• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

gay marriage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Gay marriage

No, it won't. How would allowing two consenting adults to marry make it so that we would have to let people who want to marry an animal who can't consent?

You can't say gay marriage is wrong because you think something might come up after it.

You really have no idea of whats going on.

http://www.worldmagblog.com/blog/archives/002970.html
Woman marries herself

Singles frustrated with trying to find a spouse now have a solution, thanks to the new re-definitions of marriage. A woman in the Netherlands is getting married to herself. 30-year-old Jennifer Hoes has set the date for May 28. She has her wedding dress, her friends and family have their invitations, and the dinner will cost $22,000. The wedding itself will be in the city hall of Harleem. Apparently, in the anything-goes marriage laws of the Netherlands, the wedding will be legal.

She told Dutch and German newspapers that she will vow to "love, respect and honor" herself in good times and in bad. "We live in a 'Me' society," she said. "Hence it is logical that one promises to be faithful to oneself."

All of this leads UPI religion editor Uwe Siemon-Netto, who reported the story, to wonder:

To the people who don't agree with gay marrige:

IF YOU DONT AGREE WITH GAY MARRIGE, DONT MARRY YOUR OWN SEX, AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. Its been prooven that you are born gay. It is uncontrolable. That is like hating someone because of their skin (and as all of you know...that led to alot of unjust loss of life).

To gay people: You dont have to think that you cant be execpted into God kingdom because of your sexual preference. God loves everyone. And simply remember what Jesus said, If you want to go to heaven, follow the commandments, and all you know, he summed up the commandments into the golden rule: Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.

peace (out)

"The legal union of a MAN and a WOMAN" - Direct from dictionary.com

By allowing gay "marriage" you would change the definition & meaning of the word "marriage" itself. Gay "Marriage" is impossible....

As for how it could destroy someone's marriage personally....I think "destroy" was just the wrong word choice. If it were allowed, I would feel that my marriage is less special, and feel a bit weird about the whole situation, and yes, it is just because that word would change meaning.

Maybe I can have the meaning of the words Weapons of Mass Destruction to include....Sand...then what do you know...There are pleanty of "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq.....See, changing definitions just doesn't work...If that did happen, all of the people against the ongoing war would feel abit weird about the whole situation, right?

ILIKEDUBYA: are u telling me that you dont agree with gays because of the word marrige. Would you like it if it were called the social engangment between a man and man resulting in commitment?

Why cant u just leave them alone.

ILikeDubyah said:

By allowing gay "marriage" you would change the definition & meaning of the word "marriage" itself. Gay "Marriage" is impossible....

Words take on new inclusions all the time...like cool to describe a hip person or hot to describe an attractive person...so whats your point about definition.

As for how it could destroy someone's marriage personally....I think "destroy" was just the wrong word choice. If it were allowed, I would feel that my marriage is less special, and feel a bit weird about the whole situation, and yes, it is just because that word would change meaning.

Then you go home and tell your wife tonight..."Honey, I think about what gay men do so much that if I knew they were getting married our relationship wouldnt be as special anymore. When gay men start getting married, I'm going to feel weird about us."

I'm sure that will make her very proud to be with you.

Maybe I can have the meaning of the words Weapons of Mass Destruction to include....Sand...then what do you know...There are pleanty of "weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq.....See, changing definitions just doesn't work...If that did happen, all of the people against the ongoing war would feel abit weird about the whole situation, right?

Smoke screens, red herrings, and revisionism do not make up for pure bigotry and prejudice.

ILikeDubyah said:

Now, let's look at more of the definition, again, from dictionary.com:

1. a. The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
b. The state of being married; wedlock.
c. A common-law marriage.
d. A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.

Gee, now we have same-sex marriage specifically mentioned in the definition of marriage.

No changing of the definition, just using the rest of it.

Using only part of the deifinition like that is known as a lie by omission...

Yep. Because Britney Spears' heterosexual, 55-hour, drunken and on-a-whim Vegas marriage was legitimate and sacred.

My solution to that is is to ban hollywood marriages or make them sign a life time contract that if there is a divorce they shall be imprisoned.

