• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gay Athletes Could Be Prosecuted at 2014 Winter Olympics, Russian Lawmaker Suggests

Erod

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Gay Athletes Could Be Prosecuted at 2014 Winter Olympics, Russian Lawmaker Suggests - ABC News

MOSCOW -- In Russia it is now illegal to even speak about homosexuality around minors, much less openly display gay pride. Technically the ban is against "propaganda of nontraditional sexual relations" around minors, but the implication for openly gay individuals is clear. Public displays of affection by gays, including holding hands or displaying symbols like a rainbow flag, are now banned. Violators face steep fines and jail time; foreigners face similar penalties plus deportation.So what will happen to openly gay athletes and fans, as well as any vocal supporters or protestors, when Russia hosts the Winter Olympics next year in Sochi?

"If a law has been approved by the federal legislature and signed by the president, then the government has no right to suspend it. It doesn't have the authority," he reportedly said, stressing that he has not heard anything different from Russian officials.

Watch this be what starts global thermonuclear war.

Re: Gay Athletes Could Be Prosecuted at 2014 Winter Olympics, Russian Lawmaker Sugges

Here we go again - another opportunity for the west, led by the United States, to boycott an Olympic Games being held in Russia, to be followed by a boycott of the next Olympic Games to be held in the United States. There was some initial talk about boycotting because Snowden being in Russia, but this seems to be more attractive as a reason.

Re: Gay Athletes Could Be Prosecuted at 2014 Winter Olympics, Russian Lawmaker Sugges

Perhaps they just suspend men's figure skating for this Olympics....problem solved!

If Obama hadn't of bumped Putin out of his gym time at the G8, none of this would be pertinent.

Leaders who shower together, get along. ;)

If Obama hadn't of bumped Putin out of his gym time at the G8, none of this would be pertinent.

Leaders who shower together, get along. ;)

maybe they did shower together and either Obama got to frisky or Putin felt threatened in his manhood by obama's

maybe they did shower together and either Obama got to frisky or Putin felt threatened in his manhood by obama's
I think the security measures prevent that from happening. Can't have two world leaders vying for the same gym....no way!

Global Thermonuclear Swordfight.

I don't think even Michelle feels threatened by Obama's manhood.

If they intend on following through with it that seems as though it's a massive breach of the IOC's charter and grounds for revoking the games. Not that it would happen, but the threat would probably be enough to force at least a temporary cessation of their efforts.

I guess now we'll see if Obama has grown a pair. We should refuse to attend.

Personally, I don't care if we boycott the Olympics or not. There are hundreds of other young athletes who have dedicated their lives to prepare for these games who would be devastated. Boycotting Olympics over petty political squabbles is usually a bad idea, but criminalizing homosexuals... including foreign homosexuals there for legitimate international competitions... might just be going a step too far.

If we do boycott the Russian Olympics, I hope the European nations who also abhor institutionalized criminalization of homosexuals will do the same to show solidarity with the global homosexual community.

Perhaps they just suspend men's figure skating for this Olympics....problem solved!

That tends to occur mainly with western nations' athletes I remember watching the 88 winter games (which the USA had the men's champion, Debi Thomas was close in the ladies but Grinkov and Gordeeva destroyed the US pair) and Peggy Fleming noted the reason why the Russians almost always won the pairs was because the man "wasn't faking it"

Those Russian conservatives are wonderful people! Its unfortunate there are so many Libruls here in the states to keep ours in line.

Those Russian conservatives are wonderful people! Its unfortunate there are so many Libruls here in the states to keep ours in line.
If this is in line I have a bridge you might find a worthy investment.

Personally, I don't care if we boycott the Olympics or not. There are hundreds of other young athletes who have dedicated their lives to prepare for these games who would be devastated. Boycotting Olympics over petty political squabbles is usually a bad idea, but criminalizing homosexuals... including foreign homosexuals there for legitimate international competitions... might just be going a step too far.

If we do boycott the Russian Olympics, I hope the European nations who also abhor institutionalized criminalization of homosexuals will do the same to show solidarity with the global homosexual community.

TBH, I think it's on the IOC to move the games, I know these things take a long time to prepare, but no way should there be an Olympic games in such a backwards country.

