• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gay culture or Death culture?

CriticalThought

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I'm at my wit's end with gay culture. Promiscuity and unsafe sex are rampant and fueling the spread of HIV. Gay culture has returned to the culture of death that it was in the 80s.

There is a fatalism about it. Many of the gay men I meet nowadays believe that they are going to get the disease if they haven't already and have no desire to know whether they have the disease and are spreading it. As my gay roommate puts it, "I don't intend to live to old age." Even on Craigslist there are literally thousands of men seeking men for unsafe sex only.

What can you do about a culture that has become completely ambivalent to the disease it is helping carry and spread?

The antiviral medications that were hailed as the greatest innovation against the disease have aided in its spread by focusing efforts towards treatment rather than prevention. The medications do not last forever and eventually people do succumb to the virus at a younger age than they would had they not become infected.

The only solutions I can perceive at this point are monogamy or celibacy. Either you don't have sex or you only have sex within a committed relationship. At this point to be truly safe within a relationship gay men have to forgo unsafe sex with each other until both partners have been tested 6 months after their last sexual contact with someone outside the relationship. It can take up to 6 months for antibodies to show up on an HIV test.

I used to think condoms were an answer, but if you don't have one available or you unwisely choose to trust the person you are with then you still fall into trouble. The lack of spontaneity and the interruption of sexual activities also make condoms unattractive options. And then there is the difference of sensation.

What can be done?

CDC: Gay, bisexual men account for more than 50% of HIV cases

foodconsumer.org - CDC: Gay, bisexual men account for more than 50% of HIV cases

September 27, 2010 is National Gay Men’s HIV/AIDS Awareness Day (NGMHAAD)—a day to not only bring attention to and promote understanding of the disproportionate burden of HIV among gay and bisexual men, but also to recommit ourselves to the fight to end this devastating epidemic.

The rate of new HIV infection in the U.S. is increasing among only one risk group: gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM). More than half (57%) of those with new HIV infections in the U.S. each year and more than half (53%) of people living with HIV in the U.S. are gay or bisexual men or MSM who inject drugs. Vast disparities in infection rates exist across racial, ethnic, geographic, and age groups, and barriers to HIV testing result in a high proportion of infected men who are not aware of their infection.

Alberta expert fears HIV ambivalence

Alberta expert fears HIV ambivalence | Mindelle Jacobs | Columnists | Comment | Edmonton Sun

A study that found almost 20% of gay men in major U.S. cities are HIV-positive may be troubling but it's not surprising in light of unsafe sexual practices, say Canadian experts.

Not only that, there's no reason to believe the situation is less alarming in Canada, they warn.

It's unclear what percentage of the male homosexual population in Alberta is infected with HIV, says Dr. Stan Houston, director of the northern Alberta HIV program.

Young gay men fueling HIV epidemic, study warns

Young gay men fuelling HIV epidemic, study warns | Society | The Guardian

The HIV epidemic in Europe, including the UK, is being fueled by the risky behaviour of young gay men, according to research published today.

Public messages and campaigns about the dangers of unsafe sex do not appear to be getting through to men who have sex with men, the researchers say – particularly the young ones.

By investigating the genetic profile of the virus in more than 500 newly screened patients over nine years, scientists in Belgium have identified clusters of people with type B virus – not the one that is most prevalent in Africa.

Those infected are almost all white, male, gay and young, they say. These men also tend to have other sexual diseases, such as syphillis, which suggests that they are involved in unsafe sexual behaviour and are not using condoms.

I think gay couples should get married.

Go to Canada or one of the US States that allow gay marriage and get hitched. Monogamy is the answer here. Men want to have a lot of sex and they should do so in a committed relationship. Also, we don't have a cure yet and AIDs is not the only disease people can get or transmit through unsafe sex. Both Gays and Straights need to have more protected sex and stay in monogamous relationships. Gays are in the same boat as evangelical Christians who don't believe that Condoms work.

Teen pregnancy and STD rates are high in communities that don't use condoms. This isn't just a gay problem.

Same Sex Marriage. Thats the answer.

Also proper sex education, with the horrid state of our countries sex education system it's hard enough for straight kids to know how to use a condom. But homosexuality is not discussed in today's schools alot of gays kids either tune out, or don't think that applies to them. Better sex education, means less STD's it's that simple.

Last edited:
I'm at my wit's end with gay culture. Promiscuity and unsafe sex are rampant and fueling the spread of HIV. Gay culture has returned to the culture of death that it was in the 80s.

Crit...I dunno what kind of gay men you hang out with, but everyone that I know is compulsive about condom use and being safe. It may just be younger gay men as all my associations are with guys no younger than 27 really. I find that gay men in their 30's are paranoid about STD's, as they should be.

