• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Gas prices are too low

clone said:
what about all the gas and natural resources in alaska?
we have more then enough, only we dont like using our own stuff, we want to leech out everything from the middle east first.
thats how the next world war will start, lack of energy in every contry but america. as soon as the oil in the middle east runs out(which will probably happen soon) and america is the only place to get gasoline and oil from, the games over.

We Win
I believe there is still plenty of oil in Texas and Oklahoma...

robin said:
We pay £0.95 per litre in UK which is around $8 dollars per gallon becuase our tax on gas is 66%.
US is 5% of world population but produces 25% of greenhouse gases !
Your fuel is to cheap.
The government will take tax off you one way or another, so it may as well be tax on something that encourages better use of a declining resource & lower greenhouse emissions by driving more fuel efficient cars.
Unless of course one is of the opinion that fuel shortages & greater numbers of hurricanes are desirable.

You need us do you know that? If you want to send fuel prices up in a quick spiral here in the U.S. you will create a deep recession that will take years to recover from; possibly more than a decade to two decades. Let me tell why that affects you. Our economy leads the world. If the U.S. economy catches a cold, your economy will develop pneumonia. Without the investiment opportunities we provide or our buying power abroad you would be paying much more than you do for not only petrol but raincoats, microwave ovens, tv's and medicine. This is a rich country but we are not selfish and never have been.

Please don't believe everything that the British press or European press or the American press says about how unpopular America is. When I went to France I read and watched the media while they and their government hacks tore the U.S. down. I didn't realize how bad we were. I was almost ashamed UNTIL I started spending time with and talking to the French People. Nice folks. I found out they were as unhappy with their media as I am with ours. Their media tells them one side just like ours does but guess what? The French people turned out to be pretty smart. They know what they think and don't believe it when the French Media tells them what they think. The French government under Chirac has less than 25% approval from his own people. Tells you a lot doesn't it?

Yes, the price of oil, fuel and everything else made with it will go up. Yes, the U.S., even though our economic system gives the world things they would never have had such as medical research and new drugs to prolong life, needs to understand we will pay more. Yes. Our government needs to hang all the Democrats and Republicans from the nearest tree and find someone smart enough to be able to work together for the good of the people. So let me ask you. Got any rope?
:duel :cool:

clone said:
what about all the gas and natural resources in alaska?
we have more then enough, only we dont like using our own stuff, we want to leech out everything from the middle east first.
thats how the next world war will start, lack of energy in every contry but america. as soon as the oil in the middle east runs out(which will probably happen soon) and america is the only place to get gasoline and oil from, the games over.

We Win

It's not like we're going to continue our consumption of oil at full-speed until the last barrel is exhausted; that's not how economics works. Even without a national energy policy, oil will still follow the basic rules of supply and demand. As demand increases and supply decreases, the price for oil will go up. This will spur more research into alternative forms of energy, which suddenly look more cost-effective. I doubt we'll EVER exhaust all of the oil on this planet.

taxpayer said:
xxxxxxxxxx
Maybe YOU should extend your self-education.

YA YA YA! I know all about all the other products that depend on oil. So why don't you ask all those other companys to become less dependent on oil to manufacture their products and HIKE their price of OIL and NOT jack their products prices up because of it?

Anyway:
"Y-E-S" I AGREE 100%, the Dems and Repubs BOTH need to get together with this MAJOR problem.
We AIN'T seen "NOTIN" yet! Wait a few weeks when people will be choosing between heating their houses and eating at the current prices never mind after your proposed RAISING of the "oil tax".

I do pretty good on extending my education and keep up pretty well. Do I need to learn more? I could probably do fine where I'm at but no; I'm not satisfied with that. I want to learn and I study and try to add to my knowledge each and every day.

Let's take your YA YA YA attitude for instance:

I QUOTE YOU: "YA YA YA! I know all about all the other products that depend on oil. So why don't you ask all those other companys to become less dependent on oil to manufacture their products and HIKE their price of OIL and NOT jack their products prices up because of it?" END QUOTE

You know all about it huh? "all the other products that depend on oil"? You want me to "ask all those other companys to become less dependent on oil to manufacture their products"? TELL ME: How do they use less oil to manufacture their products when their products are MADE FROM OIL? Understand? Sure the machine might be designed to burn less energy or need less lubrication but the products are made with petroleum. They are made with oil. Oil is an ingredient. They have to use oil in the product to make the product. So, what are you talking about? Let the cost of the ingredients in the product go up and not raise your price? Make an inferior product? Just what are you saying with your YA YA YA?

