• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Gas Rumor, Causes Caos

stsburns

American Infidel
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
Gas Price Rumor Causes Fueling Frenzy
Gas Price Rumor And TV5 Forum Reactions

You saw it here, you saw it on the streets, and you heard it on the radio. Hundreds of people packed the pumps, thinking gas was going to be hiked to over three dollars a gallon but it turned out to be untrue.

People are scratching their heads still wondering how this news got around. We sent Alix Hayes to investigate. At gas stations across Mid-Michigan things were back to normal Wednesday July 10th but the scene the day before, when word of mouth spread that gas prices were surging prompted panicked drivers to pack filling stations fearful their tanks would cost upwards of three dollars a gallon, at any moment.

It was big business for gas stations all over the area it all started when Murphy-Oil employees at a Midland Wal-Mart were testing a new digital gas-gauge sign. A TV5 viewer sent us the picture to the right, of the pumps that confirmed the price read gasoline for three dollars to three-dollars and twenty cents. It's now been fixed, but the rumors spread fast, prompting the Governor to remind the Department of Agriculture to investigate sudden gas gouging. TV5 received a number of calls of other gas stations taking advantage of the rumors, by spiking the price to more than three dollars, but by the time our cameras showed up, prices were high, but normal. If you want to complain about the gas prices call the state at: 1-800-mda-fuel. http://www.wnem.com/Global/story.asp?S=3613528&nav=7k75cJft
Like I said "Don't belive the Hype!"

It's only $2.99 here.

vauge said:
It's only $2.99 here.
All of the off base pumps here are $3.29+. And the only cheap one around here is on the Military Base Cherry Point. Which the Base General warned the gas stations on the base, if they upped the prices, he would shut them down. So the Cherry Point Base gas stations had stayed at $2.45. Anywhere else around here its at least $3+ and $6 in Raliegh our capital.

stsburns said:
All of the off base pumps here are $3.29+. And the only cheap one around here is on the Military Base Cherry Point. Which the Base General warned the gas stations on the base, if they upped the prices, he would shut them down. So the Cherry Point Base gas stations had stayed at $2.45. Anywhere else around here its at least $3+ and $6 in Raliegh our capital.

Returned from Parris Island today, our youngest became a Marine this week. Going over gas went from $2.79 to $3.00 (premium grade). This morning in Beaufort SC it was $3.30. Hit Jacksonville FL and it was down to $3.03. Got home to Mobile AL and the paper was quoting the local jobbers as saying there is NO shortage people are just panicing. If everyone just buys thier regular amounts the supply is just fine.

BTW my oldest is station at Cherry Point, VMAQ-1 which is in Iraq right now.

It's not hype.. Gas is $3.29/gal here and my friend in Atlanta told me some places were charging $5.50/gal.

It's $3.40 cents in Virginia Beach and there are official reports of gas siphoning from people's cars already.....bastards.

Yeah, Us North Kakalackians are getting it hardcore!

I've seen 3-4 Gas Stations completely out of gas. The highest price I've seen is $3.30/ Gallon.

I was talking to this guy from Pakistan and he mentioned how gas in the middle-east is around $.05/Gallon, I was wondering "Dubya Tea F, Why don't we buy it from them!?" :rofl

This is why the war for "oil" thing is tiring. I say the next time we go to war..we DO go for oil!

GySgt said:
It's $3.40 cents in Virginia Beach and there are official reports of gas siphoning from people's cars already.....bastards.
I bought a locking gas cap about a year ago. There only $10-15 at most autoparts stores. I'm sure a determined theif could still get the cap off but at least it wont be as easy.

scottyz said:
I bought a locking gas cap about a year ago. There only $10-15 at most autoparts stores. I'm sure a determined theif could still get the cap off but at least it wont be as easy.

Great idea. Unfortunately the masses thought of it before I realized it would be a problem. Nobody had them in stock yesterday.

GySgt said:
This is why the war for "oil" thing is tiring. I say the next time we go to war..we DO go for oil!

Or just take some while we're in Iraq. The Iraqi populace have more worries then Americans taking their oil. They seem to care about more important things, like life or saftey. That's a direct opposite of our Government, who seems to only care about political agendas and getting re-elections (not directed to any one President). I've got faith in our development teams, who are currently working on the creation of more Hydrogen Engines. It'll take a long time, but then again, it did take ages for people to catch on to the usage of Automobiles in the first place.

scottyz said:

That's why you hook-up an automatic shot-gun. So when someone tries to take off your cap, BOOM!

Arch Enemy said:
Or just take some while we're in Iraq. The Iraqi populace have more worries then Americans taking their oil. They seem to care about more important things, like life or saftey. That's a direct opposite of our Government, who seems to only care about political agendas and getting re-elections (not directed to any one President). I've got faith in our development teams, who are currently working on the creation of more Hydrogen Engines. It'll take a long time, but then again, it did take ages for people to catch on to the usage of Automobiles in the first place.

I had a science teacher this last year who was born and raised in Sweden. He is literally a rocket scientists. He works at the NASA building here in Hampton Roads. He said that solar power (he's experimenting with it) is a long ways from being anything commercial and hydrogen is closer than people think, but we still have hurdles to cross before we get there. In the mean time...it's good ol' black crude.

Don't believe the hype??? The hype is alwready here in New England. Its $3.39 a gallon here for regular.

taxpayer said:
Don't believe the hype??? The hype is alwready here in New England. Its $3.39 a gallon here for regular.
It was a stable $2.79 here till the hurricane, then they intentionally shot up the prices here. Of course the gas stations here do shoot up prices after NC hurricanes, to make a quick buck. But it wasn't here, they should not have shot up their prices. And just recently its gotton down to a mere $2.99, which is really $3.00 is what I really pay. And all that caused prices to rise was just a rumor that we were out of oil, which was not case. Also another lie is that the New Orleans refineries were out due to the hurricane, yet their are 7 other refineries in Louisiana they can send oil to! My uncle works for one of them in Louisiana. Citgo to be exact!

vauge said:
It's only $2.99 here.

ONLY! In TX, where gas is supposed to be cheaper, it is $3.09-$3.19! Are the gas prices going to stay like this? I don't want a political answer, I just want facts.

GySgt said:
I had a science teacher this last year who was born and raised in Sweden. He is literally a rocket scientists. He works at the NASA building here in Hampton Roads. He said that solar power (he's experimenting with it) is a long ways from being anything commercial and hydrogen is closer than people think, but we still have hurdles to cross before we get there. In the mean time...it's good ol' black crude.
I agree that solar power at industrial level is far down the road, but at house level, it works fine. We have more and more solar panels here (state subsidised up to 40% of the price), and more and more people use them to warm water and for heating. We are not California, but even so, they cut the heating bill by 25 to 75%, if they are coupled with measures like double-paned windows (I mean windows with 2 panes of glass.. dunno the exact term in English) and thermostats.

Hydrogen seems to be VERY close now, I agree. A lot of real-life experiments are done right now. I think the only drawback is distribution of the stuff and the price of the cars. For the price, our govts already designed a tax break. For distribution, the oil companies start thinking 'bout it.

In the Netherlands, they also think of forcing oil companies to use bio-diesel (I heard of some 25% of bio-oil mandatory in the diesel). That could also be a temporary solution, although I didn't find any serious studies concerning the pollution levels of that type of gas. I take it it's better than standard diesel, but I'm not totally sure of it.

Let's hope all this goes a bit faster.

CU
Y

Back
Top Bottom