• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gatwick drone chaos: Flights finally resume after airport's 32-hour shutdown

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/21/uk/gatwick-airport-drone-shutdown-intl-gbr/index.html

On now for some real European news... ;)

One of the UK's biggest airports is finally restarting operations after more than 32 hours of complete shutdown due to repeated drone sightings, affecting more than 110,000 passengers during the busiest travel period of the year.A Thomas Cook flight was the first to land at the airport after almost two days of chaos, according to Flight Radar 24. After hours of screens showing cancellations and re-routing, the airport is now making boarding and last call announcements.
"Gatwick's runway is currently available and a limited number of aircraft are scheduled for departure and arrival," the airport said early Friday.
Gatwick had been closed since 9 p.m. Wednesday local time -- bar a brief reprieve of 45 minutes early Thursday -- after drones were spotted near the airfield. The last drone sighting was more than 24 hours after the first, leaving hundreds of flights grounded.
Thousands of people were stranded at the airport, with 110,000 passengers on 760 flights due to arrive or depart Thursday. Many more were due on Friday, some of the 2.6 million people Gatwick was expected to handle over the Christmas-New Year period.

So let me get this straight, the country with the most surveillance cameras and most robust security services in the world gets into a transport chaos because of a tiny drone? So much for British dependability and efficiency. First the nerve toxin affair and now this. If I was going to book a visit to the UK I would definitely think twice.

Oh and knowing the Brits, their final solution would be is to ban all civilian drones, I bet. :2razz:

This looks like a farce. That they had to deploy army units after a day to deal with a drone is beyond belief.

Probably the Russians were controlling it - it's another almost war like attack. I think it's time Moscow was taught a lesson. We need to see a robust response including more sanctions and diplomatic expulsions, and cyber attacks on Russia.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/21/uk/gatwick-airport-drone-shutdown-intl-gbr/index.html

On now for some real European news... ;)

So let me get this straight, the country with the most surveillance cameras and most robust security services in the world gets into a transport chaos because of a tiny drone? So much for British dependability and efficiency. First the nerve toxin affair and now this. If I was going to book a visit to the UK I would definitely think twice.

Oh and knowing the Brits, their final solution would be is to ban all civilian drones, I bet. :2razz:

What is the correct solution?

Not so easy to answer is it....

Im not in the British government, so I have no say in the matter. You ought to ask them. I just posted the article.

All I can add is that a similar incident happened in Isreal, I believe, and the authorities there dealt with it promptly.

on now for some real european news... ;)

so let me get this straight, the country with the most surveillance cameras and most robust security services in the world gets into a transport chaos because of a tiny drone? So much for british dependability and efficiency. First the nerve toxin affair and now this. If i was going to book a visit to the uk i would definitely think twice.

Oh and knowing the brits, their final solution would be is to ban all civilian drones, i bet. :2razz:

i have told that infant donald trump,to stop playing with his toys around airports

Im not in the British government, so I have no say in the matter. You ought to ask them. I just posted the article.

All I can add is that a similar incident happened in Isreal, I believe, and the authorities there dealt with it promptly.

It would have been nice to see you thinking a little more before you mocked them.

This looks like a farce. That they had to deploy army units after a day to deal with a drone is beyond belief.

Probably the Russians were controlling it - it's another almost war like attack. I think it's time Moscow was taught a lesson. We need to see a robust response including more sanctions and diplomatic expulsions, and cyber attacks on Russia.

Lol. The British government wants us to believe this was done by 'eco-terrorists', but the coincidence of this occurring the same day Putin weighs in on Brexit is suggestive of mischief-making by the Novichok gang:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46630723

It would have been nice to see you thinking a little more before you mocked them.

We used to mock better?

Let's hear your solution then, Mr. Prime Minister.

Hire nerds to operate killer drones to take out the offending drone during these commercial aviation time outs. It may be possible to determine the control frequency used for the offending drone and to locate its source allowing a good talking to by the bobbies.

Drones are a problem that isn't going away and will only get worse. All Govts are trying to figure out what to do with them but there are no real solutions yet

Drones are a problem that isn't going away and will only get worse. All Govts are trying to figure out what to do with them but there are no real solutions yet

Even better I was reading three years ago that what we see in this thread was inevitable, that we needed to be figuring this out, preferably before we made this a legal product.

And here we are, our leaders it seems never got this done.

Shocking I know....

Even better I was reading three years ago that what we see in this thread was inevitable, that we needed to be figuring this out, preferably before we made this a legal product.

And here we are, our leaders it seems never got this done.

Shocking I know....

it isn't a matter of not trying it is a matter of not being able to do much more
https://www.faa.gov/uas/
https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=22615
I have seen the rules updated several times in last few years. Problem is you cant outright ban them, tech is to easy for someone to make themselves and its too hard to find the operator of one when they do fly them where they aren't supposed to. So the best they can do ATM is make rules and hope people comply

What I find funny is that their only solution was to wait it out until the drone ran out of battery power, and then they got surprised when the user either had an industrial drone or changed batteries before sending it out again. You can jam their control frequencies, you can shoot them from the sky, you can pinpoint the signal and arrest the suspect, etc.