Oh and, show me where I have ever said (since at least 1977) that we should RAISE TAXES on anything and in particular, oil. Our state just turned down a 5 cent tax on a gallon of gas last Tuesday that was to be used to fix roads and bridges. I was on the over 80% side that voted it down. I don't mind dodging the occasional pothole cause they at least fill them pretty quick. Good time for a tax increase on gas don't you think? Raise taxes? Not me. Where did you get that?

Your take on how oil is used and your reading of my "tax increase" positions leaves me wondering about you. Don't worry though. That's how I learn. I wonder. I'll be waiting to see what you say to this so I might learn more about you. I know you can't wait to explain.

Kandahar said:
It's not like we're going to continue our consumption of oil at full-speed until the last barrel is exhausted; that's not how economics works. Even without a national energy policy, oil will still follow the basic rules of supply and demand. As demand increases and supply decreases, the price for oil will go up. This will spur more research into alternative forms of energy, which suddenly look more cost-effective. I doubt we'll EVER exhaust all of the oil on this planet.

I don't know if/when it will be all gone, but one commercial (Chevron?) says half the world's oil will be gone by 2020. Does that mean we have another 100 years of oil left? I don't know, but I do know that China's and India's consumption is growing by leaps and bounds and the more industrial they become, just by virtue of their populations, they are going to astronomically increase the amount of oil used each day.

I am hoping that the increased gas prices help spur along research and development of alternative fuel sources. We are definitely going in that direction -- I'd just like to see us go a bit faster. On the pollution side of things, we're doing great. On the consumption side, I think we could do better.

gordontravels said:
You need us do you know that? If you want to send fuel prices up in a quick spiral here in the U.S. you will create a deep recession that will take years to recover from; possibly more than a decade to two decades. Let me tell why that affects you. Our economy leads the world. If the U.S. economy catches a cold, your economy will develop pneumonia. Without the investiment opportunities we provide or our buying power abroad you would be paying much more than you do for not only petrol but raincoats, microwave ovens, tv's and medicine. This is a rich country but we are not selfish and never have been.

Please don't believe everything that the British press or European press or the American press says about how unpopular America is. When I went to France I read and watched the media while they and their government hacks tore the U.S. down. I didn't realize how bad we were. I was almost ashamed UNTIL I started spending time with and talking to the French People. Nice folks. I found out they were as unhappy with their media as I am with ours. Their media tells them one side just like ours does but guess what? The French people turned out to be pretty smart. They know what they think and don't believe it when the French Media tells them what they think. The French government under Chirac has less than 25% approval from his own people. Tells you a lot doesn't it?

Yes, the price of oil, fuel and everything else made with it will go up. Yes, the U.S., even though our economic system gives the world things they would never have had such as medical research and new drugs to prolong life, needs to understand we will pay more. Yes. Our government needs to hang all the Democrats and Republicans from the nearest tree and find someone smart enough to be able to work together for the good of the people. So let me ask you. Got any rope?
How could Americans driving smaller more fuel efficient less polluting cars cause the US economy to catch cold ?
On the contrary.. it would help by reducing US demand for oil.
As regards consequences of higher fuel prices in USA... our petrol (gas.. I can speak American) in the UK is twice the price you pay but our economy is very strong.

Last edited:
robin said:
How could Americans driving smaller more fuel efficient less polluting cars cause the US economy to catch cold ?
On the contrary.. it would help by reducing US demand for oil.

Sorry Robin but you don't read posts. I have previously written here that our government and manufacturers need to provide hi mileage vehicles. I've also said they can if they would just quit being politicians that need bucks to run; both Democrats and Republicans.

What I am saying is that Europe and Britain have paid higher prices for years primarily because they have very good mass transit and their demand is lower for petrol. America runs on gasoline and diesel. It is the way our urban, suburban and rural areas are set up. Maybe someone in New York City or San Francisco can take a bus or cable car but in the vast areas of this country you drive.

Driving new fuel efficient cars won't provide a mega-recession (a global recession). Pumping up prices to equal those of Europe and Britain which will bring on higher prices for everything else world wide certainly will provide that mega-recession unless wages go up accordingly. This means that if you are on the other side of the pond you will not only pay your high price for fuel but you may see yours go up even more along with higher prices for shoes and false teeth. Our economy suffers you nearly die.

I think fuel efficient vehicles should have been improved since Toyota and Datsun made inroads into the U.S. in the 70's. It didn't happen though and now we have the Rav 4. Our politicians sit on their hands while their retirement treasure chest gets ever closer and their hands are warm. Hey, warm hands, no problem.

So ok Robin? Lets say those fuel efficient cars get here and we cut our dependency on oil. The price of petrol/gasoline will go through the roof. Now, what will it cost to ride the train or bus? Two, three, four, five, six times what it costs now? Maybe more? How about that lipstick? How about that water hose? How about that Wal-Mart bag; think Wal-Mart will continue to eat the costs and not pass them on to you with higher prices for cheese? How about that shower curtain; that gasket on the fridge; the CD's for your computer; the insulation for anything electrical including inside your computer not to mention the keys? Ready Robin? Open your purse.

We need to conserve oil for the world let alone the U.S. How? You tell me.

gordontravels said:
Robin but you don't read posts. I have previously written here that our government and manufacturers need to provide hi mileage vehicles. I've also said they can if they would just quit being politicians that need bucks to run; both Democrats and Republicans.

What I am saying is that Europe and Britain have paid higher prices for years primarily because they have very good mass transit and their demand is lower for petrol. America runs on gasoline and diesel. It is the way our urban, suburban and rural areas are set up. Maybe someone in New York City or San Francisco can take a bus or cable car but in the vast areas of this country you drive.
No we pay high fuel price in UK becuase the chancellor likes fuel tax. Probably other taxes are lower. Our mass transit is no better than yours.

gordontravels said:
Driving new fuel efficient cars won't provide a mega-recession (a global recession). Pumping up prices to equal those of Europe and Britain which will bring on higher prices for everything else world wide certainly will provide that mega-recession unless wages go up accordingly. This means that if you are on the other side of the pond you will not only pay your high price for fuel but you may see yours go up even more along with higher prices for shoes and false teeth. Our economy suffers you nearly die.
No becuase income tax or other taxes could be reduced in the USA if your fuel tax rose.
gordontravels said:
So ok Robin? Lets say those fuel efficient cars get here and we cut our dependency on oil. The price of petrol/gasoline will go through the roof. Now, what will it cost to ride the train or bus? Two, three, four, five, six times what it costs now? Maybe more? How about that lipstick? How about that water hose? How about that Wal-Mart bag; think Wal-Mart will continue to eat the costs and not pass them on to you with higher prices for cheese? How about that shower curtain; that gasket on the fridge; the CD's for your computer; the insulation for anything electrical including inside your computer not to mention the keys? Ready Robin? Open your purse.

We need to conserve oil for the world let alone the U.S. How? You tell me.
By not driving gas guzzlers of course.
I mean how can you say that fuel at twice the price combined with cars that do twice the mpg is a bad thing for your economy ?
Motoring costs would be no higher for you since the two things would cancel out & would be good for the environment & good for US being less oil dependant.

Last edited:
robin said:
No we pay high fuel price in UK becuase the chancellor likes fuel tax. Probably other taxes are lower. Our mass transit is no better than yours.

No becuase income tax or other taxes could be reduced in the USA if your fuel tax rose.
By not driving gas guzzlers of course.
I mean how can you say that fuel at twice the price combined with cars that do twice the mpg is a bad thing for your economy ?
Motoring costs would be no higher for you since the two things would cancel out & would be good for the environment & good for US being less oil dependant.

Where the heck did you study economics or mass transit when it comes to the U.S.? The Chancellor "likes" fuel tax? Is that a political statement or an economic one or just your personal take? How do you mean "other taxes" probably are lower? In assessment? In totals collected? In percentages? What? In fact, what are you talking about? I think it's your responsibility to make sense and not expect us to figure you out.

Your comment on mass transit is laughable. Sorry but it is. If you go to San Francisco or Boston or New York City we do pretty good just as you do but when you want to go cross country or get out into the parts of the country where mass transit is actually cost prohibitive then it is non existent. If you don't think Europe and Great Britain have better mass transit than the U.S. then I am lost. Please, don't do this to me.

