• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gatwick, Heathrow airports order military-grade anti-drone equipment: The Times

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-anti-drone-equipment-the-times-idUSKCN1OX1KX

(Reuters) - London’s Gatwick and Heathrow airports have ordered military-grade anti-drone defenses worth “several million pounds” after drones caused three days of disruption at Gatwick last month, The Times newspaper reported on Thursday.

Transport Minister Chris Grayling met police, aviation and defense chiefs on Thursday to discuss the issue, the report said. The airports did not immediately comment on the report.
===============================================
Even though the Gatwick drone sightings reported recently may be bogus, the British military-industrial complex just got a reason to throw a party.

We’ll see more of this. Drones at airports is a potentially very serious safety AND security issue.

Sweet!!

Drone sized Stingers. How much fun is that!

We’ll see more of this. Drones at airports is a potentially very serious safety AND security issue.

Thanks to drones being more widely available, I think we are going to be seeing more legislation on the registration (or even licensing) of drones for use. I don't think that is a bad thing necessarily as they have the ability to fly in restricted air spaces and can cause great harm to air platforms and even people.

Thanks to drones being more widely available, I think we are going to be seeing more legislation on the registration (or even licensing) of drones for use. I don't think that is a bad thing necessarily as they have the ability to fly in restricted air spaces and can cause great harm to air platforms and even people.

I read that there are currently rules that demand you register a new drone with the FAA before you can operate it. These rules are bound to get tighter, especially if you live near an airport as I do.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-anti-drone-equipment-the-times-idUSKCN1OX1KX

(Reuters) - London’s Gatwick and Heathrow airports have ordered military-grade anti-drone defenses worth “several million pounds” after drones caused three days of disruption at Gatwick last month, The Times newspaper reported on Thursday.

Transport Minister Chris Grayling met police, aviation and defense chiefs on Thursday to discuss the issue, the report said. The airports did not immediately comment on the report.
===============================================
Even though the Gatwick drone sightings reported recently may be bogus, the British military-industrial complex just got a reason to throw a party.

As Hawaii's botched call of a incomimg missile nets Lockheed Martin $.6 Billion:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lockheed-martin-hired-missile-defense-135200273.html

They gotta look like they are doing something when they fail this big, cause this much pain and disruption for citizens....spending big money on a "solution" is just the ticket!

Last edited:

Yeah, I am a drone hobbyist and I see that happening as well. It will help holding irresponsible flyers accountable but it won’t do anything about people with actual criminal intent. It is getting easier and easier to build these things from scratch. Tracking or regulating the parts that make up a drone will not be feasible.

An orgy of unregulated capitalist greed. Just like self driving cars.

The state doesn't want to regulate these areas because it would cost them money in tax take.

Drone disruptions if not yet deaths are an entirely predictable consequence of UK corporate and state greed.

Back
Top Bottom