• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Gay Marriage - Closest Forum I Found

thatguymd

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Believe it or not I actually managed to come to a conclusion that doesn't agree with either side (that I've heard anyway).

Here are my thoughts:

To get to some common ground you must first decide why the government recognizes heterosexual marriage. Why would they care about an institution based on love?

Whatever you come up with you need to then decide why that should be exclusive to whatever group you think it should be restricted to (for most people that is either just straight or just straight and gay). So why can't there be more than two people? Why should we restrict minors at all? Or any other restriction you can think of.

I couldn't think of a solid reason that marriage of any kind should be recognized. So my conclusion is to get rid of all marriage (equal rights for all) and leave the marriages to other institutions. Am I missing a good reason why marriage should be recognized?

Back
Top Bottom