Income taxes and other taxes could be reduced if the fuel tax rose? So then we would pay more one way and get it back another way so why conserve. If I have 10 dollars in my pocket for 10 dollars worth of gas and you want me to pay 15 dollars for the gas and give me other tax breaks that give me 20 dollars in my pocket then what? I'm going to conserve? Tell me; do you know what we pay in fuel, income and sales taxes? Do you know what we produce that you buy? If you say you're making sense on this one I'm going to stop reading you.

Cars that get twice the mileage and we pay twice the price for fuel balances out? Where did you get that? Ok lets say we get 20 miles a gallon out of our fleet now (I think it's like 22.4). We develop a car that gets 100 miles per gallon. It won't be for everyone because of that darn thing called a family but it would make a good commuter. So we just up the fuel economy by 5 times and you are saying OPEC will only up the price of oil by 5 times? What are you going to do when your price goes up even more? Didn't you say you are already paying lots more than us? What are you ready to pay? OPEC includes Venezuela you know. Hope you understand but I doubt it. How about this? 5 1/2 pounds or 9 dollars for a loaf of bread. Hungry?

Sorry, you think it's simple but you only look at the U.S. like it's our fault. We give much to this world like making sure you don't have an iron boot on your neck. We have done that and spent billions and hundreds of thousands of lives doing it. You would do it for us right? I think you should go study your economics and tax rates that you cite and at the very least, get that right. I know I can be caustic and I'm not being complementary to you but; you seem to be in way over your head. Sorry.

gordontravels said:
Actually you need to stop worrying about a president you don't like and extend your self-education. The president has called on Congress to step up the CAFE standards for all vehicles in company fleets. This was some weeks ago and since the "rich loving" you point out so well in your partisanship must mean Republicans, you should understand what higher fuel prices really mean.

Let's say the Republicans are in the pocket of big business. I'm sure you enjoy that proposed thought. DuPont Chemical just announced price increases on over 35,000 of it's products because it is being hurt by those very fuel and oil prices. As many as 58% of CEO's say they plan on raising prices in the next year to try to keep up with higher costs brought about by the cost of oil. Look around your supermarket; from the wrap on cheese to the plastic containers in the deli to the bags you haul your groceries home in, oil is necessary in the manufacturing of everything. Can you spell Aloe Vera?

Your car? Upholstry, tires, dash, knobs, hoses, belts, nothing is exempt from the need for oil in the manufacturing process and the fuels to run the metal fabrication machines. Baby buggies, refridgerators, plumbing pipes, roofing tiles; anything you manufacture needs oil and fuel products.

Europe has been paying in the $5.00 range for petrol for years but I wasn't calling for higher prices to spur fuel economy. I was calling on the Democrats and Republicans. Where are the Democrats that have a voice in Congress as if the media wouldn't let you know if they have something to say? Where are the Republicans that take those ideas and set the agenda. Are these Democrats and Republicans working for us or not. Probably not. I's bi-partisan waste and Democrats and Republicans are so good at it.

If you want to get this country moving for the benefit of all of us then it's important to realize that Democrats and Republicans aren't going away. They simply need to learn to work together and quit worrying about 06 or 08 and get their butts to work in 05. Partisanship feeds less done on our behalf by promoting self promotion. We should expect our representatives to work for us now, regardless the party.

I do not recall this president ever being in favor of in increase in CAFE standards. In fact, I think I remember him saying one time he would veto them. Do you have a link?

Just cant see him doing it, but I could be wrong and I hope I am. Just the same, Bush seems to be working very hard to maintain his "F" from the League of Conservation Voters (first president ever to get such a low rating from the non-partisan organization).

scottyz said:
modified civic? :lol:

Wasn't it Reagan that decided we should get our oil from the Saudis?
Don't blame me for Reagan's decisions, I barely know the guy. Despite popular belief their are some ways to modify your car to get better gas mileage, other than changing its source for a fuel. Add an intake, you will add 2-5hp and get 5 miles more to a gallon of gas. Those box air filters usually get dirty and make a automobile loose miles per gallon. Another example is to get an oil change before 3k miles. If your engine is well lubricated, their is less friction, thus less strain on the engine, and will be worth the $20 you pay to get an oil change.

Also why I asked about modified civic, is because its mostely what all I see around here. They all look like they came from the movie "Fast and the Furious"! No offense attempted in asking whether you car was modified.

