• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gay people are hardwired

Gay people are born/hardwired to be gay

• I watched the videos, and I agree

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I didn't watch the videos, and I agree

Votes: 13 39.4%
  • I watched the videos, and I disagree

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • I didn't watch the videos, and I disagree

• I still don't know

• Don't know, and further don't care

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Other (there's always one ....)

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
John Barrowman made a documentary, You'll need about 15 minutes to watch all 3.

I'm having a Beavis & Butthead flashback. How bizarre. Good show, though I preferred Ren & Stimpy.

You're fired.

You%27re%20fired.jpg

Not all people who are into men are gay or hardwired.

Agreed, Orion. But I believe a significant number of gays and lesbians are hardwired. Some choose, but they have to be wired just the same.

Thinking of this from your own sexuality perspective. I am straight. I (in my mind) am bi-curious, but have never acted on it and likely never would.

My sister is a lesbian. She didn't admit it or come out until she was in her late-20's. She has a son in his early-30's. I really don't know if she is hardwired or that's just a path she took.

but a handful verses in the bible say it's an abomination, surely we should use it as our reference as to how we treat gays!

I go with what Jesus said regarding gays. Okay, it wasn't gays, it was everybody. "Love, as you love yourself."

but a handful verses in the bible say it's an abomination, surely we should use it as our reference as to how we treat gays!

Ever heard of Andrea Gibson?

Agreed, Orion. But I believe a significant number of gays and lesbians are hardwired. Some choose, but they have to be wired just the same.

Thinking of this from your own sexuality perspective. I am straight. I (in my mind) am bi-curious, but have never acted on it and likely never would.

My sister is a lesbian. She didn't admit it or come out until she was in her late-20's. She has a son in his early-30's. I really don't know if she is hardwired or that's just a path she took.

I was actually just thinking about this when I was at the boardwalk yesterday checking out people going by. There are gay men who have a specific type of facial template that I see everywhere in the gay community. Its their shape of their head, their smile, their nose, their body frame and the way they carry it. In modern science it's unPC to mention such things, and this may not be something I can really transmit to others but it has been an observation of mine for a long time. When I meet people who have that facial structure, I know right away that they're gay before they open their mouths. I don't even have to rely on gaydar, I can just tell.

Even though not all men I've dated have these facial templates, there is definitely a pattern I see. The ones that don't have these templates tend to be at a different spectrum on the sexuality scale, IMO, even though they choose to identify with the label "gay". These ones usually admit that they've had experiences with women in the past before they "decided" they prefer men, or they came out late.

I really do think that the labeling scheme makes the matter too confusing. A definitive label doesn't allow people to really self-examine where they are on the sexuality spectrum, and even if they do, most people's place on that spectrum doesn't remain static. I think there are people who are truly close to being 100% gay and if our society didn't have same-sex norms they would just be single their whole lives; but not everyone rests on that spectrum. Also, it fails to account for what people feel like doing in the moment, as it restricts their actions to a rule set. I think without the social rules, many, many more people would be open to experimenting or being with the same-sex in the moment.

My sister came out as gay when she was 21. Then went into a phase where she dated men and called herself straight. Then ended up with women again. Now she's married to a man and has a kid. She told me she just stopped trying to choose a label. I asked her, "Why don't you just identify as bisexual?" She said, "Because maybe today, I'm straight. Maybe today I only want to be with a man. Maybe tomorrow it would only be with a woman, and the day after I am having attractions to either. On some days I feel completely asexual and don't want to be with anyone. On any given day my sexuality feels concrete. So to say that I'm bisexual each and every day is wrong."

I think people should just stop making weird rules about how they should behave and do what they want, but I acknowledge that my ideas may be too advanced for a society that is still having trouble acknowledging that same-sex attractions are normal.

I wish more high-brow posters would add their 2 cents.

I know, right? :) By the way; your PM box is full.