Promiscuity is a male thing, not a specifically gay male thing. Men who have sex with men are going to have a lot of it because its men...and men don't really say no very often. You just have to be smart and protect yourself and, if you have one, your partner and not worry about what others are doing. Protection and sexual hygeine are a personal responsibility. Treat it like that and you will be fine.

I'm sure that the promiscuity and unsafe sex rampant among heterosexuals are fueling the spread of HIV as well.

There is a fatalism about it. Many of the gay men I meet nowadays believe that they are going to get the disease if they haven't already and have no desire to know whether they have the disease and are spreading it. As my gay roommate puts it, "I don't intend to live to old age." Even on Craigslist there are literally thousands of men seeking men for unsafe sex only.

What can you do about a culture that has become completely ambivalent to the disease it is helping carry and spread?

The antiviral medications that were hailed as the greatest innovation against the disease have aided in its spread by focusing efforts towards treatment rather than prevention. The medications do not last forever and eventually people do succumb to the virus at a younger age than they would had they not become infected.

The only solutions I can perceive at this point are monogamy or celibacy. Either you don't have sex or you only have sex within a committed relationship. At this point to be truly safe within a relationship gay men have to forgo unsafe sex with each other until both partners have been tested 6 months after their last sexual contact with someone outside the relationship. It can take up to 6 months for antibodies to show up on an HIV test.

I used to think condoms were an answer, but if you don't have one available or you unwisely choose to trust the person you are with then you still fall into trouble. The lack of spontaneity and the interruption of sexual activities also make condoms unattractive options. And then there is the difference of sensation.

What can be done?
Well, for one we can stop listening to this kind of crap.

All I see here are a pile of suppositions based on an admittedly slanted viewpoint

I personally am at MY wit's end dealing with people who seem to have all this knowledge about the gay community....culled from NARTH or FOF reports and one gay co-worker.

Well, for one we can stop listening to this kind of crap.

All I see here are a pile of suppositions based on an admittedly slanted viewpoint

I personally am at MY wit's end dealing with people who seem to have all this knowledge about the gay community....culled from NARTH or FOF reports and one gay co-worker.

Huh? Nothing I said came from NARTH or FOF? These are CDC reportts.

Better drug treatment at the community level. Methadone clinics open 24/7, rehab and re-entry (halfway houses, sober living and job placement) facilities available for all. HIV and dirty needles are best friends...if people feel they'll die anyway whether it's drugs or HIV that kills them, then that's where the epidemic can be stifled best.

Accuse me of pie-in-the-sky but it is what we need.

Regards from Rosie

Huh? Nothing I said came from NARTH or FOF? These are CDC reportts.
They are indeed, but the articles conveniently steer around some serious obstacles.

One article said the rate of infection was increasing. Is it increasing because more men have come out as gay with the social stigma being lifted thereby moving people from the straight infected category to the gay infected category?

Better drug treatment at the community level. Methadone clinics open 24/7, rehab and re-entry (halfway houses, sober living and job placement) facilities available for all. HIV and dirty needles are best friends...if people feel they'll die anyway whether it's drugs or HIV that kills them, then that's where the epidemic can be stifled best.

Accuse me of pie-in-the-sky but it is what we need.

Regards from Rosie

I'm not so sure Rosie. I'm starting to think I should look at this from the perspective of natural selection. Some people are going to make poor choices and are going to die as a result. Most people are informed and know the risks and choose to go out and do it anyways. It is what it is.

They are indeed, but the articles conveniently steer around some serious obstacles.

One article said the rate of infection was increasing. Is it increasing because more men have come out as gay with the social stigma being lifted thereby moving people from the straight infected category to the gay infected category?

I have not seen any statistics that suggest that the number of men who openly identify as gay has dramatically increased, so I have no reason to believe that is a viable option.

Why can't you just accept that gays are practicing unsafe sex and its leading to higher and higher levels of HIV infection.

I have not seen any statistics that suggest that the number of men who openly identify as gay has dramatically increased, so I have no reason to believe that is a viable option.
Logically, as our society has become more open to gays in the last several decades, the number of men willing to openly identify as gay will increase as the years go by.

Same Sex Marriage. Thats the answer.

Well, actually, it's not, you can be monogamous without marriage, and you can unfaithful in marriage.

Also proper sex education, with the horrid state of our countries sex education system it's hard enough for straight kids to know how to use a condom. But homosexuality is not discussed in today's schools alot of gays kids either tune out, or don't think that applies to them. Better sex education, means less STD's it's that simple.

That's the answer.

Well, actually, it's not, you can be monogamous without marriage, and you can unfaithful in marriage.

That's the answer.

There's no fear anymore. People living with HIV can live almost as long as anyone that has never had it. I know a gay dude that has had HIV for 20 years, and is 53.

Two words, CT. Bug Chasing! There are those in the gay culture actually, and actively spreading it, and there are those that are actively chasing it? Odd, but reality. The danger, mixed with alcohol, drugs, and stygma for not going "bareback" is enough to perpertuate the problem.