Example:
743662_2.jpg

taxpayer said:
And besides:
If we were NOT taxed to death by our crooked big three relatives, Gov-Uncle Sam)---(State-Uncle Joe)---(Local Governments -Uncle Bob) we would probably not even be worried about gas being at $4.00 a gallon, but thats another story.
"A tax is fine for doing wrong, a fine is a tax for doing well"-Anonymous

stsburns said:
Despite popular belief their are some ways to modify your car to get better gas mileage, other than changing its source for a fuel. Add an intake, you will add 2-5hp and get 5 miles more to a gallon of gas. Those box air filters usually get dirty and make a automobile loose miles per gallon.
Unless the air box is poorly designed it wont make much of a difference. Replacing your air filter on a regular schedule is the best thing to do. HP gains from cone filters are pretty unlikely, most people like them simply the sound and appearance. I don't think any of the F&F crowd(aka ricers) is worried about MPG.
Also why I asked about modified civic, is because its mostely what all I see around here. They all look like they came from the movie "Fast and the Furious"! No offense attempted in asking whether you car was modified.

Example:
743662_2.jpg
I would never touch a Civic for anything other than good gas mileage. Modifying them seems pointless since it takes an engine swap or turbo kit to make one fast. Even you if you do make a lot of power it's coming through the tractionally challenged front wheels.

scottyz said:
Unless the air box is poorly designed it wont make much of a difference. Replacing your air filter on a regular schedule is the best thing to do. HP gains from cone filters are pretty unlikely, most people like them simply the sound and appearance. I don't think any of the F&F crowd(aka ricers) is worried about MPG.
Yay you know about "ricers"! Actually if you get you oil changed, or you car repaired, many machanices don't replace the box air filters. In my personal opinion "Air Hog" and cone filters are the best application. You only perchase it once, it lasts the life of the car, as stated in the warranty, and you can clean it instead of replacing it.
I would never touch a Civic for anything other than good gas mileage. Modifying them seems pointless since it takes an engine swap or turbo kit to make one fast. Even you if you do make a lot of power it's coming through the tractionally challenged front wheels.
True, true, front wheel drives get their power from the front wheels, but they can still be efficient? Just do small things, and keep it mostly stock. But when stock fails mechanics usually buy after market. The V6 version of my Dodge Avenger with turbo get's 5mpg more than my 4 cylinder Avenger. But I couldn't afford one due to insurance reasons.

Snoozin said:
I drive a Civic.

I'm just in favor of responsible consumption of nonsustainable fuel sources, and *not* in favor of US reliance on KSA oil.

Think of the window paint as a public awareness campaign. ;)

LOL! I'm still looking for a 30-40 MPG vehicle that will carry my 1000 LB loads.

Until then, i'm stuck with a gas hog that I have to use.

But I hear you! And I see those big SUVs being used to carry around groceries or a new toilet seat in a box!

stsburns said:
Yay you know about "ricers"! Actually if you get you oil changed, or you car repaired, many machanices don't replace the box air filters. In my personal opinion "Air Hog" and cone filters are the best application. You only perchase it once, it lasts the life of the car, as stated in the warranty, and you can clean it instead of replacing it.
I know about ricers. :lol: They're interesting I guess. I've never used Fram Air Hog filters but I'm familiar with the K&N type you can oil.
True, true, front wheel drives get their power from the front wheels, but they can still be efficient? Just do small things, and keep it mostly stock. But when stock fails mechanics usually buy after market. The V6 version of my Dodge Avenger with turbo get's 5mpg more than my 4 cylinder Avenger. But I couldn't afford one due to insurance reasons.
FWD is just as effiecent for the purpose of gas mileage but not for racing.

taxpayer said:
LOL! I'm still looking for a 30-40 MPG vehicle that will carry my 1000 LB loads.

Until then, i'm stuck with a gas hog that I have to use.

But I hear you! And I see those big SUVs being used to carry around groceries or a new toilet seat in a box!
That's exactly what I mean......All show like a peacock and no function. Yes, some people need the bigger vehicles they buy, no doubt. It just seems in my area (Washington DC metro) that it's all more for show. But they will be the first to downsize with the higher gas prices, because they were trying to look like they lived higher than they actually can. People who really need them will figure out how to keep them.