If even 1 Olympic athlete, or fan gets arrested under these laws the backlash will be huge, from the IOC, and the international community.

What is the point of this OP other than to criticism the Russian government's stance against homosexuality.

To resolve this issue only requires the coaches advise all USA athletes to not have sex in public while in Russia.

What is the point of this OP other than to criticism the Russian government's stance against homosexuality.

To resolve this issue only requires the coaches advise all USA athletes to not have sex in public while in Russia.

No actually, under the law you can be arrested and detained for 14 days until you are removed from the country for

-Holding hands
-Kissing
-Voicing support for LGBT rights
-Hugging
-Being out as a gay person
-Wearing anything that could identify as acknowledging the existence of LGBT people such as a pride flag pin, having a pride t-shirt etc.

And that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more. So yes, this is a very serious thing for LGBT athletes.

Oh well. Russia's laws are their laws. Nobody protested China and it's laws.. so this is a bunch about nuttin.

When the war's over and you're fighting a cockroach for the last crumb of bread Just remember that the Russkies started it.

* laughs * It's as usual. - In Vietnam - have begun to Vietnamese, in Afghanistan - have begun to Afghans in Iraq - have begun to Iraqis, in Libya - have begun to Libyans .... Everyone knows - in NATO are elves.

After having read all comments, I have one general question.

Is the premise that athletes who have same gender proclivities are so lacking in self-control or discipline they are unable to restrain themselves for four weeks while in a foreign country to participate in the Olympics? Is the premise these athletes, who have worked and trained for years, are going loose focus for four weeks over this issue. It is four weeks out of years in their lives. Russia may publicly put this law out there; however, ate you all so totally benighted as to think China would not have had the same law but not so publicly stated. Russia's law may be egregious but they are a sovereign nation. Athletes at all Olympics have to follow the laws of the nation in which they are participating.

Oh well. Russia's laws are their laws. Nobody protested China and it's laws.. so this is a bunch about nuttin.

Though, as far as I can remember, Chinese laws weren't a direct threat to participants in the Olympic games.

I don't see why Russia should even be allowed to host the games if their laws can be a threat to participants.

Here we go again - another opportunity for the west, led by the United States, to boycott an Olympic Games being held in Russia, to be followed by a boycott of the next Olympic Games to be held in the United States. There was some initial talk about boycotting because Snowden being in Russia, but this seems to be more attractive as a reason.

*laughs* Russian people do not like homosexuals. Among the Russian people have a lot of believers. Faith condemns homosexuality. Remember what happened to Saddam and Gomorrah? In addition, homosexuality - is a mental aberration. In Russia banned propaganda of mentally disabled people. In Russia care about the health of the nation. If homosexuals do not break the law - are not touched. If molest people (especially children) - the police for them to protect, from disgruntled people. Do you really think that a boycott of the Olympics will affect the Russian people? Boycott Olympics - pinprick. The same trouble will be the United States for the next Olympics. It was already in 1980. So what? Most countries will send their teams. And given the fact that the West is turning into a third world country, those who would impose a boycott - will themselves look like idiots.

Well played, sir, well played.

People who think the Olympics will be boycotted don't understand what it has become. It's a feast for multi-national corporations (of which the IOC is one), as well as for the richest people of Russia and whatever other elites can make it. It's an excuse to hand billions of dollars in public tax money to a private corporation, all for the sake of a sporting event.

These big businesses simply don't care about these hotbutton social issues, and neither do the upper crust (including politicians) who all get a nice slice of the pie. Do you know how many people died making way for the Beijing Olympics in China? How many neighborhoods destroyed, and how many lives ruined? There was mega international pressure back then to reconsider China, but it never happened.

I really hate the Russian government and its theocratic sectarian nutjobs who have stoked the fires of prejudice in Russia with all these anti-gay laws, but sadly, given the track record of the IOC, there's little chance it's going to be boycotted. There's just too much money to be made, and the infrastructure is already being laid.

Actually, a lot of social justice researchers have noticed the wave of humans rights problems that follows the Olympics, the worst of which is the trade in human sex slaves, some of them minors. This kind of social injustice seems par for the course whenever the IOC comes up, at this point.

Back
Top Bottom