• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gay Man Being Deported Because Marriage Not Recognized

Demon of Light

Bohemian Revolutionary
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Henry Velandia and Josh Vandiver married in Montville, Connecticut on August 29, 2010. Henry Velandia is in deportation proceedings because the Defense of Marriage Act prevents Josh Vandiver from sponsoring him for residency.

Henry Velandia was born in Venezuela. He came to America in 2002. He is a salsa dancer and teacher, performed on Univision's Mira Quien Baila, and is the founder of HotSalsaHot dance school.

Vandiver goes before his immigration judge in Newark, N.J., on November 17, 2010.

Source: Fox New York

As far as I am concerned this is a simple matter of state's rights. The Federal Government is abusing its power by saying a couple legally married in a state do not have recognition from the federal government. This is a clear cut constitutional issue IMO.

This, to me, says that while we've made significant strides in how we treat gays in this country, we still have a long way to go. We still feel like gays are second class citizens that dont deserve the protection that others get

I wonder if he's going to dress up as Prancer for halloween

Source: Fox New York

As far as I am concerned this is a simple matter of state's rights. The Federal Government is abusing its power by saying a couple legally married in a state do not have recognition from the federal government. This is a clear cut constitutional issue IMO.

Sounds pretty cut and dry to me........If the state they were so called married in does not recognize gay marriage then the marriage is not legal and the individual should be deported..........

Sounds pretty cut and dry to me........If the state they were so called married in does not recognize gay marriage then the marriage is not legal and the individual should be deported..........

They were married in Connecticut dude.

All the bitchin you do about gay rights issues and you don't even know which states have same sex marriage?

But it does.

This, to me, says that while we've made significant strides in how we treat gays in this country, we still have a long way to go. We still feel like gays are second class citizens that dont deserve the protection that others get

I think his husband should sue. This is the kind of case you can take to the Supreme Court to get DOMA overturned.

Back
Top Bottom