SouthernDemocrat said:
I do not recall this president ever being in favor of in increase in CAFE standards. In fact, I think I remember him saying one time he would veto them. Do you have a link?

Just cant see him doing it, but I could be wrong and I hope I am. Just the same, Bush seems to be working very hard to maintain his "F" from the League of Conservation Voters (first president ever to get such a low rating from the non-partisan organization).

Yes. I have an immediate link for you. Turn your television on right now to C-spam for "Gasoline Prices". Right now there are two tree huggers downing the oil companies and talking about how during the crisis in 2001 the refiners (3) in the Chicago decided to cut back on production. They don't say much about the 4th reformulation of the fuel coming out of these refineries in less than 2 years mandated by the EPA.

We have 13 different gasolines depending on where you live in this country so if one area or more than one have any supply problems they can't buy anywhere else. I remember a few years back where they stopped the fumes in paint by requiring all manufacturers to stop certain additives and make a safer product. Why not with gasoline? Because Illinois isn't California and Boston isn't Dallas.

Watch C-span and learn. Both sides are there.

scottyz said:
I know about ricers. :lol: They're interesting I guess. I've never used Fram Air Hog filters but I'm familiar with the K&N type you can oil.

FWD is just as effiecent for the purpose of gas mileage but not for racing.
Not always true on FWD. Where did racing come in? Sure my filter is cone but it has unrestricted airflow. Unlike box filters where the filter has to placed in a certain way, then has to be latched, and only has one way of flowing air. I just don't like box air filters, they suffocate my car, and messed with my transmission shifts. If the box filter has a plastic case, and has a cloth filter, your mechanic will love you. They replace them, just about any time a car gets repaired. If you get aftermarket, you control him. The mechanic won't make you pay $25 for a $17 air filter, that is going to get replaced anyways, spend the same $25 on an aftermarket and never replace a filter again!
But here is some more helpful information, on statistics of american drivers.

Keep Your Engine Properly Tuned
Fixing a car that is noticeably out of tune or has failed an emissions test can impove its gas mileage by an average of 4 percent, though results vary based on the kind of repair and how well it is done.

Fixing a serious maintenance problem, such as a faulty oxygen sensor, can improve your mileage by as much as 40 percent.

Fuel Economy Benefit: 4%
Equivalent Gasoline Savings: $0.13/gallon

Check & Replace Air Filters Regularly

Replacing a clogged air filter can improve your car's gas mileage by as much as 10 percent. Your car's air filter keeps impurities from damaging the inside of your engine. Not only will replacing a dirty air filter save gas, it will protect your engine.
Fuel Economy Benefit: up to 10%
Equivalent Gasoline Savings: up to $0.31/gallon

Keep Tires Properly Inflated

You can improve your gas mileage by around 3.3 percent by keeping your tires inflated to the proper pressure. Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.4 percent for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires. Properly inflated tires are safer and last longer.

Fuel Economy Benefit: up to 3%
Equivalent Gasoline Savings: up to $0.09/gallon

Use the Recommended Grade of Motor Oil

You can improve your gas mileage by 1-2 percent by using the manufacturer's recommended grade of motor oil. For example, using 10W-30 motor oil in an engine designed to use 5W-30 can lower your gas mileage by 1-2 percent. Using 5W-30 in an engine designed for 5W-20 can lower your gas mileage by 1-1.5 percent. Also, look for motor oil that says "Energy Conserving" on the API performance symbol to be sure it contains friction-reducing additives.

Fuel Economy Benefit: 1-2%
Equivalent Gasoline Savings: $0.03-$0.06/gallon

Note: Cost savings are based on an assumed fuel price of $3.07/gallon
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/drive.shtml

2005 Most and Least Fuel Efficient Vehicles
(ranked by city mpg)

MOST EFFICIENT OVERALL MPG
City Hwy
HONDA INSIGHT 61 66
Most and Least Fuel Efficient Cars
(by EPA Size Class) MPG
City Hwy
Most Efficient Two Seaters
Honda Insight
3 cyl, 1 L, Manual(5) 61 66
Honda Insight
3 cyl, 1 L, Automatic(variable) 57 56
Most Efficient Minicompact Cars
MINI Cooper
4 cyl, 1.6 L, Manual(5), Premium 28 36
MINI Cooper
4 cyl, 1.6 L, Automatic(variable), Premium 26 34
Most Efficient Subcompact Cars
VW New Beetle (Diesel)
4 cyl, 1.9 L, Manual(5) 38 46
VW New Beetle (Diesel)
4 cyl, 1.9 L, Automatic(S6) 35 42
Most Efficient Compact Cars
Honda Civic Hybrid
4 cyl, 1.3 L, Automatic(variable), Regular
48 47
Honda Civic Hybrid
4 cyl, 1.3 L, Manual(5), Regular 46 51
Most Efficient Midsize Cars
Toyota Prius (Hybrid)
4 cyl, 1.5 L, Automatic(Variable), Regular 60 51
Hyundai Elantra
4 cyl, 2 L, Manual(5), Regular 27 34
Most Efficient Large Cars
Toyota Avalon
6 cyl, 3.5 L, Automatic(S5), Regular 22 31
Most Efficient Small Station Wagons
Volkswagen Jetta Wagon (Diesel)
4 cyl, 1.9 L, Manual(5) 36 43
Volkswagen Jetta Wagon (Diesel)
4 cyl, 1.9 L, Automatic(S5) 32 43
Most Efficient Midsize Station Wagons
Volkswagen Passat Wagon (Diesel)
4 cyl, 2 L, Automatic(S5), 27 38
Ford Focus Station Wagon
4 cyl, 2 L, Manual(5), Regular 26 35
Least Fuel Efficient Cars
Least Efficient Two Seaters
Lamborghini L-147 Murcielago, 12 cyl, 6.2 L, Man(6) 9 13
Least Efficient Minicompact Cars
Aston Martin DB9 Volante, 12cyl, 5.9 L, Man(6) 11 17
Aston Martin V12 Vanquish S, 12cyl, 5.9 L, Auto(S6)
Least Efficient Subcompact Cars
Maserati Coupe & Gransport, 8 cyl, 4.2 L, Man(6) 12 17
Maserati Coupe & Gransport, 8 cyl, 4.2 L, Auto(S6)
Least Efficient Compact Cars
Bentley Continental GT, 12cyl, 6L, Auto(S6) 11 18
Least Efficient Midsize Cars
Bentley Arnage, 8 cyl, 6.8 L, Auto(4) 10 14
Least Efficient Large Cars
Bentley Arnage LWB, 8 cyl, 6.8 L, Auto(4) 10 14
Least Efficient Small Station Wagons
Audi S4 Avant 4WD, 8 cyl, 4.2 L, Man(6) 15 21
Least Efficient Midsize Station Wagons
Mercedes-Benz E55 AMG Wagon, 8 cyl, 5.4 L, Auto(S5) 14 21

If my post is too hard to read, here is my source: http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bestworst.shtml

stsburns said:
Not always true on FWD. Where did racing come in? Sure my filter is cone but it has unrestricted airflow. Unlike box filters where the filter has to placed in a certain way, then has to be latched, and only has one way of flowing air. I just don't like box air filters, they suffocate my car, and messed with my transmission shifts. If the box filter has a plastic case, and has a cloth filter, your mechanic will love you. They replace them, just about any time a car gets repaired. If you get aftermarket, you control him. The mechanic won't make you pay $25 for a $17 air filter, that is going to get replaced anyways, spend the same $25 on an aftermarket and never replace a filter again!
But here is some more helpful information, on statistics of american drivers.
Ricers generally do what they do because they think their 17 second car is a race car. They try to make their cars look fast or like race cars. That's where the racing thing came in. Ricers like street racing/drag racing.

Air fiters are generally pretty cheap and easy to replace. Whether or not the stock air box is restrictive or not depends on the design and surface area. Not all air boxes hurt performance. The best thing to do is pipe in air from outside the engine bay with a cold air intake.

scottyz said:
Ricers generally do what they do because they think their 17 second car is a race car. They try to make their cars look fast or like race cars. That's where the racing thing came in. Ricers like street racing/drag racing.

Air fiters are generally pretty cheap and easy to replace. Whether or not the stock air box is restrictive or not depends on the design and surface area. Not all air boxes hurt performance. The best thing to do is pipe in air from outside the engine bay with a cold air intake.
Absolutely, on intakes! I just brought up Ricers just because it's almost a norm here, but hey it made for good conversation!

Back
Top Bottom