• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gavin Newsom: "A few decades ago, we didn't experience these kind of things...."

Noodlegawd

Somebody you used to know
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Let the sheer stupidity of that statement sink in, keeping in mind that he's quite obviously talking about the need for more gun control.

I think Newsom today sad something about the 2nd Amendment being a "suicide pact".

Well, I guess he really doesn't want to be President afterall. Because there goes winning Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and a few other states. I guess just like Hillary, Newsom is unaware that presidents need more than just California, NY, NJ, and Illinois to win.

Overall crime is way down since the 80s and 90s. The headlines would have you think otherwise.

Even the remaining crime that occurs can be ameliorated dramatically by investing economically in places that need it.

Instead liberals want more gun control, and conservatives want more ****ing cops (whose budgets keep expanding, just like the military, year over year with marginal results). Two sides of the same damn coin.

Let the sheer stupidity of that statement sink in, keeping in mind that he's quite obviously talking about the need for more gun control.

Wow, that kinda stuff really triggers some folks.

Overall crime is way down since the 80s and 90s. The headlines would have you think otherwise.

Even the remaining crime that occurs can be ameliorated dramatically by investing economically in places that need it.

Instead liberals want more gun control, and conservatives want more ****ing cops (whose budgets keep expanding, just like the military, year over year with marginal results). Two sides of the same damn coin.
Way down DESPITE 270,000,000 more guns in private hands.

To those of us with a normally functioning brain this alone is enough to realize it isn’t the gun. To the leftist not so much lol.

A public registry for gun ownership is actually in the interest of the second amendment. Every American gun owner could put their names in a public phone book for whenever citizens need armed backup.

Perhaps Americans should only be allowed one lead ball with a single flintlock pistol to cover their second amendment rights! If you miss the first shot then you can surrender! If you've a spare lead ball then try to save it and flee! A single-shot sniper needs less bullets than a semi-auto rifle. Hence ammo control can simply compel people to use more accurate weapons.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl - Walk the Plank | Johnny Depp | Keira

California has over 100 gun control laws. They re rated #1 for gun control by Giffords. Everything that the Democrats are proposing for national implementation is already the law in CA. And these things still happen.

Maybe it isn’t the guns after all????

A public registry for gun ownership is actually in the interest of the second amendment. Every American gun owner could put their names in a public phone book for whenever citizens need armed backup.
Err, NO.

The police have no obligation to protect you (look up Warren v District of Columbia). I have even less obligation than them to protect you.

Perhaps Americans should only be allowed one lead ball with a single flintlock pistol to cover their second amendment rights! If you miss the first shot then you can surrender! If you've a spare lead ball then try to save it and flee! A single-shot sniper needs less bullets than a semi-auto rifle. Hence ammo control can simply compel people to use more accurate weapons.
Perhaps Irishmen should only be allowed to post to discussion boards via carrier pigeon. About as relevant as your comment.

I have even less obligation than them to protect you.

So is your willingness to fight against the threat of future government tyranny solely for your own interest rather than the greater good? Being a reserve police officer is much easier than being a militant rebel!

So is your willingness to fight against the threat of future government tyranny solely for your own interest rather than the greater good? Being a reserve police officer is much easier than being a militant rebel!
Your original post was about armed backup. I assumed you were talking about backup to other citizens. Now you are talking about government tyranny.

Two completely different situations.

Bad assumption on my part that the goalposts would stay in one place.

Perhaps Irishmen should only be allowed to post to discussion boards via carrier pigeon.

Or perhaps I'll send messages in bottles floating across the Atlantic! If every American were armed then no one would have to call the police. They could simply shoot a flare into the sky and any armed citizen within a mile long radius would be on hand to help!

By refusing gun control an armed citizen is apparently willing to risk death from armed criminals. As such the standards for helping fellow citizens under fire could be set far higher. When everyone wants such brave weaponry then perhaps bravery should be legally required!

"In law schools around the country it's common for first-year law students to learn about the "no duty to rescue" rule. This legal doctrine states that as an average person you are under no legal obligation to help someone in distress... Some states have adopted "Good Samaritan" laws that impose criminal sanctions against people who do not offer assistance in some situations."
https://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/good-samaritan-laws-protections.htm

Anyone who wants to advertise the fact that they own a gun can do that now.

Your original post was about armed backup. I assumed you were talking about backup to other citizens. Now you are talking about government tyranny.

Two completely different situations.

You're talking to a poster who doesn't recognize the existence of goalposts.

You're talking to a poster who doesn't recognize the existence of goalposts.

Perhaps Americans are so accustomed to projectile warfare that they forget the basic fighting skills of medieval warfare in Europe, Africa and Asia. Just imagine if American soldiers simply constructed giant barbed wire fences on the border with north Vietnam instead of encroaching into their territory? Americans forgot that they were dealing with Viet Cong militants capable of conscripting millions of northern citizens. No amount of guerrilla fighting by US soldiers could overcome a huge enemy population!

Screenshot_20230127_190548.jpg
Great Wall of China - National Geographic

Perhaps Americans are so accustomed to projectile warfare that they forget the basic fighting skills of medieval warfare in Europe, Africa and Asia. Just imagine if American soldiers simply constructed giant barbed wire fences on the border with north Vietnam instead of encroaching into their territory? Americans forgot that they were dealing with Viet Cong militants capable of conscripting millions of northern citizens. No amount of guerrilla fighting by US soldiers could overcome a huge enemy population!

View attachment 67434397
Great Wall of China - National Geographic

You and Trump should get your heads together on this.

Wow, that kinda stuff really triggers some folks.

Yeah, I'm a little triggered by absolute stupidity coupled with a total lack of self-awareness or sense of irony. Gavin has all that in spades.

Where was my trigger warning?

Yeah, I'm a little triggered by absolute stupidity coupled with a total lack of self-awareness or sense of irony. Gavin has all that in spades.

Where was my trigger warning?
So try not to be so stupid and unself-aware next time?

I'm not sure what you expect me to do about that. Take some personal responsibility.

So try not to be so stupid and unself-aware next time?

I'm not sure what you expect me to do about that. Take some personal responsibility.

Aw, look at you trying to be clever (and failing).

Tlrmin, he is the Gov of a state that had 2 mass shootings in a row. What do you want him to say?
Of course he speaks from his pov but I can understand why. Instead of arguing about 2A rights, gun control and everything in between, why aren't we, as a nation, trying to come up with solutions? We need to sit down and talk, rationally.
Aren't you getting frustrated reading about these shootings, on and on again? These shooters are the legal gun owner's worst enemy and it is about time we do something about them.

To what end? Call the posse?

Or perhaps I'll send messages in bottles floating across the Atlantic! If every American were armed then no one would have to call the police. They could simply shoot a flare into the sky and any armed citizen within a mile long radius would be on hand to help!
Taking the law in our own hands? Judge and jury all in one day? Coming to the aid of strangers we know nothing about? Good idea? I don't think so.

Back
Top Bottom