• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Gasoline

128shot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Aren't there different types of gasoline?

IE one for winter months, one for summer months

or is it just one straight refined gasoline that works in all seasons?

Don't they call this process cracking?

Yes there are 'summer blends' and 'winter blends' along with many other blends. These blends are primarily for emmision purposes. Here is a link that might give you some insight of the reasons for the various blends

Gasoline Blends

Cracking is just another part of the refining process. The link below will show you the basic process of turning crude into gasoline (and other products).

The illustration at the bottom of the first page represents a typical, basic crude unit or most times called a 'crude still'.

If you'll notice that the illustration on the second page has added a reformer, an alkylation unit (alky unit), a cracking unit and a coker. These are seperate units in a refinery. Some refineries have more than one of these process units, some smaller refinerys don't have all of them, most notably a cracking unit and/or coker. These smaller refineries will sell their feedstock to the larger refineries to finish the process.

Refining Crude

Hope this answers some of your questions.
I provided these links because I think they can explain the process a little better and more clear than I can. Plus with the illustrations in the second link it makes it easier to 'see' how something works rather than just reading and trying to imagine it.

Back
Top Bottom