And they have yet to find the perp who did it.

it isn't a matter of not trying it is a matter of not being able to do much more
https://www.faa.gov/uas/
https://www.faa.gov/news/fact_sheets/news_story.cfm?newsId=22615
I have seen the rules updated several times in last few years. Problem is you cant outright ban them, tech is to easy for someone to make themselves and its too hard to find the operator of one when they do fly them where they aren't supposed to. So the best they can do ATM is make rules and hope people comply

We never needed to have drones, it was a choice.

Maybe a bad one.

We never needed to have drones, it was a choice.

Maybe a bad one.

We have had RC aircraft for a long time now, drones is just the newest tech

We have had RC aircraft for a long time now, drones is just the newest tech

Much cheaper, much more easy to fly, likely much more popular and thus much more of a problem.

There is no "just" about it.

What I find funny is that their only solution was to wait it out until the drone ran out of battery power, and then they got surprised when the user either had an industrial drone or changed batteries before sending it out again. You can jam their control frequencies, you can shoot them from the sky, you can pinpoint the signal and arrest the suspect, etc.

Jamming near an airport brings risks to other ANS systems, shooting them would be my choice but I think there is some fear of where does the drone land, possible injury death to those on the ground etc etc.. Pinpointing the signal isn't as easy as it sounds you need the tech on place it has to find the right freq to track, perp notices police and shuts down controller and nothing to track anymore etc etc..
I'm not saying nothing can be done but no one has a definitive answer yet. The are having problems with morons and lasers pointed at planes as well.

You have watched to many movies.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

Jamming near an airport brings risks to other ANS systems, shooting them would be my choice but I think there is some fear of where does the drone land, possible injury death to those on the ground etc etc.. Pinpointing the signal isn't as easy as it sounds you need the tech on place it has to find the right freq to track, perp notices police and shuts down controller and nothing to track anymore etc etc..
I'm not saying nothing can be done but no one has a definitive answer yet. The are having problems with morons and lasers pointed at planes as well.

Jamming the specific frequency ought to take care of it, unless the perp knows how to switch to another, most drones on the market dont have that capability. Pinpointing his location is just a matter of triangulation- as long as he kept sending out a signal they could find him.

You have watched to many movies.

Sent from my Honor 8X using Tapatalk

You dont think the Brit security services have any tracking devices? Well, thats you.

Much cheaper, much more easy to fly, likely much more popular and thus much more of a problem.

There is no "just" about it.
All that is due to mor modern tech, an RC airplane from 1960 could cause such a problem at an airport as well. Big difference isn't the ease of flying, it is the VTOL and the onboard camera negating the need for a large open space for takeoff and keeping the A/C in sight of the operator. I do know of 1 small airport that did have a guy flying an RC airplane next to it. The operator was easy to find as he was using a field to take off/land and needed to keep it in sight. Police were dispatched. Dude had no clue he was doing anything wrong. Ignorance can be as dangerous as malice sometimes.

Jamming the specific frequency ought to take care of it, unless the perp knows how to switch to another, most drones on the market dont have that capability. Pinpointing his location is just a matter of triangulation- as long as he kept sending out a signal they could find him.
Which freq are they jamming?
What freq are they tracking?

You dont think the Brit security services have any tracking devices? Well, thats you.
Sure they do, what freq are they tracking?

Which freq are they jamming?
What freq are they tracking?

Sure they do, what freq are they tracking?

They can use trial and error until they get it- that's one way. There's plenty of apps that can track a specific mobile phone that isnt yours- I dont see why they cant apply that tech to drones.

The UK also grinds to a halt when it snows - half an inch is enough to cause dire warnings not to travel and the closure of airports. Apparently it doesn't snow enough so they don't have an infrastructure designed to cope.

The point made by PoS is that a state which is in the forefront of surveillance and the use of drones really should have a plan for dealing with drones.

I don't think that's rocket science. 30 hours to deal with a drone is absurd. It just is.

They can use trial and error until they get it- that's one way. There's plenty of apps that can track a specific mobile phone that isnt yours- I dont see why they cant apply that tech to drones.

They can track a phone when they know which phone to track. As to trial and error you have to cause major disruptions until you get it right, the drone can be on radio freqs using cell phone control etc the different bandwidths to jam is huge.
I think you are oversimplifying the problem and over estimating the ease of solution

They can track a phone when they know which phone to track. As to trial and error you have to cause major disruptions until you get it right, the drone can be on radio freqs using cell phone control etc the different bandwidths to jam is huge.
I think you are oversimplifying the problem and over estimating the ease of solution

The point Im making is they didnt have an alternate plan in place. They wasted 32 hours and hundreds of thousands of passengers were disrupted anyway. If that wasn't enough incentive for you, well I dont know what else to say.

The UK also grinds to a halt when it snows - half an inch is enough to cause dire warnings not to travel and the closure of airports. Apparently it doesn't snow enough so they don't have an infrastructure designed to cope.

The point made by PoS is that a state which is in the forefront of surveillance and the use of drones really should have a plan for dealing with drones.

I don't think that's rocket science. 30 hours to deal with a drone is absurd. It just is.
Exactly. 32 hours, and they did nothing. They didnt even catch the perp.

Back
Top Bottom