• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gay marriage should be a constitutional right in America

Gay marriage should be legal in America

• Yes

Votes: 43 69.4%
  • No

Votes: 19 30.6%

• Total voters

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
All in favor, all opposed. I'm not putting any other options. Don't vote if you can't choose one or the other.

Last edited:
Absolutely NO at the Constitutional level.
Of course YES on a common law basis.
Lets keep it this way.
And here, the Feds must stay out.
We have, in our nation far more important things to discuss and improve..

Why absolutely no to the constitutional level?

There will always be more important things to discuss when people want something back-burnered. Why would you wish for gay people not to have the full marital rights that straights do?

Absolutely NO at the Constitutional level.
Of course YES on a common law basis.
Lets keep it this way.
And here, the Feds must stay out.
We have, in our nation far more important things to discuss and improve..

Common law? Are you kidding me? That should be a choice for gays who don't want to jump through the hoops, but spend so much time together they are, in effect, married.

Marriage isn't a Constitutional right and should never become one.

Same-sex marriage, however, should absolutely be legal.

I'm confused, and willing to say so. Aren't gays denied the right to be married which is denying them their right to guaranteed civil rights under the constitution (somehow).

Lord, this is embarrassing, what with me starting the thread and all. /hangs head

I'm confused, and willing to say so. Aren't gays denied the right to be married which is denying them their right to guaranteed civil rights under the constitution (somehow).

Lord, this is embarrassing, what with me starting the thread and all. /hangs head

There is no right to be married to any person you choose. Marriage has always been subject to limitations. There is an argument that preventing gay marriage violates the equal protection clause of the Constitution, but that's different from saying that marriage itself is a right. Personally, I do not see any valid Constitutional argument that same-sex marriage is Constitutionally protected or that allowing it is Constitutionally necessary, but I support it as a matter of simple good policy.

No. But neither should straight marriage. I don't see any reason for the government to be involved in people's personal relationships at all. If people wish to live together and call themselves married, that's great. They can go down to their local church or mosque or Chuckee Cheeze and they'll do a little rain dance around them then poof they're married. Judges and lawyers don't need to be involved. Government should only look at a person as an individual.

Hospital visitation rights are an exception though and are really the only good reason I've seen for government to be involved with it, but I'm sure there's a better solution than marriage.

But as long as we're giving tax breaks to heterosexual married couples there's no reason we can't or shouldn't give them to gay couples.

Marriage is not a constitutional right, technically.

So therefore, neither should gay marriage.

The question should be: "Should gays have the same rights as straights to be married?"

If you make gay rights a constitutionally protected right, then it would be greater than straight marriage! See the confusion?

Look at it this way:

Driving your car isn't a constitutional right.

However, if the government allows people to drive cars, they cannot limit it in an unconstitutional way. They cannot say "all men can drive cars but women can't" or "only whites may drive cars."

So the argument is this: Being gay should be one of the unconstitutional prohibitions under the 14th amendment. We want all laws to never have a provision that says "Everyone can drive a car (or get married, or be in the army etc.) except gays."

Thank you. :) That makes comprehension much easier.

Look at it this way:

Driving your car isn't a constitutional right.

However, if the government allows people to drive cars, they cannot limit it in an unconstitutional way. They cannot say "all men can drive cars but women can't" or "only whites may drive cars."

So the argument is this: Being gay should be one of the unconstitutional prohibitions under the 14th amendment. We want all laws to never have a provision that says "Everyone can drive a car (or get married, or be in the army etc.) except gays."

Gay marriage is not a Constitutional right, nor should gay marriage ever be legalized. The homosexual union is not marriage nor can it properly fit the definition of the legal heterosexual one. If anything, civil unions identical to marriage would be acceptable.

Personally, I would say no.

But only because I don't think straight marriage should be legal either.

Or rather, because I don't think the government should be involved with determining who is or is not married.

Rather, I would prefer that if the government wished to promote stable households (and consequently, taxpayers), they would simply offer tax breaks to those person or persons who fit the parameters they required.

Gay marriage is not a Constitutional right, nor should gay marriage ever be legalized. The homosexual union is not marriage nor can it properly fit the definition of the legal heterosexual one. If anything, civil unions identical to marriage would be acceptable.

Blah blah blah, yeah, we've all heard it before.

Get used to it, it's going to happen, it already has in many places and somehow it's been perfectly legal and accepted.

Come join us in the 21st century.

Is straight marriage a constitutional right?

Same sex marriage should be a right as long as opposite sex marriage is considered one.

OMG! I've been at this half of last night and all of today, and THAT statement is what it all boils down to. Thank you.

Same sex marriage should be a right as long as opposite sex marriage is considered one.

If you are going to call marriage a Constitutional right, then it has to apply equally to every citizen..... including a new born baby.

Any one want to re-think their yes vote?

Nope. Mostly because that made NO sense.

If you are going to call marriage a Constitutional right, then it has to apply equally to every citizen..... including a new born baby.

Any one want to re-think their yes vote?

ohh sheesh what a red herring.

Nope. Mostly because that made NO sense.

Are you saying that a baby isn't a citizen? Are you saying that a Constitutional right shouldn't apply to all citizens? Which part don't you get?

All in favor, all opposed. I'm not putting any other options. Don't vote if you can't choose one or the other.
Arent you asking two questions?

[should] Gay marriage be legal in America?
[should] Gay marriage be a constitutional right in America?

The asnwer to #1 is up to each state
The answer to #2 is no, as marriage is a privilege, not a right.

Are you saying that a baby isn't a citizen? Are you saying that a Constitutional right shouldn't apply to all citizens? Which part don't you get?

Are you saying a baby is able to enter into a legal contract? This is almost as stupid as "Obama is not a natural born citizen".

Back
Top Bottom