The answer? Madatory HIV testing, but it will never happen.

Sad...

Tim-

The answer? Madatory HIV testing, but it will never happen.

Actually that is the solution. Not the state doing it, but that is how it needs to be taught to gay men.

Anyone you are with needs to get tested and if you are engaging in sex without knowing your partner's status then you are doing so at your own risk.

That should be the question any guys asks before he hits the hay with another guy. When were you last tested?

Last edited:
maybe if gays would actually admit that there was a freaking problem instead of trying to blame everything on homophobia and discrimination it might make a difference.

how's that old saying go? The first step to finding a cure/solution is admitting that you have a problem

What can be done?

CDC: Gay, bisexual men account for more than 50% of HIV cases

foodconsumer.org - CDC: Gay, bisexual men account for more than 50% of HIV cases

Alberta expert fears HIV ambivalence

Alberta expert fears HIV ambivalence | Mindelle Jacobs | Columnists | Comment | Edmonton Sun

Young gay men fueling HIV epidemic, study warns

Young gay men fuelling HIV epidemic, study warns | Society | The Guardian

WTF..... Give me a break.

WTF..... Give me a break.

as I said, step 1: admit there is a problem.

all the scientific evidence clearly shows that men who have sex with men are at higher risk of HIV than any other demographic in the US. That is not homophobia or bigotry, just plain simple fact. saying "WTF...Give me a break" does nothing to change the facts OR help solve the problem.

maybe if gays would actually admit that there was a freaking problem instead of trying to blame everything on homophobia and discrimination it might make a difference.

how's that old saying go? The first step to finding a cure/solution is admitting that you have a problem

There is a culture of victimization among gays. We need a survivor culture. We need gays to stand up to discrimination and sexual irresponsibility. In the memory of the people who fought very hard for the rights we enjoy now we need to fight just as hard against the depravity that has infected our own culture. Just because you are gay does not mean you have to be at a higher risk for HIV. If people are held accountable to know their status, to practice monogamy, and to practice safe sex outside of a relationship, then we would be at no greater risk.

There is a culture of victimization among gays. We need a survivor culture. We need gays to stand up to discrimination and sexual irresponsibility. In the memory of the people who fought very hard for the rights we enjoy now we need to fight just as hard against the depravity that has infected our own culture. Just because you are gay does not mean you have to be at a higher risk for HIV. If people are held accountable to know their status, to practice monogamy, and to practice safe sex outside of a relationship, then we would be at no greater risk.

You aren't going to see homosexuals conform to heterosexual norms like monogamy until you see society come to expect those norms by opening institutions like marriage up to them. There is no benefit in monogamy and marriage to homosexuals as long as they are meaningless gestures.

That's why you need to practice sexual responsibility on a personal level and not compromise that.

There is no benefit in monogamy and marriage to homosexuals as long as they are meaningless gestures.

I would hardly call significantly reducing your risk of HIV "no benefit"

That's why you need to practice sexual responsibility on a personal level and not compromise that

amen brother

You aren't going to see homosexuals conform to heterosexual norms like monogamy until you see society come to expect those norms by opening institutions like marriage up to them. There is no benefit in monogamy and marriage to homosexuals as long as they are meaningless gestures.

That's why you need to practice sexual responsibility on a personal level and not compromise that.

I reject the notion that marriage is the answer. If it were, then countries and states that have same sex marriage would exhibit lower rates of HIV. They don't. The answer has to come from within gay culture. It has to be a movement. We need to seek to not just be free from discrimination but free from disease.

I reject the notion that marriage is the answer. If it were, then countries and states that have same sex marriage would exhibit lower rates of HIV. They don't. The answer has to come from within gay culture. It has to be a movement. We need to seek to not just be free from discrimination but free from disease.

Well Crit...some of the risks in homosexual populations are purely biological in nature and nothing can be done about that. If you made all things equal in terms of practicing condom use, monogamy, etc between a control set of straight people and gay people, you would still see higher infection rates among the gay men because it's just biologically easier to transmit the disease because anal sex lends itself to the transmission of it easier. And no, you aren't gonna get homos to stop practicing anal sex so I don't what you expect to happen.

Risky behavior is personal, not cultural. You have a personal responsibility to protect yourself and use good judgment. Failure to do that and becoming an AIDS statistic is not something that can be blamed on your peers or a group identity. Where you stick your willy and whether you wrap it or not is all on you. No "movement" necessary.

as I said, step 1: admit there is a problem.

all the scientific evidence clearly shows that men who have sex with men are at higher risk of HIV than any other demographic in the US. That is not homophobia or bigotry, just plain simple fact. saying "WTF...Give me a break" does nothing to change the facts OR help solve the problem.
The fact is that you are a bigot and a homophobe. That is a fact. Straight women get AIDS from there husbands that get it from somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom