• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gay couple to be split up to make babies

Pointing to examples of homosexuality in the animal kingdom is no argument for the moral status of homosexuality. It is only useful in combating the charge of homosexuality being "unnatural."

Pointing to examples of homosexuality in the animal kingdom is no argument for the moral status of homosexuality. It is only useful in combating the charge of homosexuality being "unnatural."

but it does go to the argument of whether homosexuality is a choice or is innate.

but it does go to the argument of whether homosexuality is a choice or is innate.

I think anti-gay people might argue that the "choice" of homosexuality applies only to humans. Animals might be innately compelled toward it, but humans have free will and so choose to be homosexual.

The homosexuality is a choice argument has always confused me. Why would anyone in their right mind choose to be gay? Moreover, can these people, through sheer force of will, make themselves become attracted to other people of the same sex? Now that's a talent!

Pointing to examples of homosexuality in the animal kingdom is no argument for the moral status of homosexuality.

agreed, just because it is "natural" doesn't make it right. If we took our moral lead from animal behavior...incest, cannibalism, infanticide, etc would all be acceptable, since they are "natural" activities. FWIW, we would also eat each others ****,, since dogs "naturally" do that. :lamo

It is only useful in combating the charge of homosexuality being "unnatural."

which is a stupid arguement as well.

I think it's all kinda funny. Apparently the german government feels there is more need to produce offspring than to promote political correctness.

I think anti-gay people might argue that the "choice" of homosexuality applies only to humans. Animals might be innately compelled toward it, but humans have free will and so choose to be homosexual.

Yes, they make that and several other bogus arguments. See above.

The homosexuality is a choice argument has always confused me. Why would anyone in their right mind choose to be gay? Moreover, can these people, through sheer force of will, make themselves become attracted to other people of the same sex? Now that's a talent!

Good point. How difficult must it be to go through puberty as a homosexual? It's hard enough for people that society sees as "normal."

Yes, they make that and several other bogus arguments. See above.

Good point. How difficult must it be to go through puberty as a homosexual? It's hard enough for people that society sees as "normal."

a misrepresentation of the anti-homo arguement. I have never heard anyone claim that homosexuality is a conscious choice. I do, however, see many claiming that homosexuality can be caused by environmental factors.

there is a difference and it is disingenuous to equate the two.

a misrepresentation of the anti-homo arguement. I have never heard anyone claim that homosexuality is a conscious choice. I do, however, see many claiming that homosexuality can be caused by environmental factors.

there is a difference and it is disingenuous to equate the two.

If it is caused by environmental factors, and there is quite a lot of evidence that it is at least in part, does that make it a choice?

If it is caused by environmental factors, and there is quite a lot of evidence that it is at least in part, does that make it a choice?

if you could determine which environmental factors cause/promote it and then eliminate/alter them...theoretically you could stop it. (much like you can determine the sex of baby aligators by raising/lowering the temperature at which the eggs are incubated) so in some ways it could be considered a choice, not by the individual, but by those who controlled his/her environment.

although, since homosexuality seems to be a rather benign deviation from the norm, I really don't see that is such a big deal.

if you could determine which environmental factors cause/promote it and then eliminate/alter them...theoretically you could stop it. (much like you can determine the sex of baby aligators by raising/lowering the temperature at which the eggs are incubated) so in some ways it could be considered a choice, not by the individual, but by those who controlled his/her environment.

although, since homosexuality seems to be a rather benign deviation from the norm, I really don't see that is such a big deal.

Yes, if the factors that determine homosexuality could be determined and controlled, then it might become a choice made by someone else, but not by the individual.

And no, it shouldn't be such a big deal, and wouldn't be if no one considered it a sin.

Yes, if the factors that determine homosexuality could be determined and controlled, then it might become a choice made by someone else, but not by the individual.

And no, it shouldn't be such a big deal, and wouldn't be if no one considered it a sin.
In our current enviroment, it's not a big deal - if, however, there were ~10-20 humans (about half male and half female) somehow completely isolated from other humans, say on a random planet that could support humans 5000LY from here, then perhaps it would be a bigger issue, until multiple generations increased the population...

Then again, in that situation, only an unreasonable homosexual man/woman would try to refuse contributing their genetic material to the needs of survival...I think.

In our current enviroment, it's not a big deal - if, however, there were ~10-20 humans (about half male and half female) somehow completely isolated from other humans, say on a random planet that could support humans 5000LY from here, then perhaps it would be a bigger issue, until multiple generations increased the population...

Then again, in that situation, only an unreasonable homosexual man/woman would try to refuse contributing their genetic material to the needs of survival...I think.

Which is why the buzzards that started this thread need to reproduce - There aren't a lot of them left, at least not that particular species.

Which is why the buzzards that started this thread need to reproduce - There aren't a lot of them left, at least not that particular species.
I actually have a few questions about that...

It sounds like, judging from the OP article, these two "Gay" vultures were the only two vultures in that enclosure…

One wonders if the same situation would have occurred had there been two or more female vultures in the same enclosure with them.

But who knows?

I suppose if someone can find a report at some later point in time from now on these vultures adaptations (or lack thereof) to their new situations…

I actually have a few questions about that...

It sounds like, judging from the OP article, these two "Gay" vultures were the only two vultures in that enclosure…

One wonders if the same situation would have occurred had there been two or more female vultures in the same enclosure with them.

But who knows?

I suppose if someone can find a report at some later point in time from now on these vultures adaptations (or lack thereof) to their new situations…

It would be interesting to see whether a female vulture can entice one of the gay males to mate.

"Hey, big boy! What is that aftershave? Oh, smells like essence of dead rabbit. I just love dead rabbit, aged in the sun to perfection."

It would be interesting to see whether a female vulture can entice one of the gay males to mate.

"Hey, big boy! What is that aftershave? Oh, smells like essence of dead rabbit. I just love dead rabbit, aged in the sun to perfection."
"Whoa, is that a hint of Eau De Carcass I smell?" "That really gets me hot"...

:mrgreen:

These animals were room mates, not sexual lovers. Does living with a room mate of the same sex make someone gay?

Back
Top Bottom