• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

'Gay' columnist blasts same-sex marriage

Since when does 'loving and supportive' and paying attention (givng a crap) to a kid equal no discipline? My parents were incredibly loving and supportive and we had lots of rules, punishment, structure, spankings when young, grounding when older (consequences), had to do chores, were taught to be respectful and polite, to do for others, etc etc etc. They were and are very affectionate as well.

Last edited:
Again, then who handles power of attorney, inheritance rights, etc.?

Who handles it when a couple isnt married now? People can go and have all those things done on their own with attorneys...and do. Or dont but it still gets handled.

There is evidence, but it's not kosher to talk about it.

Another downside for children of same-sex couples | The Barbershop: Dennis Byrne, Proprietor

I'm sorry but your beliefs are totally ignorant and based on your feelings and biases and not what the best studies have actually shown.

Isn't it funny that you try to say that yet I'm the only one who ever posts studies?

With 2 different contracts and 2 different designations, how would there be less?

Probably because a lot of people wouldn't bother to care enough to do it.

Isn't it funny that you try to say that yet I'm the only one who ever posts studies?

I think it's funny that you THINK you're the only one who posts studies. I have posted plenty of studies during my time at DP on this issue.

Care to elaborate?

I think it's funny that you THINK you're the only one who posts studies. I have posted plenty of studies during my time at DP on this issue.

Yet you've never presented one with me.

Congratulations, Jet! Stand by for the ride of your life!

If it doesn't matter that they are not traditional parents (opposite gender), why would it matter if they are traditionally married (as opposed to common law, domestic partners, etc)?

or the horrors imposed on many children by opposite sex parents. While I agree that there is a traditional model of a family that can be superior to any other modern interpretation of marriage and family...it's certainly been far more abused and battered by heterosexuals than it has been by homosexuals.

Yet you've never presented one with me.

I had to dig a bit to find this. It's 3 years old:

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...ats-gay-marriage-bill-176.html#post1058523374

Here is the rest:

The studies posted suffer from major problems of convenience sampling, asking questions about children during childhood and not adulthood, not asking the children themselves, not controlling for lurking variables, being conducted by biased researchers, and comparing to single heterosexual parents and not just married heterosexual and biological parents.

Here I will quote from a far more recent (2012) and comprehensive study:

How different are the adult children of parents who have same-sex relationships? Findings from the New Family Structures Study
The article is behind a paywall, so either get yourself to a library or ask me if you have a specific question.

There is much more, but I'd rather not get into copyright issues. I will just highlight the fields where children from gay couples tend to have statistically significant higher rates:
Marijuana use
Frequency of smoking
Frequency of watching tv
Frequency of having been arrested
Frequency of female sex partners (among women)
Frequency of male sex partners (among women)
CES-D Depression index
Current relationship in trouble

And fields where children of gay couples tend to have statistically significant lower rates:
Education attainment
Family of origin safety/security
Self-reported physical health (only for lesbian mothers)
Level of household income

This statement boils down to: You don't understand the purpose of these studies or the questions being asked and the conclusions so you've decided to wave a magic wand and make them all inadmissible.

None of these are factors in denying heterosexuals marriage. So they're irrelevant to the debate. :shrug:

And fields where children of gay couples tend to have statistically significant lower rates:
Education attainment
Family of origin safety/security
Self-reported physical health (only for lesbian mothers)
Level of household income

If this is the standard for denying marriage to same sex couples, black people are going to have a hard time getting married.

This statement boils down to: You don't understand the purpose of these studies or the questions being asked and the conclusions so you've decided to wave a magic wand and make them all inadmissible.

No, I pointed out major flaws in the studies, and then offered a better study that doesn't have these faults.

None of these are factors in denying heterosexuals marriage. So they're irrelevant to the debate. :shrug:

If this is the standard for denying marriage to same sex couples, black people are going to have a hard time getting married.
Isn't it funny how you can post studies that come to opposite conclusions and that's great evidence for why gays should get married, yet when I post a study that comes to the opposite conclusion it is suddenly irrelevant.

I've said nothing about letting gays get married. Having kids, however, seems to be a much thornier issue than gay activists are willing to admit.

The problem is that whether or not the kids of gays have more problems or not, it's not up to society, you or religion, to decide whether gays should have kids. :shrug: It goes against every kind of Libertarian concept on the matter.

Last edited:
Finally some sanity.

Children do not have a right to any particular familial arrangement. If they did, divorce would be illegal. So would getting pregnant out of wedlock. So would adoption by single parents. So on and so forth. This right spoken of by this idiot is a complete fabrication.

Nearly all children of LGBT folks are wanted children. They are almost never accidents that happened on a careless dalliance.

And, if marriage was about children, all couples would be required to give birth to, or otherwise acquire children in order to complete the marriage process. It really wouldn't be that hard to make it so. We don't do it because that isn't what marriage is.

Kids should have no impact on the discussion about gay marriage for another reason (besides the fact that having kids is not and has never been a requirement for getting married, as already pointed out here)

Gay people have kids anyway...married or not. Yes, they reproduce, all the time. The men father kids and the women have babies. Just like any other people, they do it within and outside of committed relationships. The kids are there, one way or another. Seems like a committed relationship, like marriage, would be better in general.

The problem is that whether or not the kids of gays have more problems or not, it's not up to society, you or religion, to decide whether gays should have kids. :shrug: It goes against every kind of Libertarian concept on the matter.

As I just posted, gays still have kids, just like straight people, whether or not they are married. People reproduce, period. The kids are there.

(Not disagreeing with you, just commenting)

Why don't you tell me what the libertarian position on children is then, since you apparently know it so well.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…