• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Gay marriage on the ballot in 11 states

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Source: Yahoo News

[size=-1] While Iraq (news - web sites) and the economy dominate the national debate this election year, same-sex marriage has emerged as a central issue in 11 states where voters will decide whether to ban such unions.
[/size]
[size=-1] These states are following Louisiana and Missouri, which this year approved state constitutional amendments that define marriage as the union of a man and a woman. [/size]

[size=-1] Supporters of the proposed state amendments say they are responding to the Massachusetts court decision last November that legalized gay marriage in that state, and to the actions of local officials in Oregon, California and New Jersey who issued marriage licenses to gay couples earlier this year.[/size]

It is pathetic that we are trying to take away rights of human people. I thought since we created the constituition it should be to give rights, not take them away. All it is is the religious right-wing fanatics who must say, God says gays are unnatural so they don't deserve to live. It is cool to believe in God but at least think for yourself.

And that article supports my claim in a different topic that Karl Rove is a conniving bastard.

**EDIT**
I fixed it JUST for you.

Last edited:
heyjoeo first of all it is spelled conniving not coniviving. for being such a little bitch over my grammer you should have known that. and second with your stance on gay marriage you seem heterophobic

At least I use proper capitalization and can spell the word celebrating. I can use punctuation also.

If I was heterophobic, I would have to be scared of myself. That doesn't make any sense.

Oooohh I'm telling! You said bitch! *points finger angerly* I'm gonna tell! How old are you again?

WHAT I FIND SO STRANGE ABOUT ALL THE PEOPLE / BIGOT'S SAY THAT MARRIAGE CAN ONLY BE A MAN AND A WOMAN !!!!. WHY IS IT THESE SAME PEOPLE NEVER SAID A WORD WHEN A 85 YEAR OLD MAN CAN MARRIE A 22 YEAR OLD WOMAN "" AND HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS MY PARENTS WHO HAD 15 CHILDREN AND STAYED MARRIED UNTIL DEAT DID THEM PART ""'

WHY DID'NT THEY SAY SOMETHING WHEN A CONVICTED RAPIEST CAN GET MARRIED "" AND HAVE THE SAME RIGHT'S AS MY BROTHER & HIS WIFE WHO HE RECENTLY BURRIED AFTER 48 YEARS OF MARRIGE ""

WHY DID'NT THEY SAY ANYTHING WHEN A MAN OR WOMAN CAN MARRIE 3-5-7-10 TIMES AND HAVE " AND HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS MY SISTER IN-LAW WHO SEVERAL YEARS AGO HAD TO BURRIE MY BROTHER AFTER 46 YEARS OF MARRIGE ""AND HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS ANY MARRIED PERSON ""

SO WHAT THESE BIGOTS ARE TELLING US; YOU CAN BE A MURDER , A RAPPIEST , A CHILD MOLESTER ,

YOU CAN BE THE WORSE PIECE OF GARBARG IN THE WORLD AND GET MARRIED AND STILL HAVE THE SAME RIGHTS AS EVERYONE ELES

HOWEVER IF YOU ARE GAY YOU CAN NOT HAVE THESE SAME RIGHTS

P.S PLEASE EXCUSE ANY SPELLING & GRAMER ERRORS!!

YES YOU MAY EMAIL ME AT prsaia1@aol.com

P.S. The Caps lock button is located under Tab and above Shift.

It's because America is no longer a nation in which everyone makes their own decisions.

We are now a nation in which the government makes decisions based on the views of the majority of the people. If you don't think like that majority, you are screwed.

Gabo said:
It's because America is no longer a nation in which everyone makes their own decisions.

We are now a nation in which the government makes decisions based on the views of the majority of the people. If you don't think like that majority, you are screwed.

I really don't think that the whole gay marriage thing would have happened during the early years of our country. While there was no law forbidding it, there weren't any being performed either. If a gay partnership could travel back in time to the early 1800's I don't see the government allowing them to get hitched.

Hi Gabo / mect This is so called progress guess ?? in the earily year of this country . Woman did not have the right to vote, we had slavery , Black could not marrie whites , Only rich land owners had the right to vote,

Do I have to go on I'm sure you get my point ?

Please remember religion's can make all the rules it want's t and it does!

We are talking about Federal and State laws here

Just look who we allow to get married by Federal and state laws .

1) A murder can get married 2) A child molster can get married 3) A rapiest can get Married

In most religions ( As far as I know) these people can not get married

Again please excuse speeling / gramer

There's no reason for marriage to be connected with state at all.

And when you look back then, sure we DID have unfair treatment of people, but that wouldn't happen now as long as we follow our Constitution.

But at least back then the people that did have freedom actually could do anything they wanted as long as it didn't harm others.

All we needed to do was punish the people that tried slavery, and get rid of the regulations on voting. We DID NOT need discriminitory laws, marriage laws, and other random government regulations bogging us down.

Marriage back then was a new taxation and a way to keep promoting the family structure.

I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I approved of how everything used to be. I agree, in many ways our country has progressed since that time. In other ways, I feel that our country has regressed.

vauge said:
Marriage back then was a new taxation and a way to keep promoting the family structure.
Then that means it was government trying to control its people.

I don't think that exactly comes to mind when one thinks of the word "freedom".

Gabo said:
Then that means it was government trying to control its people.

I don't think that exactly comes to mind when one thinks of the word "freedom".

The exact opposite is anarchy (another thread). You HAVE to have at least minimal control of the citizens because alot of us are not smart enough to control ourselves.

I don't think involving marriage as part of the law is essential for our well being.

Back
Top Bottom