I think people should just stop making weird rules about how they should behave and do what they want, but I acknowledge that my ideas may be too advanced for a society that is still having trouble acknowledging that same-sex attractions are normal.

^^^This.

I don't really care if being gay is a choice or not. It doesn't matter. We should all be free to be whatever we want to be on any given day. A lot of people are like your sister. They're not really able to define themselves sexually and I don't think they should ever be expected to.

^^^This.

I don't really care if being gay is a choice or not. It doesn't matter. We should all be free to be whatever we want to be on any given day. A lot of people are like your sister. They're not really able to define themselves sexually and I don't think they should ever be expected to.

Thanks.

When I was in China there were a few very attractive Chinese men that I met who were very flirly with me. I'm not normally into Asian guys but every now and then there are a few lookers who come my way. They were super flirtatious, asking me out for drinks, asking me if I had a girlfriend. It was so obvious that they were "gay"... but every time I asked them if they had a boyfriend, or they were seeing a guy, or if they were gay, they became offended and stopped talking to me. It was through these hard lessons that I eventually learned that "gay" is an identity that we choose in the western world. It is new and not historically normal to adhere to such labels.

"Gay" people in traditional Asia don't see themselves as gay. As soon as you ask them if they are gay, it conjures images of all of the queer men in North America and Europe who dance in their underwear on floats on pride day. They immediately reject the notion. But they still sleep with men, even if they are fulfilling their traditional obligation of marrying a woman and having a child. They simply don't call it anything or choose an identity based on their behavior.

I think our world would be a lot better off without the labels. Even if I'm into men 100% of the time, why should I call myself gay?

Again, I think this discussion is an advanced level for people to grasp, but before our society ever had "gay", it had men who slept with men in secret. Perhaps all these labels will just be an issue before they are eventually a non-issue, and people come to realize that sexuality is this fluidic, nebulous collection of desires that don't need to have a specific rationale.

Last edited:
Orion, that makes sense right across the board. Especially in America, where a rather large segment of the population uses labels to decide how they think. It's not even actually thinking, it's reacting. I think that's part of why Andrea Gibson (whom I love) uses the term Queer so regularly. It's just one of the labels that people react to in a certain way, but if they are listening to her they have to see that :shrug: she is who she is, and 'queer' is just a part of it. She is brilliant, intelligent, funny, quick-witted, loving, open, honest - and that's just what I learned watching her videos and doing a bit of net research.

Orion, that makes sense right across the board. Especially in America, where a rather large segment of the population uses labels to decide how they think. It's not even actually thinking, it's reacting. I think that's part of why Andrea Gibson (whom I love) uses the term Queer so regularly. It's just one of the labels that people react to in a certain way, but if they are listening to her they have to see that :shrug: she is who she is, and 'queer' is just a part of it. She is brilliant, intelligent, funny, quick-witted, loving, open, honest - and that's just what I learned watching her videos and doing a bit of net research.

Less commonly, I've heard the word "omni" used, for omnisexual. Meaning "one sexuality", which we all have, regardless of how we choose to use it.

So stroke another man's dick because I stroke my own?

GEEZUS CAWT TEH GAI.

no doubt this man is a product of the great state of Alabama.

*ALSO*

Everybody has had sexual thoughts about their same sex, go ahead and deny it but it has popped into everyone's mind at least once. So it isn't far fetched at all to think people can be born Gay considering heterosexual people have gay thoughts from time to time.

Last edited:
The problem with absolute statements is that people are not absolute. People are gay for any number of reasons, and possibly genetics. Since being gay is something self-identified, it makes it incredibly hard to draw many conclusions from research on the topic.

Did you watch the videos?

In a free society it matters not if being ‘gay’ is a choice or natural. Just like what two consenting heterosexual adults do sexually is none of my business, the same goes for two consenting homosexual adults. I could go on and on but, it all comes down to individual liberty and their free choices to act consensually with another individual.

Back
Top Bottom