• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

GarzaUK - A European Taste of Moderation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarzaUK

British, Irish and everything in-between.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I was born in the troubled city of Belfast, Northern Ireland on Feb 14/15 1984. No-one knows what day I was born, they forgot to check the time (it was around mid-night) lol. I was raised in a British protestant area in North Belfast, I can still remember the militaristic parades and the bonfires with the Irish flag or the Pope on burning on top of it. Loyalist terrorist activity became so bad, we moved to a nearby unionist town.
All through my young life, I loved and played soccer. I have tons of soccer medals I won. I was captain for three years for Greenisland. I even played for my district (East Antrim) in an Northern Ireland Cup Final, Belfast beat us.

When I entered by teenage years, I began to get interested in politics, it was around that time the Northern Ireland Peace Process between the Unionists and the Irish Nationalists were taking place. When you live in a mostly Unionist area, you don't mingle with Irish catholics that much. So in my teenage years I was very conservative, and sadly very prejuduce towards Irish Catholics.

I got into Belfast University and moved into student housing with whom I shared with Irish Catholics. I soon realised by political outlook in life was very wrong and how similar both sides of the Northern Ireland community were. Now most of my friends in Belfast are Irish. It was at that moment I became an easy-going liberal (incidentally this is when Bush was making his claims for war against Iraq which angered be greatly). I took part in the world-wide protests against the Iraq war.

After the re-election of George W. Bush... well everyone was just... WTF! I searched the website looking to vent my frustrations and found this liberal lovefest of a website where everyone hated Bush, needless to say it was boring. Then I came to this website in Jan 2005 where there were both sides of the argument. Within 3-4 weeks I was asked to be a moderator and I have been here ever since. This website is the only political website I am a member of and I'm proud to be a part of it.

I am pro-Europe, pro-choice, anti-death pelanty and believe in the rights and equality of ALL people regardless of race, gender, religion or sexual orientation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom