• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gatwick drone chaos: Flights finally resume after airport's 32-hour shutdown

That's called speculation, you have no idea what kind of drone this was.

Not speculation at all.

It doesn't matter what kind of drone they have, most hobbyist drones are built from custom parts. But if they are broadcasting on 5.8ghz than ANYONE with a monitor and antenna can receive their signal. This is how spectators at drone racing events are able to switch between watching the FPV feed of various pilots using EVERY type of vTx.

Not speculation at all.

It doesn't matter what kind of drone they have, most hobbyist drones are built from custom parts. But if they are broadcasting on 5.8ghz than ANYONE with a monitor and antenna can receive their signal. This is how spectators at drone racing events are able to switch between watching the FPV feed of various pilots using EVERY type of vTx.

Unless this is more sophisticated than that. I'm sure we will find out in good time what they were dealing with.

Unless this is more sophisticated than that. I'm sure we will find out in good time what they were dealing with.

More sophisticated than the best available hobbyist tech? Unless this is a military operation, that certainly wouldn't be the case.

Drones are a problem that isn't going away and will only get worse. All Govts are trying to figure out what to do with them but there are no real solutions yet

Lawmaking is not advancing as fast as technology. It seldom does.

Property ownership extends "from the center of the earth to the heavens above". In the US at least, the government has a right of way for air traffic extending from 500 ft above the highest point on my property upward. I control the lower portion.

Simply, unless you own substantial acreage, you have no place to fly the things. I don't want drones taking photos from above my property. The government is not interested in obstructions flying in their right of way.

Whether in my space or the government's, they are targets.

More sophisticated than the best available hobbyist tech? Unless this is a military operation, that certainly wouldn't be the case.

and it could very will be associated with a country's military, we recently had a certain country release toxic nerve agents within our borders so this would be par for the course.

Jamming the specific frequency ought to take care of it, unless the perp knows how to switch to another, most drones on the market dont have that capability. Pinpointing his location is just a matter of triangulation- as long as he kept sending out a signal they could find him.

You dont think the Brit security services have any tracking devices? Well, thats you.

It depends on how the drone is being controlled. Some can be controlled by cell phones, which in a major city would be very difficult to isolate the signal and determine the source. Radar is unlikely to work, I expect the size of the drone was rather small. Military radar could I expect. The most logical method would be visual, to determine the area in which it landed, then lock down the area and do a building by building search with a blanket search warrant

No I don't.

Exactly, which means the drone is being landed near the operator to retrieve it. So finding its location, which would take < a minute with a vtx monitor/antenna that costs < $50, also means finding the operator.

So you're suggesting they could find a drone in a 60 sq km area within a minute and then find the operator who could be anywhere in a hugely built-up area?

So you're suggesting they could find a drone in a 60 sq km area within a minute and then find the operator who could be anywhere in a hugely built-up area?

Unlike Heathrow the area round Gatwick isn't hugely built-up.

FWIW, earlier this week folks were posting pictures on reddit of "Gatwick airport from my drone."

Could have just been part of the ruse, or a different ruse.

Jamming the specific frequency ought to take care of it, unless the perp knows how to switch to another, most drones on the market dont have that capability. Pinpointing his location is just a matter of triangulation- as long as he kept sending out a signal they could find him.

You dont think the Brit security services have any tracking devices? Well, thats you.

Everything you mention can be countered with sufficient knowledge. It really isn't as simple as you think.

Hire nerds to operate killer drones to take out the offending drone during these commercial aviation time outs. It may be possible to determine the control frequency used for the offending drone and to locate its source allowing a good talking to by the bobbies.

There are some kickass drone racers who would love a paying gig like that.

~ Oh and knowing the Brits, their final solution would be is to ban all civilian drones, I bet. :2razz:

Two have been arrested.

You'd also lose your bet. Having read some of the rest of the comments it's clear that some posters have been watching too much TV and seeing people tracking gadgets and phones within 5 minutes on some TV shows.

British police employed the use of the Drone Dome system, which was designed for use in Syria.
It's an Israeli system that detects drones using a special radar and jams the communication between the drone operator and the drone, allowing others to take control.

British police employed the use of the Drone Dome system, which was designed for use in Syria.
It's an Israeli system that detects drones using a special radar and jams the communication between the drone operator and the drone, allowing others to take control.

Drone Dome has been spotted on the roof at Gatwick but it appears to be an old fashioned eye witness type lead where a cyclist was spotted packing away a 4ft and 2ft drone.

NINTCHDBPICT000457624374.jpg

Driver Paul Motts, 52, spotted the man "in this 30s and in hi-vis clothing" in a country lane four miles from the runway. on Thursday night.

The EDF Energy manager said: “I was delivering a parcel and drove past a suspicious man in fluorescent cycling gear crouching over a large drone which was all lit up.
“It was a big thing with lights on its arms and roughly 4ft across.

“He had a smaller drone, about 2ft across, next to him.
“He was leaning over and doing something to it. He was totally focused and did not look up when I drove past.

Still early in the story and details are coming out.

I never said they did. That said even an expensive vTx setup cost only hundreds, which is nothing compared to the money lost grounding all these planes.
They need not be using vTx

Because it would be an ideal location to receive a vTx transmission. I also mentioned having someone anywhere else at a distance to triangulate.
Airport sure, ATC tower no. Even most ATC doesnt have the antennas on the towers.

I am, as a licensed ham radio tech who has built several drones and is active in the FPV community.
Thats nice but it doenst mean they have to be using them. Sure if someone buys one from the store that does then yes but they can also build one NOT doing so or use cell controlled drones.

Those drones are using wifi fpv and have FAR less range than a 5.8ghz signal at say 200mw.
And?? Does that mean they cannot be a hasard to aircraft?

Yes, very likely either using the FrSky protocol, or Spectrum, or TBS Crossfire, least likely being Flysky.
Thanx for agreeing

Only to people who have aren't licensed in radio.

I have a radio operators licence and understand why certain frequences are alloted for certain uses. I also understand that being alloted for a certain use doesnt mean it cannot be used for something else any more than making it illegal to rob a bank means banks cannot be robbed.

Lawmaking is not advancing as fast as technology. It seldom does.
Agreed

Property ownership extends "from the center of the earth to the heavens above". In the US at least, the government has a right of way for air traffic extending from 500 ft above the highest point on my property upward. I control the lower portion.

Simply, unless you own substantial acreage, you have no place to fly the things. I don't want drones taking photos from above my property. The government is not interested in obstructions flying in their right of way.

Whether in my space or the government's, they are targets.
I have no problem with you taking down a drone that overflys your property. Not sure what the legal issues may of you doing so but I would be on your side

Agreed

I have no problem with you taking down a drone that overflys your property. Not sure what the legal issues may of you doing so but I would be on your side

It's been a while, but I believe an animal rights group used a drone to take photos of a hunt club property. I think the rights group lost.

And after having all their details revealed by the Sunday papers, the Crawley couple have been released without charges.

And after having all their details revealed by the Sunday papers, the Crawley couple have been released without charges.
It's why I'd never buy a drone.

Except, that is, one capable of launching hellfires at the quarters of Sunday papers.

Stranger and stranger. It appears Drone Dome was used and may have brought any drones down but it couldn't help identify location so any suspects remain at large if these two are innocent.

So its back to square one for the authorities. Typical.

Back
Top Bottom