To the people who don't agree with gay marrige:

To gay people: You dont have to think that you cant be execpted into God kingdom because of your sexual preference. God loves everyone. And simply remember what Jesus said, If you want to go to heaven, follow the commandments, and all you know, he summed up the commandments into the golden rule: Do onto others as you would have them do onto you.

To the morons who want to bastardize marriage.The only gay marriage I support is a gay man marrying a gay woman.For you stupid morons who beleave God loves everyone is a excuse to let people do what ever they want read the bible.No where does it say love the individual and let them continue
on sinning.Do you think he burned down Sodam and Gamora for the **** of it.
IF YOU DONT AGREE WITH GAY MARRIGE, DONT MARRY YOUR OWN SEX, AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS.
If want to be married marry someone of the oppissite sex.

Its been prooven that you are born gay. It is uncontrolable. That is like hating someone because of their skin (and as all of you know...that led to alot of unjust loss of life).

Another liberal spits on the legitimate minorities by comparing behavior to race.All behavior is controllable.No body points a gun at your head and tells you to be a fudge packer.

jamesrage said:
Another liberal spits on the legitimate minorities by comparing behavior to race.All behavior is controllable.No body points a gun at your head and tells you to be a fudge packer.

You realize that argument means that at any time you could choose to be gay?

jamesrage said:
To the morons who want to bastardize marriage.The only gay marriage I support is a gay man marrying a gay woman.For you stupid morons who beleave God loves everyone is a excuse to let people do what ever they want read the bible.No where does it say love the individual and let them continue

Of course no one points a gun to your head and tells you to make ignorant slurs against a people but I must tolerate your right to do so. Or simply ignore your posts...thats my other option.

Likewise, you dont need to involve yourself in the affairs of gay men and women. You simply must tolerate our RIGHT to do as we please whether you think its by choice or not. Why is that you concern yourself so much with something you obviously abhor...avoidance seems so much more pleasant than dwelling on an issue that should not be so close to your heart. Is there something you want to tell us? Its ok if you are, we will still respect you anyway.:lol:

jamesrage said:

i just remembered why i vote Democrat. no matter how much idiot 15 year old marxists and snotty secular humanists **** me off, they'll never be as bad as jack asses like him.

I don't see why Gay Marriage should not be allowed, some have mentioned it will make their own marriage feel "less special" as ILikeDubyah put it. Why? Why would the knowledge that it is possible for two men, or two women who love each other to marry make you feel your own marriage is less special?

In terms of opening the floodgates, I don't see why. I also don't see how you can draw a parallel between two men / women consenting to marry, and a man and his horse. Both completely different scenarios.

theres no way people could hate gays so much if they ever took the time to get to know some

its like that for all minorities, if you live with them long enough you see the similarities we all share

IT HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN PROVEN THAT HUMAN BEINGS ARE BORN GAY AND THEY ARE BIOLOGICALLY GAY, SO THEY AREN'T CURSED BY THE DEVIL AND JESUS CAN'T SAVE THEM!!! So I guess that means that you Catholics out there are wrong once again. Maybe your God was wrong.

Duke

jamesrage said:

Does God hate? I mean really? From my own knowledge of the Bible I have interpreted that the Christian God's love is near unconditional.

John 3:16

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

Romans 5:8

But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

There are very few conditions.

What if you are in love with someone of the same sex? Is that love without any value or any merit?

Duke said:
IT HAS OFFICIALLY BEEN PROVEN THAT HUMAN BEINGS ARE BORN GAY AND THEY ARE BIOLOGICALLY GAY, SO THEY AREN'T CURSED BY THE DEVIL AND JESUS CAN'T SAVE THEM!!! So I guess that means that you Catholics out there are wrong once again. Maybe your God was wrong.

I've seen no such study. From the essays I've read(and I've read alot, I used to love psychology) there is no conclusive evidence to suggest such things. If memory serves, there is around a 60% chance that in the case of monozygotic twins one will be a homosexual if the other twin is. I believe that was the Minnesota University Twin study. I'd have to go dig around for my psych book, but I don't think that that number is conclusive of a homosexual "gene" or a "born gay" theory.

I've seen no such study. From the essays I've read(and I've read alot, I used to love psychology) there is no conclusive evidence to suggest such things. If memory serves, there is around a 60% chance that in the case of monozygotic twins one will be a homosexual if the other twin is. I believe that was the Minnesota University Twin study. I'd have to go dig around for my psych book, but I don't think that that number is conclusive of a homosexual "gene" or a "born gay" theory.[/QUOTE]

This is no "theory". A few weeks back, a Swedish study found that gay males react to male scent hormones, somthing that is BIOLOGICAL, not psychological.

Duke

Duke said:
I've seen no such study. From the essays I've read(and I've read alot, I used to love psychology) there is no conclusive evidence to suggest such things. If memory serves, there is around a 60% chance that in the case of monozygotic twins one will be a homosexual if the other twin is. I believe that was the Minnesota University Twin study. I'd have to go dig around for my psych book, but I don't think that that number is conclusive of a homosexual "gene" or a "born gay" theory.

This is no "theory". A few weeks back, a Swedish study found that gay males react to male scent hormones, somthing that is BIOLOGICAL, not psychological.[/QUOTE]

That sounds fascinating. Could you provide a link? Some sort of source?

First off, please show me proof its been "scientifically proven" that it is only something born into? I am curious here

Second off, I think "marrige" as a term should be pulled completely from the government. I believe that the government should simply replace all terms of "marrige" in its laws with "union". By presenting a note from a religious organization stating you are "married" is one way to apply for a "union" under the government. Having a "civil union" under the government...be it straight or gay, but basically between any two consenting people...is another way for a "union" to happen.

Marrige should be a religious institution, and as such, should not be forced to change from how it is. Marrige, in the religious terms, IS between a man and woman. HOWEVER, because the government uses the term as well, it gets sticky. This is why I think the government should replace the word marrige with union in its laws.

This way any two consenting people that wish to live and spend the rest of thier life together can get the tax breaks and benifits under the law that make life easier for them. However it doens't infringe upon the "sanctity" or religious marrige.

If homosexuals still demand...even if that happened...to be allowed to marry, then that is simply trying to change religion and they can do it through the religious people and not the government as its not the governments place to regulate religion.

Personally I think that is the best option. I do not believe homosexuals should be able to enter into a christian marrige, however I DO believe they should gain the benifits of a civil union under the law.

The polygamoy quesiton is a good one though, i'll think on that

Gandhi>Bush said:

It was actually 50%. But as far as genetics go, that is hugely significant. Other highly inheritable traits, such as...damn I'm going to slaughter this word...schitzophrenia, also have a 50% concurance rate in identical twins.

Kelzie said:
It was actually 50%. But as far as genetics go, that is hugely significant. Other highly inheritable traits, such as...damn I'm going to slaughter this word...schitzophrenia, also have a 50% concurance rate in identical twins.

I certainly think it's significant, I just don't think that's the definitive proof. From what I've heard, the Psychology community is still on the fence about the issue.

Zyphlin said:
First off, please show me proof its been "scientifically proven" that it is only something born into? I am curious here

Second off, I think "marrige" as a term should be pulled completely from the government. I believe that the government should simply replace all terms of "marrige" in its laws with "union". By presenting a note from a religious organization stating you are "married" is one way to apply for a "union" under the government. Having a "civil union" under the government...be it straight or gay, but basically between any two consenting people...is another way for a "union" to happen.

Marrige should be a religious institution, and as such, should not be forced to change from how it is. Marrige, in the religious terms, IS between a man and woman. HOWEVER, because the government uses the term as well, it gets sticky. This is why I think the government should replace the word marrige with union in its laws.

This way any two consenting people that wish to live and spend the rest of thier life together can get the tax breaks and benifits under the law that make life easier for them. However it doens't infringe upon the "sanctity" or religious marrige.

If homosexuals still demand...even if that happened...to be allowed to marry, then that is simply trying to change religion and they can do it through the religious people and not the government as its not the governments place to regulate religion.

Personally I think that is the best option. I do not believe homosexuals should be able to enter into a christian marrige, however I DO believe they should gain the benifits of a civil union under the law.

The polygamoy quesiton is a good one though, i'll think on that

I've put forth the same civil union/marriage argument before. It'll never work, it makes too much sense. :lol:

For everyone who thinks that sexual orientation is a choice, keep in mind that means that at any time you could decide to become gay.

Personally, I can't choose which traits in a woman I find attractive, let alone choosing which sex I'm attracted to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom