and you're proud, what exactly are you proud of? Are you better then the rest of us? I don't mean to sound ignorant or closed minded, but I really don't understand it.

I think its just a matter of who you hang out with, and who you identify with. people speak like their peers. people get their speach patturns from their family, friends and peers.

DChead22 said:
Homosexuals aren't alone either- it is true for the most part, straight people don't change their voice like some gays, and generally don't have "I'm straight " bumper stickers but there are other things straight people do to show they are in fact straight, but for different reasons. Not to show that they're proud to be straight but to show that they're not gay. For example; straight guys won't do jobs or wear clothes that are considered 'gay' in American society, because they're buddies will give them crap for it. But I know why straight people do that, so they're not embarrased by their friends or family that they're are doing something considered gay.

I think its a reaction to all the crap they've had to deal with and are still dealing with from people that hate them or dont want to give them equal rights. its a way of banding together and saying "we're not going to put up with your crap anymore. we're gay - deal with it"

DChead22 said:

I have nothing against homosexuals in general, and I don't hate those people with the voice or the sticker, I'm simply curious as to why these actions are done, that is all.

I'm just a curious boy in a curious world :smile:

It's really good to see someone asking questions without making retarded assertions and arguments. Kudos to you!:2wave:

Firstly, most people with anti-homosexual sentiments really have no reason besides maybe a religious statute or some unfounded hatred. I tend to think a lot of it comes from misunderstanding; many humans fear/hate what they don't understand.

Secondly, as a bisexual person, I have to admit that I really don't understand the voice either. It seems pointless to me, but as long as it makes someone else comfortable or happy I don't really care all too much, though, even as a bi, extreme flambouyancy (assuming it's not completely natural) can get on my nerves sometimes.

Thirdly, the pride thing is just sort of an awkward thing. It's good to have faith and pride in who you are, but I usually don't go around trying to show my colors to everyone. I figure rather than gay/black/female pride, people should just have human pride.

Fourthly, when many talk of "gay culture," I think it tends to be one of those things like saying "black culture." Stereotypes dictate that Black culture may include tricked out cars, basketball, and rap music, just as gay pride may rely on fashion, skincare, certain types of music/dancing, etc. again, much of the assumptions/perceptions of what makes a certain people's culture is based on stereotypes. I don't bother with it, every single person has their own culture to offer the world.

that's all I make out for ya, I hope that helped. Again, it's good to see a straight voice in here that's not bigotted, welcome to the forums.

Well thanks I appreciate your reply. I think you and I are on the same wavelength here. I agree with what you're saying and I think everybody has something to offer the world and the fact that you're gay or black should have very little impact on your accomplishments. I think you should be proud that you raised good kids, or you can play guitar really well, or that you did what you never that you could. I guess I'm confused as to why some one would want to show they're proud that they're gay or what race they are. Human pride, I never thought of it before but it's definetley an interesting concept.

PS Thanks for not turning my questions and making me out to be a biggot. Some people on this site do nothing but try to make trouble, and I'm sure one of those people will reply soon. Thanks for understanding.

DChead22 said:
Well thanks I appreciate your reply. I think you and I are on the same wavelength here. I agree with what you're saying and I think everybody has something to offer the world and the fact that you're gay or black should have very little impact on your accomplishments. I think you should be proud that you raised good kids, or you can play guitar really well, or that you did what you never that you could. I guess I'm confused as to why some one would want to show they're proud that they're gay or what race they are. Human pride, I never thought of it before but it's definetley an interesting concept.

PS Thanks for not turning my questions and making me out to be a biggot. Some people on this site do nothing but try to make trouble, and I'm sure one of those people will reply soon. Thanks for understanding.

Anytime man, it's really good to see some level headed people around here, they're gettin' scarce!

What annoys me the most is when I see these idiots wearing dresses to their gay pride marches and saying they want to be treated normally. Thanks for making us all seem like freaks to the bigots in this country. That's gonna get us real far!

DChead22 said:
Somebody explain this to me, (preferibly somebody who is gay) why do you have to use the famous 'gay voice'? I'm not saying every gay person does it, but some gay people definetley do use the voice.

I know straight men who have camper voices than many of the screamers in
town. I suspect there's a lot of observational bias in it. A guy seems gay, so
any oddities in his speech are perceived as being "a gay voice". People with an
over-camp voice account for probably less than 10% of the gay
people I know.

Well the bumper stickers, necklaces bracelets earrings etc actually serve a very real purpose. identification. A majority of human beings are at least decently attractive, roughly 10% of the total population is gay. Thus if your gay you need some reliable means of seperating those percentages. hence the identifying clothing stickers etc. (yes I realize ugly people need loving too, that's why they invented DC current)

As for the voice thing, I have no F*ing clue how that started and why it's become a culture thing.

Blind man said:
Well the bumper stickers, necklaces bracelets earrings etc actually serve a very real purpose. identification. A majority of human beings are at least decently attractive, roughly 10% of the total population is gay. Thus if your gay you need some reliable means of seperating those percentages. hence the identifying clothing stickers etc. (yes I realize ugly people need loving too, that's why they invented DC current)

As for the voice thing, I have no F*ing clue how that started and why it's become a culture thing.

That's true, I've never thought of it before. Speaking on a social and not a sexual basis, I really do suppose it could have some value; people who are alike, especially if you're living in a society that tends to oppress your group of people, it's good to be able to find others readily to identify with.

I remember I used to wear these two bracelets one of my friends made, one saying "I'm gay, kiss me." and the other saying "I like girls." They were both lesbian pride bracelets, but put together, made a perfect bisexual pride bracelet!:rofl

wackestmc

it's really good to see some level headed people around here, they're gettin' scarce!

Whats your PROBLEM MAN! What are you trying to SAY!!

Just Joking.

I agree that it is nice to have a balance. Balance is good...bipolar contains zero balance... interesting...

To All

I always wonder, and if it was dicussed here and I missed it then sorry, but I always wonder what it is that compels gay activists to participate in Gay Rights Parades and such...why?

Why the need to display something that should be private? I understand letting the public know that they are people and that they are sometimes persecuted...but much of that hate stems from the simple fact that gays make it a big deal that they are gay...not always, of course. I have known many many gay and lesbians in my time...I ask them but I have yet to get any to convey the true meaning that "activism" derives from...

I have heard a lot of reasons, but none seem to ring true for some reason. Not that any are liars, it is just that what is mentioned seem like minor reasons and not major ones...

I am still searching for meaning...

Just a question...

Later days...

I hate to bring psychology into this, but I think people like to identify with a group. People are proud of being in the Army, or being vegetarians, or being Christian. They display it with bumper stickers, pins, jackets, word of mouth, you name it. I hate using this saying, but I think it is something of "human nature" to show pride in something you identify with, especially when it is a minority group. I imagine homosexuality would be much the same way.

That is the best reason that I have encountered, and that is the one that I have always believed...but is there not more? Not to dismiss what you said, because it is insightful...but is it really that simple? The simplest reason Does tend to be the correct one, as one guy once said...

BodiSatva said:
That is the best reason that I have encountered, and that is the one that I have always believed...but is there not more? Not to dismiss what you said, because it is insightful...but is it really that simple? The simplest reason Does tend to be the correct one, as one guy once said...

I'm sure it's just one of many. Humans are never simple enough to be defined by a theory.

No, Bodisatva, WHAT'S YOUR PROBLEM, MAN!? STILL WANT TO PICK ON ME!?

Just kidding, it's great that we're being diplomatic/burying the hatchet. :)

I think in many cases it could be that simple, speaking from the view of a bisexual, I know there's many people out there that would love to lynch me just for being me, and at the same time, there's others who wouldn't. But either case, I really do love being able to identify with anyone whether it's a lifestyle or a simple interest, but especially given the crcumstances that many homosexuals have to live in.

But then again, there's just about every reason out there to do something, I'm sure it just depends on the person, really.

Re: Gay Pride?...Just my two cents...

Pardon the forth comming rabbling.

My take on the "gay voice" thing is it's simply an affectation.
Not all gay men I know use it or care to try.
I have a couple of friends I tend to use as examples.
These two friends of mine are men, one gay and one straight. Both are in Theatre. Both fairly attractive men. One actually speaks in a campy style and is very dramatic. The other is fairly middle of the road, speaks with your typical, average Mid-Western accent and is mostly soft-spoken.
Guess which is which?

The gay guy is the "middle of the road" fellow and the straight one is the drama "Queen."

I, myself, am a lesbian, as many on here know already.
I'm not a flannel wearing, short haircut sporting bull dyke, nor am I a ultra-femme always in perfect make-up and heals.
I'm first and foremost a Mom, I work in average business casual attire, I sometimes wear make-up when I find I have a few extra minutes in the morning or if I'm going out. I rarely wear heals only because I ruined my arches while serving in the Military.

My point is that you just can't make sweeping assumptions about people. When you do you're only setting yourself up for some really nasty suprises as well as perpetuating a culture of hate and fear that I find completely pointless.

People are people and as humans we all find ourselves needing to distinguish ourselves from the rest of the crowd at one time or another. Some speak with an affected tone, some sport a cross-gender wardrobe, some feel the need to inject their sexuality into every conversation, and some of us really have other things on our minds.
My way of distinguishing myself from the "crowd" is by designing much of my own wardrobe, that isn't worn to my average job. I am a huge supporter of my son and his free spirited passion for music. I love my country but hate the infestation of religious radicals who have taken over our government.

I keep my sex life in my bedroom where it belongs, but I fight like a mother tiger to protect and defend my rights and the rights of my fellow gays and lesbians.
No one I work with knows that the occassional day I take off every other month or so is spent at my state or national capitals lobbying for gay rights and helping organize grassroots efforts to gain the same rights so many of our straight counterparts take for granted.
But if they found out, I wouldn't really care. It's who I am, but not All I am.
I'm much more than just a lesbian and don't care to have my entire being defined by whom I sleep and share my home life with.

In reference to the "gay voice" you make it seem like something that is learned or forced, like eubonics or similar. Im gay and I have a gay voice, it's very stereotypical, the huffs, etc. but I was born with it, and I wouldn't choose anything different because I love it. People don't expect me to to have this voice...I look like a football player, yet I prance around like a pink pony.

Why are people always saying "I wish they werent so obvious" "why do they throw it in my face?" Uhm, why are you throwing your heterosexuality in my face? I find it repulsive when I find Myspace pages (easy example) plastered with pics of women barely clothed in suggestive positions, even though I find it to be tasteless I put nude men on my Myspace for the sheer principal of it. If you have a bumper sticker that reads I Love Jesus then Ill have one that reads I Love Penis. Unless you're completely modest, opinionless and prideless then you can't tell anyone that they're flaunting anything. Im not being anything Im not, Im very proud of being gay, if given the chance to be born again straight I would never. Even though I have my little militant streak I dont own any gay pride paraphernalia, I just...dont like it...It's not me, Im not the kind to flash anything, but that doesn't mean Im not proud.

Why are people so concerned with being gay...Ive found that NOONE cares if youre gay or not (I live in Washington DC) though I do get stared at by tourists and whenever I make flight connections in the south I get dead stares by everyone, I made a connection in Pheonix, you'd think I was celebrity by the reactions I was getting...

Im new BTW...Hi...Im a killer queen, what about you?

Diorling said:
Im new BTW...Hi...Im a killer queen, what about you?

Welcome Diorling!!

Hope you enjoy your stay!

Personally, I have no problem with it if other gays/lesbians flaunt it. Why not? As you said, we get blatent Heterosexuality thrown in our faces at an alarming rate. It makes me uncomfortable, heck it even makes my straight son uncomfortable.
Other racial and ethnic groups flaunt their pride whenever possible, Mardi Gras and St. Patric's day come to mind.
Here in Chicago there's a parade for just about every ethnic and religious group you can think of. We have huge city sponsored festivals and foodfairs.

What I love about my city is not only do we celebrate ethnic, racial and religious groups, but we have a HUGE Pride parade and are honored to be hosting the 2006 Gay Games!!!! Not to mention we are in the middle of the bidding war to get the "big" Olympic Games here in 2012!! (Wish us luck!!!)

With so many things that have torn us apart as a nation, why not get back to celebrating who we are for a change? Why not be proud and happy we are here, queer and not going anywhere?!
Shouldn't we all find things to be happy and proud of?

The "gay voice" is funny to me. Diorling says he was born with it and I believe him. With that said, I tend to think that most people acquire that voice from peers. I have a friend who every time she spends a couple weeks in Kentucky she comes back with a twang in her voice. When I went to school I didn't know anyone with the "voice". Now that we are adults, some now have it. They obviously learned it. It doesn't really matter to me.

I am a straight man. My wife is a "fag hag". She loves the gay men in her life. Most of them don't have the "voice". The ones that do I can't stand. It has nothing to do with what they do with their genitalia. What some call "flamboyant" I call obnoxious. If they were female swimsuit models I still wouldn't like them. They appear to be attention whores. They are constantly screaming "look at me" with their actions and words. I liken it to the "Stella" type girls from New Jersey. They have the big hair, chomp their gum obnoxiously, and never shut up. Not every girl from New Jersey is a "Stella". Not every gay man is a drama queen. I just don't like obnoxious people.

If you had 10 people in a room, 9 were reserved and one is obnoxious, which would you remember most and talk about? It is the one that sticks in your mind. I don't have a problem with gay pride. Although I am not sure the parades really help the cause. It gives their opponents reason not to take them seriously. I still defend their right to march.

I tend to think that taking "pride" in something you are naturally is not the same as taking pride in your work or being proud of accomplishments. What is there to be proud about for simply being born. I am not proud that I am right-handed. I am not proud that I am white. I take pride in my accomplishments. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying being gay is easy. I am sure that it isn't. I think that it is an answer to being persecuted and made to feel ashamed of who they are by society. People want to treat them as second-class citizens and they are saying that they are not ashamed and are every bit as much of a person as a straight person is.

independent_thinker2002 said:
I tend to think that taking "pride" in something you are naturally is not the same as taking pride in your work or being proud of accomplishments. What is there to be proud about for simply being born. I am not proud that I am right-handed. I am not proud that I am white. I take pride in my accomplishments. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying being gay is easy. I am sure that it isn't. I think that it is an answer to being persecuted and made to feel ashamed of who they are by society. People want to treat them as second-class citizens and they are saying that they are not ashamed and are every bit as much of a person as a straight person is.

It's not so much that people want to treat gays/lesbians as second class citizens...it's moreover, they do.

Whether it's out of some sort religious/moral higher ground they feel they have or out of political/social pressure to "fit in", we gays/lesbians are indeed caste' into a second class status. We're not allowed to marry our devoted partners, we can't carry our families on our healthcare coverage unless we have specific proof they are ours biologically, we're prohibited from adopting in several states...and you want to complain about a few outspoken "flamboyant" or (as you call them)"Stella" gays?

Oh, give it a rest will you?

So if you don't like Gay Pride Parades, don't go to them
If you don't like Gay Marriage, don't marry one.
If you don't like Gay Adoption, then don't be raised by one.
If gays and lesbians don't directly affect your life, lifestyle, quality of life or your relationships within your life...then what difference does it make?

If by saying you don't think people should celabrated who they are born as, does that also mean you don't attend Mardi Gras festivities, St. Patric's Day celebrations, Christmas? You can't say to a child that they aren't born into a society where EVERYONE (even several Jewish folks I know) celebrates Christmas that because your child hasn't made a concious decission to be or live as Christian that he/she cannot celebrate Christmas with you or your family....WOULD YOU?

{requests of Mod's to find a Grinch emote...}

JustineCredible said:
It's not so much that people want to treat gays/lesbians as second class citizens...it's moreover, they do.

Whether it's out of some sort religious/moral higher ground they feel they have or out of political/social pressure to "fit in", we gays/lesbians are indeed caste' into a second class status. We're not allowed to marry our devoted partners, we can't carry our families on our healthcare coverage unless we have specific proof they are ours biologically, we're prohibited from adopting in several states...and you want to complain about a few outspoken "flamboyant" or (as you call them)"Stella" gays?

you were making sense until you got to that last sentance. the adoptee has no choice in the matter.

star2589 said:
you were making sense until you got to that last sentance. the adoptee has no choice in the matter.

No? Really? I had no idea....

It's called a joke, I was trying to bring a touch of levity to my rant. I just thought it needed. Oh well, I see it fell on deaf ear/blind eyes.
C'est la guerre.

JustineCredible said:

Yes, they do treat them differently. Just like people treat me differently for not fitting into their tidy little social construct. Being a man with long hair has it's prejudices also. Granted, they aren't anywhere as extreme as LGBT community. Though I have spent time in Boystown and have been treated differently. I chalk that up as a defense from dealing with the usual straight homophobes.

JustineCredible said:

Whoa! Hold on just a minute! If you have read any of my posts regarding homosexual rights you would understand that I am on your side. I most certainly did not call any homosexuals "Stellas". I was illustrating a point that I don't like obnoxious people. I don't care what their sexual orientation or gender is. And even then, I don't treat obnoxious people as second class citizens. The topic came up in this thread. Most people are not obnoxious, even in the LGBT community. I am sorry that I had the audacity to express my opinion about obnoxious people in a thread that it had come up in.

JustineCredible said:

Give what a rest? I say that I don't like obnoxious people and you want to react like I am the leader of a gay bashing group. I challenge you to find any post of mine bashing homosexuals.

JustineCredible said:
If gays and lesbians don't directly affect your life, lifestyle, quality of life or your relationships within your life...then what difference does it make?

When did I say I don't like gay parades, marriages, adoption, or anything of the sort? I said that I don't believe the parades are helping the cause. I didn't see you jump down Sir Alec's throat when he said the same thing. Is this a double standard?

JustineCredible said:
If by saying you don't think people should celabrated who they are born as, does that also mean you don't attend Mardi Gras festivities, St. Patric's Day celebrations, Christmas? You can't say to a child that they aren't born into a society where EVERYONE (even several Jewish folks I know) celebrates Christmas that because your child hasn't made a concious decission to be or live as Christian that he/she cannot celebrate Christmas with you or your family....WOULD YOU?

I didn't say that people shouldn't celebrate who they are. I just said that it was a different "pride". Funny you should ask, I have been to a gay pride parade. I have never been to Mardi Gras or a St. Patty's day parade. I have and do celebrate the commercial holiday of x-mas though. May I also add that I am an atheist. People can celebrate whatever they want to. Please tell me where I said that they can't.

I apologize for my questioning what is there to be proud about for just being born. In retrospect it was insensitive. For all of the BS that the LGBT community has had to endure that is an accomplishment in itself. I was just trying to take a philosophical angle on the word pride. Obviously it was a disaster.

P.S. "fag hag" was not meant to be derogatory. It is the term used in the community and by my wife. I didn't coin the phrase. It wasn't meant to offend.

Back
Top Bottom