• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gasoline prices falling under Trump

marke

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Trump has been instrumental in opening up domestic oil production in the US, which has led to declining prices at the pump. Leftist liberals and environmentalists are enraged, but consumers are delighted. I don't think environmentalists have as much support from Americans when Americans begin to understand how much environtalism enthusiasm translated into bad public policies drives up consumer costs.

So what? So too is water wet under Trump.
I'm not saying the price of gasoline isn't falling. I'm saying that gasoline's price falling is little but an emotional satisfier, not a germane indicator of an economy's health or declination/lack thereof.

Falling oil prices are usually a result of decreased world demand, which isn't a good economic indicator.

It's nice, but my favorite economic indicators aren't showing much change.

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

fredgraph.png

These are problems that stretch back over multiple presidencies, and both parties. There's a lot of work to be done.

I'm not saying the price of gasoline isn't falling. I'm saying that gasoline's price falling is little but an emotional satisfier, not a germane indicator of an economy's health or declination/lack thereof.
Falling oil prices are usually a result of decreased world demand, which isn't a good economic indicator.

• Oil prices are not gasoline prices.
  • Read the documents I referenced, most importantly the first and last one. Oil is not among the leading or lagging economic indicators. If you have published something that's methodologically credible and that asserts oil prices should be among the leading or lagging indicators, by all means, point me to your paper showing/arguing thus.

At any date, I expect to see a thread about how Trump has caused a reduction in the rate at which cats get run over by cars.

At any date, I expect to see a thread about how Trump has caused a reduction in the rate at which cats get run over by cars.

More likely to be a thread about Trump causing more cat deaths, but your point is taken.

Trump has been instrumental in opening up domestic oil production in the US, which has led to declining prices at the pump. Leftist liberals and environmentalists are enraged, but consumers are delighted. I don't think environmentalists have as much support from Americans when Americans begin to understand how much environtalism enthusiasm translated into bad public policies drives up consumer costs.

So are you saying that we should support Trump ?

Ever heard of the adage, "if you live by the sword you must die by it"? that can be extrapolated over to "if you live by a stat and you claim you responsible for it going down, you must also claim responsibility for it going up". Remember that the next time it climbs, and it always does climb.

In the meantime, some fact checking

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/pol...le-for-Falling-Gasoline-Prices-501499511.html
“No one, not the Saudis nor the U.S. President, has a handle on a joystick that can tilt [oil] prices dramatically one way or another.”

More likely to be a thread about Trump causing more cat deaths, but your point is taken.

In this day and age, media is balanced if we count actual media. The whole "MSM" thing tied to cable networks is silly. People get their news from every damn place. Just as much left-leaning is now available to right-leaning, given the whole totality of media. And I most certainly do not see a situation where left-leaning media is measurably more ridiculous than right-leaning. It's all over the place.

So, to be fair, we might have salon.com and breitbart fighting about whether or not Trump caused the increase in cat deaths, when in reality he had jack to do with it either way.

Why always the glass half empty. It is also caused by excess supply. The waivers given on Iran sanctions caught producers by surprise. In addition we are producing record amounts in the U.S.

In this day and age, media is balanced if we count actual media. The whole "MSM" thing tied to cable networks is silly. People get their news from every damn place. Just as much left-leaning is now available to right-leaning, given the whole totality of media. And I most certainly do not see a situation where left-leaning media is measurably more ridiculous than right-leaning. It's all over the place.

So, to be fair, we might have salon.com and breitbart fighting about whether or not Trump caused the increase in cat deaths, when in reality he had jack to do with it either way.

Threads being started have little to do with any reliable news source being cited as cause for them.

Why always the glass half empty. It is also caused by excess supply. The waivers given on Iran sanctions caught producers by surprise. In addition we are producing record amounts in the U.S.

Capture.jpg

While world oil production is up 3.28% in the last year, gas prices have fallen considerably more than 3.28% in the last year.

Threads being started have little to do with any reliable news source being cited as cause for them.

That I don't dispute. Have I misread you?

I think we were saying the same thing and your remark bounced off of mine to note there are plenty of examples of the same on the far left side. Yes, there are, and it sucks. But the best we can do is reprimand those for running with anything from a junk site and, ourselves, read a mix of more respectable sites. That's it, really, unless we're independently wealthy and can afford to become a sleuth for purposes of personal understanding.

We see it so commonly regarding the economy. President + Economic State = fault or credit. No. All of this stuff is so very much more complicated, but most people seem to be going through life with the attention span of severely concussed goldfish these days, so that's what they're served. If you can't say it in three sentences, they zone out. That's all one gets with the cursed "Twitter", after all. So we get:

"The economy was good and is getting better! PRAISE TRUMP!"

"The economy was bad late-Bush! DAMN BUSH!"

When really, you need a Ph.D and a whole lot of time to tease out all the factors in play, and even then it's not a hard science.

it's creeping back up a bit, but i enjoyed filling up for a buck ninety nine a gallon today.

Good point. I am forced in my own posts to key MSM when I mean MSM and key Cable News Networks when I mean Cable News Networks.

Actually US crude oil production has been increasing since 2010, a bit before tRump… :roll:

Declining prices is 'enraging' oil producing fly-over states as well. Falling prices hurts the oil patch and the local economies. So some very conservative folks ain't happy either...

Be nice if some with little if any real understanding of energy production just sat back and watched... oil production ROSE under 'environmental enthusiasm'. Some Americans need to stop and think about facts over tRumpisms… :peace

For all you sour-puss liberals on this thread:

"Economics: What seemed like an impossibility just a few years ago is now a reality for many across the country: gasoline that costs less than $2 a gallon. It's amazing for many reasons.
... "We can't just drill our way to lower gas prices," ..."

https://www.investors.com/politics/editorials/2-a-gallon-gas-prices/

Ever heard of the adage, "if you live by the sword you must die by it"? that can be extrapolated over to "if you live by a stat and you claim you responsible for it going down, you must also claim responsibility for it going up". Remember that the next time it climbs, and it always does climb.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/pol...le-for-Falling-Gasoline-Prices-501499511.html

Not true - Trump's actions regarding Iran helped drive prices up during the summer.

My car only takes 93 octane, so that's not happening for me. I know, self inflicted wound. ;)

though it isn't my current daily driver, i have had a Mini since 2010, which also only takes premium.

The OP wasn't talking about "economic health". He was talking about consumer costs and consumer sentiment, as well as the possibility that consumers might not support environmentalists.

Your post is essentially irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

My car only takes 93 octane, so that's not happening for me. I know, self inflicted wound. ;)

That's the nice thing about Colorado...except for very high end engines, almost all will run on regular. It's because of the altitude.

Of course, don't think that's a reason to leave Texas and move to Colorado. I'd move to Texas if I ever found the proper motivation.

So are you saying that we should support Trump ?

No, I am not campaigning for Trump. Let him do his own campaigning. I just thank God Trump finally got American oil production opened up after so many years of objections from Muslims and environmentalists and assorted unAmerican leftists.

Half of the pump price for gasoline is taxes, to be sure, but the cost of gasoline has still cone down recently and one of the factors has been greater production of oil from American fields. Obama had his reasons for repressing oil production in the US but, thank God, Trump does not hold those same views.

Back
Top Bottom